Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Engine fun day!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:18 PM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine fun day!

I got a chance to play with a bunch of engines on Sunday, finally!

I ran a few Enya .15s, a Super Tigre .23, an O.S. FP .15, and an O.S. Max .20. (All glow engines)

I also got to try out an e-bay PAW 1.5BR diesel that started right up and ran great. The engine I really wanted to run was a brand new MVVS 2.5 diesel. I flipped and flipped on it, then gave up and used a starter. It would run just long enough for me to run around the stand and reach for the compression bar before dying. It did that a few times, until my starter battery went flat. It sounded good when it did run, but I had to bag it for the day.

A couple of hours later, as I was putting the engines away, I idly flipped the prop on the MVVS, and it back-fired, taking a nice divot out of my finger. I was aware it could do it, but since I was having trouble starting it, didn't think it would bite me. I got a serious hold on it, and flipped the prop, and it fired! Interesting that after that time there would be enough ether "sniff" for it to fire. I'll be more careful in the future!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:22 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Engine fun day!

In a situation like that, the engine stops, then I tweak the compression adjuster a little bit, and try it again. Usually you can eventually get the engine to run long enough so that you can better adjust it then.
Looks like a nice day to play with engines too. It is always fun to have a engine do what it is supposed to do, that it actually run.

I have read about some people before having their engines fire up and run a prime off, from nothing more than WD-40 or something being used to oil them up with.
I don't think it would be fun, it is was a big engine either. I haven't had it happen to me yet.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You wouldn't want that to happen with this one. I'm sure it can remove fleshly appendages. I know for a fact it can remove the corner of an unbuttoned insulated shirt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15449.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1767380  
Old 05-30-2012, 01:46 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes! the name ends with 'gre! Must be one of the big ones.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 PM
earlwb

Yes that one is a handful, a ST G4500.
One would fdefinitely not want to be holding it in their hand and have it fire up on a quick flip of the prop.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:29 PM
greggles47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RDJeff

A couple of hours later, as I was putting the engines away, I idly flipped the prop on the MVVS, and it back-fired, taking a nice divot out of my finger. I was aware it could do it, but since I was having trouble starting it, didn't think it would bite me. I got a serious hold on it, and flipped the prop, and it fired! Interesting that after that time there would be enough ether ''sniff'' for it to fire. I'll be more careful in the future!
I've even had that happen with glow engines.

Moral of the story - treat them like guns - They're always loaded!

G
Old 05-30-2012, 06:15 PM
maxtenet

My advice is to always have some superglue at the ready. I sliced my hand just the other day and didn't feel like waiting at the ER for stitches so I glued it together. Worked wonders! Then I look on the internet and found out that's what it was invented for in the first place. Tested extensively in 'Nam. Some folks are allergic though.

Max
Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: RDJeff

A couple of hours later, as I was putting the engines away, I idly flipped the prop on the MVVS, and it back-fired, taking a nice divot out of my finger. I was aware it could do it, but since I was having trouble starting it, didn't think it would bite me. I got a serious hold on it, and flipped the prop, and it fired! Interesting that after that time there would be enough ether "sniff" for it to fire. I'll be more careful in the future!
Now that story rings a bell.

Down the field once and a very experienced control line flier (who shall forever remain nameless) was presented with a 10cc diesel conversion engine with prop attached.

He casually turned the engine over, as we all do, and it kicked into life in his lap! This resulted in him hurling the thing away into the grass and mumbling suitable expletives about all things diesel.
He then retrieved the engine, sat back down again saying how silly he was only to back up for a repeat performance!

Now that is a guy who has had probably 50 years of RC and control line experience, was just bitten once and still hadn't learnt!!

Needless to say this gave all and sundry endless hours p#ss taking and merriement so don't be too hard on yourself mate.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Why is it than whenever presented with a hitherto unsighted diesel, if it has a prop attached, we can't resist the urge to flick it?

I do it as well.

A couple of years ago My PAW .35 was behaving like a bulldog that just ate a p*ss soaked thistle. It outright refused to hand start all afternoon. I took it home. I unceremoniously pulled it off the aircraft and swore never to mess with it again. Left it in on it's own in the corner - for corner time, like a naughty child.

Came back next day, picked it up, and casually flicked the little so-and-so.

Bad mistake ...

The mongrel thing fired and ran in my hand. I am sure it was only for second, but it scared the living wits out of me. My favourite female who happened to be standing nearby could not control her giggling, and muttered something about stupid men and their toys.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 PM
mike109

G'day idle flickers

I pulled my PAW 1.5cc RC engine and its little trainer off the shelf the other day and found it was becoming rather gummy so I grabbed a can of INOX (Australian made water dispersant and lubricant in a spray can) and squirted some into the engine to free it up. Gave it a few flicks and BREEEP - it fired and ran briefly. Gave it some more squirts and she repeated the trick.

Seems that INOX either contains some ether or something similar.

