Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

More 2.5cc Diesels

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 12:52 AM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: More 2.5cc Diesels

Hmmn-I must get some readings then-if it's timed too low, then a shim under the liner might see some improvement-there is no exhaust flange per se, so presumably (I've never had it apart) the liner seats on a ledge in the crankcase-and this ledge determines the vertical location of the liner-and hence the timing-similar to a lot of the Taifun diesels of the era. The latter used to seat on a copper washer to seal, so by making up a few washers of different thicknesses, we could experiment. The nice thing-with a diesel you just have to screw the contra further down to compensate-with a glow you'd have to machine the head to increase the depth inside the liner to maintain the same compression ratio..........
I must measure up the timing as well-including the drum valve.............

CJM
Old 08-07-2012, 04:03 AM
123Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be a good project , as I cant find any engine tests and data about this one , It looks good I will look at the carlson site
Old 08-07-2012, 04:32 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Pfeffer 2.5cc replica was tested in the Aeromodeller, April 1997. I have a vague recollection that I may have that issue somewhere.

Ray
Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 AM
paw080

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ffkiwi

Disappointing to hear that its no good for Classic T/R! Not much you can do about cylinder timing-presumably it must be timed too high? Can you give any details on what the perceived limitations were? Otherwise the liner could be shimmed.... If it was induction, then a new drum could be madeI've only bench run it-on F/F style props-and didn't tach it-but the handling is impeccable.............next time I run it I'll try and remember to tach it on a few different prop sizes............I didn't get it new-it came from a deceased estate via a third party-the purchase documentation is still in the box-it was purchased from Engines Unlimited in the UK , Feb 7th, 1997. It hasn't had a lot of running I estimate-but is run-in.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Hi Chris, I have two Pfeffer 2.5CC replicas , yet I've only run one of them for a few very short runs.

I don't understand the low performance reported about this engine. My preliminary testing with a very

tight and not run-in engine was very promising. My moth-eaten documentation shows 15,500+ rpms

with a Russian 8" X 4" prop. The engine ran very smoothly; so I gave the fuel line a pinch for several seconds

and the tach showed rpm spikes over 16,000. I lost interest in everything concerning model testing around

that time. I'm retired now and old modeling urges are sneeking up on me again.

I forgot to mention that my two Pfeffer replicas are different versions. The version I test ran is just like the

ones you've pictured. My other un-run version is the "Special Edition" Team Race version that comes with a

spinner and integral fuel shutoff, also a display stand and plaque. I think they're serial numbered 451-500 or something.

Tony

Old 08-07-2012, 12:11 PM
ffkiwi

Tony-interesting comments-I didn't know there was an even more exclusive version of the replica! As I previously indicated, I was very impressed with the engine when I ran it-but didn't take any tach readings at the time-it was several years ago (before I moved from Christchurch to Wellington) and it was only one of several engines I was running. All I recall was the ease with which it started from cold, set, and hot restarted. The figures you report for an 8x4 are very good-and would put it right up there with with a good Oliver, Eta or Webra Mach-II performance-wise. Josef Pffeffer was no fool when it came to engine design and manufacture-and in the late 50's (I have 1957 stuck in my mind as the year the original appeared) he would have had the Oliver Mk3, the Webra Mach-1, Taifun Tornado and Blizzard, PAW Special and tuned versions of the ED Racer for comparisons with-I doubt he would have designed and developed a low production engine that fell below par with these... [I deliberately exclude the Frog 249 BB as even though contemporary, it was notoriously thirsty-not a desirable attribute in team race!]
Qazimoto-I've dug out the engine test-it shows a BHP peak of 0.34 at 15,500-so about the same as a std Oliver. The test review notes the short transfer timing with no overlap caused by the ports being so wide (but doesn't indicate whether it is the transfers or the exhaust ports! )So obviously the relative timing geometry can not be altered by pushing the transfers higher-so shimming the liner and playing with the drum valve timing would be the only options available in getting more performance-though if the published report is typical, the power is quite adequate. In any case, shimming the liner is going to increase the exhaust duration even further, so may not help at all since it appears that short transfer timing is where the design falls short of ideal.The report also notes the excellent handling-so this seems to be a consistent characteristic of the design.
I wonder if people have fallen into the trap of making invidious comparisons with modern T/R engines-after all, no one would think it fair to compare a Super Tigre G20 with a Nelson 15 for FAI power..........?

