Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

OPS 30 Maxi and 60 Twin

Old 04-18-2012, 01:07 PM
N99JH
My Feedback: (66)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OPS 30 Maxi and 60 Twin

I have both of these. Has anyone converted one to diesel?
Joshua
Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: OPS 30 Maxi and 60 Twin

I ran both of these as glow. They were never diesel. Neither OPS or Bob Davis offered them as such. The twin was one of the loudest large engines I ever ran. Though they look huge if you put a ST3000 next to it it will be about the same size. The excess finning gave it that large appearance.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:26 PM
N99JH
My Feedback: (66)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dennis
How did you like the twin? Was it powerful? Fuel guzzler? What size prop would you recommend?
Joshua
Old 04-18-2012, 05:59 PM
earlwb

Here is a old thread about them.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...tm.htm#3057090
and
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=961167

It has a roller or needle bearings on the connecting rod too. It seems to do well converted to gasoline as well.
Since it has a Walbro like carb on it, the fuel pump can be most anywhere. It can run lower oil percentages in the fuel with the rod like that.
10% to 12% oil seems to be what they like to use, little to low nitromethane percentages.

They have one at our local hobby shop that I keep eyeing everytime I go into it.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:52 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: N99JH

Dennis
How did you like the twin? Was it powerful? Fuel guzzler? What size prop would you recommend?
Joshua
The twin is just 2 of the single 1.8 with a common crankcase. It used the same 22inch props that any other 3.6 used and it was for a twin a lively performer. I never used my engines on slow,sedate, boring models Very easy to start and set up, fuel economy for a large twin is never it's selling point but it wasn't fatal, it certainly didn't drink like a tartan twin set up for max performance. Figure a 24/32 oz tank and adjust as necessary. I didn't play with too many props and didn't keep records on it. I do know that the single was really a jewel to use but took awhile to run in. They are truly well built engines and can't see anyone wearing one out in a lifetime of normal flying.