Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

More 2.5cc Diesels

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default More 2.5cc Diesels

Enough of the Silver Swallows!

The 2.5cc (.15 ci) engine size has always been at the peak of diesel development.

This would be because it's the size engine for the FAI competition classes in F2A, F2C and F2D.

The pics below show some examples, none of the are really suitable for top league competition but all are nicely made and very powerful.

They also come from a variety of countries.

Pics 1-3 are of a Bulgarian POCOM 15 DIESEL it's a Rossi clone and is ABC. This on looks like it was intended for Free Flight because it has a tapped hole in the venturi cavity for a floodoff device. The venturi has the largest hole that I've seen in a diesel. Haven't run it yet.

Pic 4 is of the Pocom and a 90's model US made Nelson 15 AAC diesel set up for the UK diesel combat class.

Pic 5 shows a Ukrainian Fora 15 diesel mk2 Junior and another low timed Nelson 15 D.

Pic 6 shows a Rothwell R250 Vintage racing diesel from Australia. It's essentially an enhanced Oliver Tiger mk3.

Ray

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46555.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1733048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21659.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1733049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84270.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1733050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76626.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1733051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw21251.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1733052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct17251.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1733053  
Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: More 2.5cc Diesels

Right on hanging in there with my PAWS, MVVS and new Taipan 2.5 cc ones martin
Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 AM
qazimoto

Some more:

Pic one Taipan Blackhead, Series 13 2.5cc diesel. Now fitted with a new homemade piston. Awaits running in.

Pic two: Fora Junior mk1. Ukrainian 2.5cc beginners diesel with a few issues. This one has had them fixed up. A superb beginners diesel otherwise. AAC P/l, integral finned liner, push/pull head.

Pic Three: PAW 15 TBR GTS2, perhaps the most powerful conventional diesel available. Designed for British Goodyear racing it has no fuel economy to speak of, but on the same clipped Taipan 7 x 4 as a Nelson diesel comes within a few 100 rpm.

More later,

Ray

Name:	Ge95683.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1733183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12785.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1733184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51126.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1733185  
Old 02-28-2012, 12:48 AM
greggles47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: locktite401

Enough of the Silver Swallows!

The 2.5cc (.15 ci) engine size has always been at the peak of diesel development.

This would be because it's the size engine for the FAI competition classes in F2A, F2C and F2D.

The pics below show some examples, none of the are really suitable for top league competition but all are nicely made and very powerful.

They also come from a variety of countries.

Pics 1-3 are of a Bulgarian POCOM 15 DIESEL it's a Rossi clone and is ABC. This on looks like it was intended for Free Flight because it has a tapped hole in the venturi cavity for a floodoff device. The venturi has the largest hole that I've seen in a diesel. Haven't run it yet.

Pic 4 is of the Pocom and a 90's model US made Nelson 15 AAC diesel set up for the UK diesel combat class.

Pic 5 shows a Ukrainian Fora 15 diesel mk2 Junior and another low timed Nelson 15 D.

Pic 6 shows a Rothwell R250 Vintage racing diesel from Australia. It's essentially an enhanced Oliver Tiger mk3.

Ray

Ray,

The big Bulgarian Bloke is going to need a pressure fuel system. I remember that SS was using bladder tanks in his F1C's in the 80's.

Regards

G
Old 02-28-2012, 01:05 AM
qazimoto

Greg,

Bob Fisher bought it's glow NIB brother about a month ago. Magnificent, as is this one, that's why I bought it (NIB also) when it came up on ebay.

It went unrecognized and I was the only bidder at the base price.

Probably from a custom made batch for their national team at the world champs in the '80s.

I'll make a smaller venturi.

Should be great in a diesel goodyear model.

Ray

Old 02-28-2012, 01:08 AM
qazimoto

Some more:

Pic one Taipan Blackhead, Series 13 2.5cc diesel. Now fitted with an new homemade piston. Awaits running in.