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 08-07-2012, 12:59 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: earlwb
One thing I noticed with the model diesel engines is that they tend to cool off when you go to low throttle with a RC version. Then when you go back to WOT you have to wait for the engine to heat up and start running faster and faster. So you have to be careful of the needle valve adjustments, compression etc.
When I set compression there is usually a flat spot where more compression does not yield more RPM then further increase causes RPM to drop off. For CL I use the low end just before it drops off but for throttle use the higher end will usually keep the heat up so it will recover faster when the throttle is moved from slow to fast.

How effective this is depends on engine and fuel of course. Give it a try.

George

Old 08-07-2012, 03:49 PM
qazimoto

ORIGINAL: ffkiwi

Qazimoto-I've dug out the engine test-it shows a BHP peak of 0.34 at 15,500-so about the same as a std Oliver. The test review notes the short transfer timing with no overlap caused by the ports being so wide (but doesn't indicate whether it is the transfers or the exhaust ports! )So obviously the relative timing geometry can not be altered by pushing the transfers higher-so shimming the liner and playing with the drum valve timing would be the only options available in getting more performance-though if the published report is typical, the power is quite adequate. In any case, shimming the liner is going to increase the exhaust duration even further, so may not help at all since it appears that short transfer timing is where the design falls short of ideal.The report also notes the excellent handling-so this seems to be a consistent characteristic of the design.
I wonder if people have fallen into the trap of making invidious comparisons with modern T/R engines-after all, no one would think it fair to compare a Super Tigre G20 with a Nelson 15 for FAI power..........?

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Yes the transfer port timing issue sounds right.

The usual Oz VA TR test prop is an APC 7 x 6. A good competitive modern MOD OT, "fixed up" CS OT, or an R250 will turn +17K on the bench with a 3.6 mm venturi. The R250 having a clear edge.

The R250 will also do 60-64 laps on a 15cc tank.

The Webra Mach 1 was as fast as an Olly I believe but had about half the range. This may be why the Pfeffer hasn't been a great success in vintage team racing. Someone must have tried it.

Would a PAW liner fit?

Are you interested in Vintage or Classic TR? From what I've seen most people are using modern style engines (Fora 15 Junior) in the latter in the UK and Oz anyway.

Ray

Old 08-07-2012, 05:12 PM
ffkiwi

Ray-useful data-I will put an APC 7x6 on it for some benchmarking-and on some of my other 'period' engines such as the Mach-1, Mach-2, Taifun Orkan-so I have feel for how its contemporaries performed relative to it. Webra Mach-1s were a bit thirsty I believe-but small and light so must have gained some benefit from frontal area aspects-or was there a fuselage cross section rule in place at the time? The Taifuns of course were physically quite a lot bigger. 17+K on an APC 7x6 I suggest is a lot more than 0.35BHP-I must look up the calibration charts that were published in AM in the early 90's.

A PAW liner wouldn't work-the Pfeffer one screws in-and though I haven't had it out, the lower part seems to be significantly larger in diameter than is typical-so I doubt a Taifun or Webra one could be substituted. I suppose I could approach NBN (if they're even still in business) about spares-or even a blank liner-but given it was part of a limited production (only 500 copies) replica produced 15 years ago-I'd say the odds of finding any spare parts now are astronomical.....

Classic T/R remains more a possible pipe dream for me, though over the past few months I have been given serious consideration to taking up C/L seriously (as a second string to my current modelling) if my club accedes to a request to put in a circle at our R/C site-which is only a couple of miles from home. [I didn't suggest it, but have supported the proposal at club committee level.] In contrast my FF site is 1-1/4 hours drive away, and currently too wet-after a wetter than normal winter- to even get on.

