Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Home Brew After-Run Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:55 PM
william hanshaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home Brew After-Run Oil

I've heard recently that some guys make their own after-run oil by mixing some ratio of MarvelMystery Oil and good-quality Valvoline transmission fluid. The expensive after-run oil I purchased some time back looks just like MMO with its red color and odor. Does someone agree with this, and if so, what's the best ratio of MMO and transmission fluid to mix?
Anyone?
Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Diesel Die-hard

Default RE: Home Brew After-Run Oil

Interesting suggestion! I've been using ordinary air tool oil for some years now with very good results. Any other experiences to add?? I've heard that Rizlone works OKtoo, but have never tried it.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM
william hanshaw

Thanks, Diesel Die-Hard! Will you please see my latest posting about my Russian Elfin 149 ABC, and comment?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A number of experienced modellers in NZ swear by ATF-automatic transmission fluid, as an afterrun oil/preservative...........

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 04-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too like ATF because it has high detergent content.

The detergent will hold in suspension any fluids that have settled on the engines internals ready for expulsion upon the next startup.

It will also stop castor from congealing if left too long and (just my opinion here) probably cut down on the amount of castor based varnish that can occur with high percentage castor oil fuels.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:34 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ATF/MARVEL MYSTERY 50/50 MY BREW- MARTIN
Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I use ATF or Air Tool oil both work well.
A 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF works better than Liquid Wench for freeing thing up.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:21 AM
pe reivers

ATF is the best kept secret for after run oil. No additives needed.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:20 AM
maxtenet

ATF and Marvel are both good. After run oil is nowhere near as critical for diesels as for glows, though. The alchohol and nitro attract water. Kerosene and castor are water repellant. I only use it for long term storage on a diesel.

Max
Old 04-11-2012, 04:34 AM
controlliner

ORIGINAL: maxtenet

ATF and Marvel are both good. After run oil is nowhere near as critical for diesels as for glows, though. The alchohol and nitro attract water. Kerosene and castor are water repellant. I only use it for long term storage on a diesel.

Max
Correction, Methyl alcohol is hydroscopic but nitromethane has nothing to do with water. The byproduct of burned nitromethane is nitric acid. Hence using fuel with synthetic oil and nitro will require after run oil. One point when making fuel, nitromethane has 2% methanol added as a stabilizer so it must be calculated in the percentages.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been using Rislone for storage, as GMA recommended.

The lighter 'oils' seem to dry away more quickly. even in a sealed coffee can. Picked up some industrial grade air-tool oil, which is very thick. Haven't given it a good try, yet.

With diesels, three days with ports open for airing out the nitrate residues, of course.

I'll also try ATF, to see how durable it is in our relatively air-exposed use.

For diesels, air tool oil may be a slight hindrance to the first start after storage. I expect they are compounded to deter ignition in an air tool... That should flush out on that first start.

Of the lighter oils, sewing machine oil has some good points. If it handles the relaxed mechanical sensitivities of the ladies, there's something good about it.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Jim Thomerson

I use Rislone, and get some green exhaust for a few seconds after I start the engine. Joe Wagner, in one of his engine colums, said that after run oil would keep a diesel from starting. He was referring to the liquid gold the hobby shop sells in a small bottle. Rislone works fine. Incidentally, a friend uses a small percentage of Marvel Mystery Oil in his diesel fuel mix.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

The detergent will hold in suspension any fluids that have settled on the engines internals ready for expulsion upon the next startup.

It will also stop castor from congealing if left too long and (just my opinion here) probably cut down on the amount of castor based varnish that can occur with high percentage castor oil fuels.
Detergent does not hold fluids in suspension, though some may also do that. By definition detergent removes and keeps solids in suspension, not fluids.

http://www.termwiki.com/EN:detergent_oil
Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

go to wal-mart and get remington spray gun oil. in the green and yellow can. used for firearms. spray it into the carb on two stroke and into the breather tube on four strokes. one good shot of 2 seconds using the little tube and it's protected from rust...........RON
Old 04-11-2012, 01:31 PM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

Thanks AMB. I have been tempted for a long time. Now I'm gonna try it.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

ATF is the best kept secret for after run oil. No additives needed.

Been using it for over twenty years, now. Never a frozen engine or bad bearings. W8YE did say a few years ago that one of the ATFs, maybe one of Fords, was to be avoided for a reason I have forgotten. W8YE??. I use Dextron.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:43 PM
ddd

Marvel Mystery air tool Oil is what you buy when you order those little bottles of red stuff that smells like mint. Its Marvel with a rust inhibitor comes in a a white quart can in any auto parts store.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

Detergent does not hold fluids in suspension, though some may also do that. By definition detergent removes and keeps solids in suspension, not fluids.

http://www.termwiki.com/EN:detergent_oil
The link provided quotes "An oil which keeps particles and contaminants in suspension and has ability to neutralize acids resulting from combustion process. "
And you don't see that 'contaminants' could be fluids?

Detergent by definition is a surfactant - just have a look at what that means.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

I believe you meant "Hygroscopic", not "Hydroscopic" which is nota word...just sayin'....

ORIGINAL: controlliner

ORIGINAL: maxtenet

Max
Correction, Methyl alcohol is hydroscopic but nitromethane has nothing to do with water. The byproduct of burned nitromethane is nitric acid. Hence using fuel with synthetic oil and nitro will require after run oil. One point when making fuel, nitromethane has 2% methanol added as a stabilizer so it must be calculated in the percentages.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:44 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Corrosion X. Online or at a marine supply store.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

crap ,thought this was a beer thread..

rrragman
Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 PM
gene737

Oh crap,

Been saying it wrong for 45 years. You be right Dancer man!!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:23 PM
guille2006

ORIGINAL: william hanshaw

I've heard recently that some guys make their own after-run oil by mixing some ratio of Marvel Mystery Oil and good-quality Valvoline transmission fluid. The expensive after-run oil I purchased some time back looks just like MMO with its red color and odor. Does someone agree with this, and if so, what's the best ratio of MMO and transmission fluid to mix?
Anyone?

Well; 7 to 5 year ago I used to sell an after run oil made of 98% hydraulic transmission oil + 2% molycote oil (basically a bi-sulfide of molybdenum + oil mixture). Result were EXCELENT!!!!!.
I carried on several test on the hydraulic transmission only wit two engines for comparison (supertigre 40); one with after run treatment, nothing for the other. Results were that, after some time (I have no the records here) the after runned one started as good as new while the second needed more handflips... there was a small rpm decrease too (maybe 200 rpm or so). Glow plug was substancially more clean on the first engine while the second one was more black.
Conclusion: Hydraulic oil is as good as any after run oil.
Hope my expereince it helps the the thread.
Cheers
Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 AM
franchi

ATF!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:11 AM
Antares100
My Feedback: (12)

I used Marvel Mystery Oil on an OS FP .40 in the mid 80's. Just getting back into the hobby, found the engine, and it still has compression and turns easily! Guess I'll find out for sure if MMO works when I start it up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.