Pic two: Fora Junior mk1. Ukrainian 2.5cc beginners diesel with a few issues. This one has had them fixed up. A supurb beginners diesel otherwise. AAC P/l, intregal finned liner, push/pull head.

Pic Three: PAW 15 TBR GTS2, perhaps the most powerful conventional diesel available. Designed for British Goodyear racing it has no fuel economy to speak of, but on the same clipped Taipan 7 x 4 as a Nelson diesel come within a few 100 rpm.

More later,

Ray
The Fora in the pictures above has a non standard Cox 15 TD Venturi/NVA.

That said I have a diesel trivia question.

The three diesels in the pictures each have an important design feature that they share with the Cox TD 15.

What is it?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM
pe reivers

They have a crankshaft?

I did some tests with the mehanite piston MVVS diesel venturi size. I know the Fora junior has a 3.8mm 5 jet peripheral venturi.
with the MVVS standard 4.5mm peripheral 6 jet venturi I obtained 0.46 hp (MA8x4 @ 16740 rpm). In this form the engine dislikes larger propellers.

With a smaller 3.7 peripheral venturi I got 16100 rpm, but much lowered fuel consumption and much improved fuel draw. The engine hardly lost power when loaded down with up to 9x5 props (11500 rpm), and was still very well behaved.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That said I have a diesel trivia question.

The three diesels in the pictures each have an important design feature that they share with the Cox TD 15.

What is it?

Peripheral jets in the venturi insert.

(Not the best for stunt though.)

Old 02-28-2012, 02:20 PM
pe reivers

Engine 1 and 3 do not have Peripheral jets in the venturi insert. They have the central bar for best fuel draw. yet, the peripheral jetting, if set up right, has both best draw, and best mixing. If not set up right, it's lousy.
You need to have air entry turbulence. You also need to have venturi exit ejector vortex turbulence to get the perfect mix going. The "De Ridder" solution works well here. It has a airflow step in the entrance, and a steeply cut part in the venturi exit, in which the jets are located.
Pictured is the 3.7mm venturi I modified using an insert in the MVVS 4.5mm venturi. Peripheral jets are 0.6mm

Name:	Hf97640.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1733374  
Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Recycled Flyer

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Engine 1 and 3 do not have Peripheral jets in the venturi insert. They have the central bar for best fuel draw.

Are you sure Pe´? From where I stand the engine pictured in frames 1 to 3 looks to have the peripheral system (and not the central bar), unless it is swapped out for a spigot insert and the pics doesn't show it.

But that would be very unusual.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:24 PM
qazimoto

Ok, Engine one: Taipan Series 13 "Blackhead". Standard straight through NVA.

Engine two: A mk 1 Fora Junior which is different to the Fora Junior mk2 also shown above.
The motor has a non standard Cox TD 15 Venturi, Banjo assembly. Normally the Fora Juniors have a single jet Tangental system.

Engine three: A PAW 15 TBR GT2S

The NVA is a SMR (Rothwell) replacement for an OS 15 Glow. It gives a finer adjustment than the standard PAW nva.

No the commonality isn't in the venturi system.

It's obvious just by the pics for the first two engines. The third isn't obvious because most assume that it's something it's not.

That's also a clue to why it out performs more "modern" designs.

Picture Cox TD 15:

Ray
Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 PM
AMB

Talked with BOB DAVIS yesterday think he will get a pix of the FOX 15 on with with his head, soon I hope my guess he had to run some more off
and all made here in the USA martin
Fiery hope to get the 2.5 Taipan fired up in the next day or two,

Lets all wish Hobbsy a speedy recovery he tore his Biceps muscle lifting a heavy log a few days ago
Old 02-28-2012, 05:07 PM
qazimoto

Here's another picture of the PAW, this time the front bearing housing.

There's a couple of interesting features. Firstly the slot in the bearing area between the races from the front bearing to the venturi cavity.