Mike in Oz

Old 05-31-2012, 02:47 AM
123Cat

Do you think an engine could run on this stuff??
Old 05-31-2012, 03:57 AM
earlwb

I think they tend to use something like Butane or Propane as a propellant in the spray cans. Carbon Dioxide used to be a popular propellant but nowadays everyone has been switching to something else of course.
Plus they may toss in some kerosene like stuff too. So it wouldn't surprise me if some of the substances inside the can has ether like characteristics.
The INOX spray water dispersant and lubricant appears to be quite similar to our WD-40 over here.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:48 AM
greggles47

ORIGINAL: mike109

G'day idle flickers

I pulled my PAW 1.5cc RC engine and its little trainer off the shelf the other day and found it was becoming rather gummy so I grabbed a can of INOX (Australian made water dispersant and lubricant in a spray can) and squirted some into the engine to free it up. Gave it a few flicks and BREEEP - it fired and ran briefly. Gave it some more squirts and she repeated the trick.

Seems that INOX either contains some ether or something similar.

Mike in Oz

Mike,

Here's the link to the Inox MSDS. http://www.inox-mx3.com/downloads%5C...OSOL%20AUS.pdf
Up to 40% Butane & Propane, no specific mention of ether.

G
Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 AM
AMB

Ok group on the Davis conversion head instructions capital letters top of the page CAUTION AS A DIESEL THE IGNITION IS ALWAYS ON ANY TIME PROP S FLIPPED THERE IS A CHANCE OF STARTING. I am sure this is info for the first timer. we all know it but sometimes we get a little causal
Yes I have done it too my Irvine 40 banged over on WD 40 12x6 zinger got a good bruise but no cut, glad it was not an apc plastic razor martin
Old 05-31-2012, 05:50 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

You wouldn't want that to happen with this one. I'm sure it can remove fleshly appendages. I know for a fact it can remove the corner of an unbuttoned insulated shirt.
Well Hobbsy, since you showed a picture of that nice engine, would you let us know what prop size and rpm's it gets? I have an "inquiring" mind. Thanks.

My first engine ever was a 1cc diesel as a kid flying control line. I had a hard time setting it up at first since I was merely a kid and no one around to help. I decided to sell it to another kid, and as I was demonstrating how to start it as part of my sales pitch, it started on the first flip. I was so impressed that I decided not to sell it. The buyer was not happy that I backed out on the deal. So I offered him one of my Cox .049 Babe Bees.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 AM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, from now on, "the ignition is always on" will be the rule!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 AM
AMB

Well guys will give this a retry TT07 davis head. engine looks good well made but poor on performance , results not good Davis took the head out of pr0duction
found one in flea bay and this is the newer version of the 07. Davis thinks the engine has some serious timing or port issues strange for thunder tiger they usually get it right on glow poor on the writeups , if time permits will give it a shot this weekend need a engine for the coyote electric glider conversion , gut feeling will get the Cox 049 Davis head

Name:	Ki18981.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1767566  
Old 05-31-2012, 08:44 AM
earlwb

I had a good day a while back when I made a new connecting rod for a old Aurora K-Mills .75cc engine I had bought way back in 1977. At the time the rod was bad, so it sat in its box all this time. But the new rod fixed the engine. It was fairly tight though and it is taking it a while to get run in to where it runs about like the others do.

Then there was the ugly K&B .65 Sportster engine experience where someone had made a new homemade crankcase for one. I had to do some finishing up work to get it ready to run and it is running OK now. I think the crankshaft bushing is still too tight fitting, but it is running though.

Then there was the great deal I got on a somewhat rare Suevia 1.50 engine. The carb was messed up from previous owners who didn't know how it worked. But I got lucky I was able to fix it.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 AM
pe reivers

That looks like a Webra carb?

Nowadays I impress my grandson by holding  a diesel in my hand, apply a few drops of fuel and start it while holding onto it.
I would not dare doing that with a ST4500 of course[:@]
Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 AM
earlwb

The Suevia engine has a fairly unique carb design that I hadn't seen before. The brass needle holder on the one end of the carb body has a expensive set of helical cut worm gear teeth on it. The steel throttle barrel has a matching set of helical cut worm gear teeth. When you mate the two together the barrel moves in and out as it rotates. There is no slot for a stop screw, without a throttle pushrod on the throttle, the barrel assembly can unscrew itself and fall out. Other than that it is a two needle carb design. I don't know who designed such a carb like that though.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:47 AM
AMB

Earl a good example of German over-engineering , most likely they were after a clean design, certainly no slip in the barrel, but its a carb not a microscope adjustment
martin,
Old 05-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Mr Cox

The Norvels are very similar, except they use a regular thread instead of a gear...
Old 05-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Here was my fun day, I sold the Saito 1.00 that used to haul this plane around, I may change my mind and put the new/old Saito .65 on here and put the Fox .74 converson on a CG Tiger 60. But, this setup looks mighty good.

Name:	Pn35502.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1767619  
Old 05-31-2012, 01:08 PM
AMB

HOBBSY SURE DOES front gear looks pretty substantial , and with that Fox 74 looks lke you have a "tundra special" martin
Old 05-31-2012, 01:17 PM
pe reivers

The Moki (Mark) remote needle control is similar.
ORIGINAL: earlwb

The Suevia engine has a fairly unique carb design that I hadn't seen before. The brass needle holder on the one end of the carb body has a expensive set of helical cut worm gear teeth on it. The steel throttle barrel has a matching set of helical cut worm gear teeth. When you mate the two together the barrel moves in and out as it rotates. There is no slot for a stop screw, without a throttle pushrod on the throttle, the barrel assembly can unscrew itself and fall out. Other than that it is a two needle carb design. I don't know who designed such a carb like that though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.