I can't see the point of putting modern engines in Classic Models-it makes things farcical-and there are always the attempts to weaken the rules. About as sensible as putting a Wankel in a Model T Ford and entering it in a Vintage car rally. I've seen the same attempt to weaken the rules here in Vintage-and it's invariably because people are too damn lazy to obtain suitable engines. I've fought hard against it at various AGMs over the years, but it's generally a losing battle. I have absolutely no issues with the use of replica engines in such events, but I draw the line at modern engines. The NFFS in the US have managed to keep things under control by having a list of approved engines for Nostalgia-which is pretty much the same era, and I see no good reason why the same approach cannot apply for Classic.

I don't know what the NZ rules are for Classic T/R-and what engines are allowed-easy enough to look up on the MFNZ website though.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 09-20-2014, 08:43 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

NBN "1954 Pfeffer 2.5" replica, No. 448. NIB as received for running and setting up for a fellow diesel lover.

I like:

1. Clean, elegant design, backed up with good materials, fits and finish.

2. Rotating lockable venturi insert.

3. Free bottom end using two quality ball races.

4. Contra-piston fit is just right, unlike many Czech engines where they are too tight. Comp screw does not wander.

5. Easy to start hot or cold. Also LOUD. Like they should be, in this configuration.

I don't like:

1. Strange 40E 40 C 20K + up to 3% DII suggested fuel mix in the instructions. 35E, 25C and 40K + 1.5% 2-EHN sport mix used.

2. Cylinder kept wanting to unscrew when being run in, even after belt tightening hot. In the end, I used a precise spanner on the cooling jacket flats to carefully tighten it after a short peaked run. No bruising, so the alloy is up to the task.

3. Piston / liner fit on the example handled is a little 'average'. Slightly slack, and does not hold compression when warm to hot. That said, there is no evidence of scorching on the piston walls so fit must be adequate.

4. Compression screw thread is a little coarse.

5. Can't get over 12,500 RPM on sport mix with an 8 x 6 Master Airscrew grey scimitar prop fitted. So, performance is slightly disappointing even for a 1954 replica.

All in all a good effort, but not a prize winner. My best MARZ 2.5 would wipe it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173[1].JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2033787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0174[1].JPG
Views:	70
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2033788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175[1].JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	2033789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0180[1].JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2033790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0181[1].JPG
Views:	69
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2033791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182[1].JPG
Views:	77
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2033792  
Old 10-05-2014, 08:21 PM
JohnAV8R

Default Mk V OT

Name:	DSCN0064.JPG
Views:	1257
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	2037601   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0065.JPG
Views:	1283
Size:	657.4 KB
ID:	2037602   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0066.JPG
Views:	1279
Size:	669.5 KB
ID:	2037603  
Old 10-10-2014, 12:35 AM
fiery

So ... is it destined to be run, or glass cased?

Would love to know how they handle.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:59 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fiery

5. Can't get over 12,500 RPM on sport mix with an 8 x 6 Master Airscrew grey scimitar prop fitted. So, performance is slightly disappointing even for a 1954 replica.

All in all a good effort, but not a prize winner. My best MARZ 2.5 would wipe it.
It doesn't sound too bad on an 8x6 prop to me, what would you expect, around 13500rpm on that prop?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:17 PM
fiery

I have the AM magazine review of the NBN Pfeffer 2.5D replica. I have uploaded a copy of the engine review article in pdf format. Click on the links below and tab 'open'.

I was too harsh in my assessment. The reviewer only achieved 12,100 rpm on an APC 8 x 6; which is a heavier load than the same size Master Airscrew Scimitar.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
10102014091930-0001.pdf (222.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: pdf
10102014091956-0001.pdf (132.2 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by fiery; 10-22-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:10 PM
JohnAV8R

Hi Fiery,
I'd love to fly it. When? Don't really know. I'd like to build a TR or two and get back into U/C. Presently can't find anyone close by that's interested. Burlington has a U/C circle, but they require the use of a muffler.
Or, I do have a 1/4 Midget (Cox .15) RC that might work. We have a private field, noise is not a problem, but I'm not sure I can see well enough to keep it in sight. Added to the bucket list.
John

PS: 12k on an 8x6 I think is rather good. My Conquest only spins an 8x4 at 18k on the ground and is no slouch.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:58 PM
qazimoto

A good Oliver Tiger MOD 2.5cc diesel will turn a RAM 8 x 6 at 12K rpm. That's the setup for UK c/l "Oliver" combat. The venturi hole size will be on the smaller size for manoeuvring.