It's probably there to suck excess fuel/oil back from the bearing. I'd suggest it also allows a looser fit for the crank.

Secondly the shaft end-float adjustment allowed by the threaded plate that holds the front bearing in place.

This feature is normally only found in F2C diesel engines I believe.

This has nothing to do with the trivia question above although two things all three engines do have in common is TBR and screw in backplates.

That's not it either..

Ray

Name:	Yv66246.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1733420  
Old 02-28-2012, 05:32 PM
AMB

Locktite 401 That makes a lot of sense plenty of lube to the front bearing then pulled back into the engine martin
Old 02-29-2012, 04:09 AM
qazimoto

They have a crankshaft?

I did some tests with the mehanite piston MVVS diesel venturi size. I know the Fora junior has a 3.8mm 5 jet peripheral venturi.
with the MVVS standard 4.5mm peripheral 6 jet venturi I obtained 0.46 hp (MA8x4 @ 16740 rpm). In this form the engine dislikes larger propellers.

With a smaller 3.7 peripheral venturi I got 16100 rpm, but much lowered fuel consumption and much improved fuel draw. The engine hardly lost power when loaded down with up to 9x5 props (11500 rpm), and was still very well behaved.

Pe, none of the Fora Junior diesels have a peripheral venturi. The dozen or so I've seen have a tangental feed venturi, some of dubious quality.

Also your rpm and power figures seem high for an MVVS 2.5cc diesel. How have you obtained your power figures?

Have you used a ignition improver?

Ray
Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 AM
qazimoto

Here's another, my Spanish Zom 2.5cc mk2 diesel from the late 1970's IIRC. Apparently the Zom's started out as an Oliver Tiger/ Webra 2.5 copy and then were developed on their own design path.

Not a bad diesel but doesn't like hot starting. perhaps a new piston would help but I heard stories that the liner is made of cast iron which complicates the metallurgy of a rebuild.

This pic is off the web and apparently shows a mk1 "Oliver Tiger' like Zom.

Any diesel experts out there know any more about it?

Ray
Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Recycled Flyer

Pe, none of the Fora Junior diesels have a peripheral venturi. The dozen or so I've seen have a tangental feed venturi, some of dubious quality.

Ray
Ray, is this that semantic jungle we are entering again? All peripheral style venturi systems have a tangential feed to them (it makes little sense to do other wise) and all tangential feeds have a jet on the periphery (bar the spigot hybrid types) but do you really mean that the Fora's simply use the one jet rather than a series of annular ones?
Old 02-29-2012, 02:59 PM
qazimoto

ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

Pe, none of the Fora Junior diesels have a peripheral venturi. The dozen or so I've seen have a tangential feed venturi, some of dubious quality.

Ray
Ray, is this that semantic jungle we are entering again? All peripheral style venturi systems have a tangential feed to them (it makes little sense to do other wise) and all tangential feeds have a jet on the periphery (bar the spigot hybrid types) but do you really mean that the Fora's simply use the one jet rather than a series of annular ones?
Chris,

I don't know where you get your information from but in my world a Tangential venturi,as used in many high performance 2.5cc diesel and glows, has a single fuel jet from a NVA positioned Tangentially relative to the venturi.

A Peripheral jet system has many jet holes positioned radially around the "periphery" of the venturi.

My four Fora Juniors had one tangential hole.

I owe Pe an apology here because the 2011 model Fora Junior does indeed have a five holed peripheral setup.

