Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Fuel Mix for Aurora .75 Mills Replica

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:08 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Mix for Aurora .75 Mills Replica

You are most welcome. I am glad we were successful at getting most of your engines to work OK.
Yeah, we forgot about the OK .049, but the next time we get together we can have a go at it,

Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM
william hanshaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earl....

What's your counsel about my sending my MP Jet to Ed Carlson? I haven't seen any offers from the thread, to fix it.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:29 PM
earlwb

Yes please do, he said you could sent it to him to check out. Take him up on the offer.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:12 PM
william hanshaw

Earl,, Thanks....I will mail it out tomorrow. I bought a motorcycle battery today for my little 1/2A starter today. When I ran my engines Sunday afternoon by hand, I ended up cutting my fingers on the plastic props. I was bleeding about as bad as you were the other day when you cut your fingers! I got a brief spurt from the McCoy, then cut my finger so I stopped. A little blood makes the engines run better, maybe! More to follow on this.

I searched for a replacement rubber spinner for my 1/2A astro flight starter. I couldn't find the exact diameter hose in USA standard hoses, so I might try a european parts house to see if they have the exact diameter in metric. I also emailed Astro Flight to see if they sell the replacement rubber spinners. I'll let you know in case you need one too. If needed I can just order two so we'll each have a new one. I ordered some Davis fuel from Tower Hobbies, so I should be on track. Still working on the little VA 0.4 mills replica to free up the contra-piston just a little to widen the compression range enough to get some sputters, at least.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:56 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill just a thought on the finger slicing thing do you think a thin pair of leather driving gloves would help??
just a thought martin
I am still itching to get the neuvo 100 and lightnin bug up there all is ready but still flash and bang out there
see if we get lucky on the weather about 730 might blow out
Old 08-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Aurora Mills run fine on Eric Clutton's "Old English" fuel. I am a heavy leather glove advocate. A diesel should not bite, but will do so when flooded or over compressed. When starting a new to me diesel, I set the compression about like a glow engine would feel. I do not connect the fuel line. I exhaust prime, turn over once to assure no hydro lock, and flip three or four time. If no pop, I turn the compression in 1/8 turn, and flip some more. I keep doing this, with occasional reprime, until the engine starts and runs out the prime. The I hook up the fuel line, open the needle a couple of turns, choke once, then prime and flip. It should be close enough that it will keep running until you can adjust it to a happy condition.

Once you get your Mills run in some, they will start with a single choke, no head prime necessary.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:42 PM
earlwb

Some of his props are razor sharp. I cut my finger when I forgot to use the Chicken stick, I normally use it all the time.
You know, flip the prop X number of times, then re-prime the engine with a drop or two of fuel, and forget to use the chicken stick or gloves. Then you get sliced real good for your absentmindedness.
Gloves work good too. I use them as well.
Fortunately with ether and kersene and oil all over one's fingers, it is less likley you'll get an infection for the troubles.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Ah yes, a mix of ether, kerosene and castor oil is great for killing nasties that may want to infect your "badges of honour"

Highly recommended.