So the NBN Pfeffer isn't too bad. A RAM will be a heavier load than an APC 8x6 I suspect.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:51 PM
JohnAV8R

Default AMZ 2.5 diesel

This appears to be a well made engine. Excellent fit, very smooth bearings.
The exhaust is dumped into a collector ring, then a muffler, and may not let the engine breath very well.
No, this one sits in a box and will not get used.

Name:	AMZ 2.5 diesel- (3).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	2044354   Click image for larger version

Name:	AMZ 2.5 diesel- (1).JPG
Views:	94
Size:	538.4 KB
ID:	2044355   Click image for larger version

Name:	AMZ 2.5 diesel- (2).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	592.2 KB
ID:	2044356   Click image for larger version

Name:	AMZ 2.5 diesel- (11).JPG
Views:	92
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	2044357  
Old 11-03-2014, 06:13 PM
fiery

Default Llam A-2

Que es muy agradable y causa una grata impresión porque tiene muchos encantos o atractivos.

Name:	IMG_0264[1].JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2044631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0265[1].JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	2044632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0266[1].JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2044634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267[1].JPG
Views:	108
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2044635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0275.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	2044648  

Last edited by fiery; 11-03-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: ella es hermosa
Old 11-03-2014, 10:10 PM
greggles47

Very attractive Fiery.

Glad to see that Cup day is celebrated there.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:13 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAV8R
Hi Fiery,
I'd love to fly it. When? Don't really know. I'd like to build a TR or two and get back into U/C. Presently can't find anyone close by that's interested. Burlington has a U/C circle, but they require the use of a muffler.
Or, I do have a 1/4 Midget (Cox .15) RC that might work. We have a private field, noise is not a problem, but I'm not sure I can see well enough to keep it in sight. Added to the bucket list.
John

PS: 12k on an 8x6 I think is rather good. My Conquest only spins an 8x4 at 18k on the ground and is no slouch.
There is a paved circle in Toronto at Centennial Park. It is kind of taken over by picnicers, but there is a good club. Balsa Beavers. There is also a Niagara Falls paved circle too. I think there is one guy still interested in Team Race that is also looking for someone to fly/pit or whatever. Vadim, if you need to look him up. He flies a bit of F2D Combat if you need help finding him. They are both pretty close to Ancaster. Wish I was that close.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:01 PM
JohnAV8R

Thanks aspeed. I see you're closer to Windsor. I bought a ST .40 RC from a modeler in Windsor way back when they were "the motor".
I have a spot (family farm) in the Chatham area where I can fly RC or FF over the field. Noise isn't a problem. Actually, it isn't too far from where the Chatham Aeronauts have/had a secondary flying field just along the Prince Albert side road. Toronto is an option, but the traffic is a real killer. It gets worse every year.

So, maybe one day we'll meet up.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 PM
aspeed

We race the LA .25 racers just north of Dresden a couple times a year, along with F2D and slow (80mph) combat, stunt and I guess some scale too. Same schedule in the Toronto/Etobicoke field. I don't go there much any more because it is a bit of a drive. I used to be in Waterloo for 50 years. I would be the good looking tall guy if you come across me.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 PM
JohnAV8R

Thanks aspeed. I'll check the MAAC mag to see if dates and places get posted next summer.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:28 AM
aspeed

http://www.balsabeavers.com/ is a bit more informative on control line events in the area, even into some of the northern US. We normally get a showing of New York, Detroit, and even Chicago flyers sometimes. Sorry for getting off topic.