Ray
Old 02-29-2012, 03:34 PM
pe reivers

My power figures were obtained using MA props, and doped fuel. My standard mixture will not allow high rpm. Fuel mixture for power tests was:
20% oil (putoline cart tech, a castor oil reinforced with synthetics)
40% ether
20% Wynn's Diesel+plus+ treatment, contaning about 7.5% 2-ethylhexyl nitrate; 75% staight run kerosene, some solvent naphta, some naphtalene. (2EHN is also known as octyl nitrate, the stuff that amsoil cetane enhancer is made of)
20% farmlight lamp oil C5-20. Flashpoint >65°C
The standard MVVS diesel engine still has a very tight piston and is not completely run in yet.;
I made two extra peripheral venturis with 6 x 0.6mm jets, like the original 4.5mm MVVS venturi. One of 3.7mm, and one of 3.0mm. I used the Ridder system of breaking the airflow, as can be seen in the pitures I posted. The MVVS venturi which gave me the 0.45hp was unmodified.
This horsepower figure was exactly in line with a power graph I borrowed from an American tester. I forgot magazine and tester name.
for Wynn's, look up www.wynns.eu

PS apology accepted

They have a crankshaft?

Also your rpm and power figures seem high for an MVVS 2.5cc diesel. How have you obtained your power figures?

Ray
Old 02-29-2012, 04:55 PM
qazimoto

My power figures were obtained using MA props, and doped fuel. My standard mixture will not allow high rpm. Fuel mixture for power tests was:
20% oil (putoline cart tech, a castor oil reinforced with synthetics)
40% ether
20% Wynn's Diesel+plus+ treatment, contaning about 7.5% 2-ethylhexyl nitrate; 75% staight run kerosene, some solvent naphta, some naphtalene. (2EHN is also known as octyl nitrate, the stuff that amsoil cetane enhancer is made of)
20% farmlight lamp oil C5-20. Flashpoint >65°C
The standard MVVS diesel engine still has a very tight piston and is not completely run in yet.;
I made two extra peripheral venturis with 6 x 0.6mm jets, like the original 4.5mm MVVS venturi. One of 3.7mm, and one of 3.0mm. I used the Ridder system of breaking the airflow, as can be seen in the pitures I posted. The MVVS venturi which gave me the 0.45hp was unmodified.
This horsepower figure was exactly in line with a power graph I borrowed from an American tester. I forgot magazine and tester name.
for Wynn's, look up www.wynns.eu

PS apology accepted

I remember the article vaguely, I think I know where it is and will try and find it.

Ray

They have a crankshaft?

Ray
Old 02-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Recycled Flyer

Chris,

I don't know where you get your information from but in my world a Tangential venturi,as used in many high performance 2.5cc diesel and glows, has a single fuel jet from a NVA positioned Tangentially relative to the venturi.

A Peripheral jet system has many jet holes positioned radially around the "periphery" of the venturi.

Ray
Doesn't the Fora have its single jet positioned radially around the periphery also?
Old 03-01-2012, 02:59 AM
qazimoto

Doesn't the Fora have its single jet positioned radially around the periphery also?
Any pictures of your 2.5cc diesels Chris?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 AM
greggles47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/quote]
[/quote]

Chris,

I'm a bit confused with your question. How can a single jet be positioned around the periphery?
There may only be one jet, and it can be anywhere around the perimeter, but peripheral suggests more than one jet.

Greg

Old 03-01-2012, 07:24 AM
pe reivers

A single radial jet does not make it peripheral. I am inclined to doubt the effectiveness of such a single radial jet. I have experimented with a side NVA, radial to the venturi. Best power was obtained when the jet ended exactly in the venturi centre (+- 0.1mm!!!) The fuel mist was a nice cone that filled the whole venturi.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Recycled Flyer

Greg,
           perhaps its semantics or me just taking things a bit too literal, but the meaning of 'peripheral' is "Related to, located in, or constituting an outer boundary or periphery."

Can a single point, (such as can be represented by a jet hole) " be related to, located in, or constituting an outer boundary?" I would have thought so but perhaps its simply accepted as not being such in certain circles.

And Ray, yep can post pics of my 2.5cc diesels but do you really want to see a plain bearing PAW that is 35 years old and a reworked Sokol?

I suppose that I do this as it looks like the Hunter Valley championships are going to be called off (I was going to attend and the time can be spent on other things.)

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.