Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MVVS 09 diesel

MVVS should really think about bringing back the 09 ( yes I have one) Martin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: MVVS 09 diesel

It would be very difficult for the Czech manufacturers to match the Russian and Ukrainian manufacturers in price and performance Martin. As a business decision I can not see it happening.

We have the 'state of the art' PARRA Wasp 1.5 cc AAC now available, for less than what a NIB iron and steel MVVS 1.5 cc brings on *bay. With an R/C carb option for the Wasp, if sir desires.

I love my small MVVS diesel engines, but they are simply eclipsed by Fora and new PARRA offerings. In the 1 cc (.061) size, MP Jet seem to have it covered with its TBR screamer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fiery Point well taken yes I have the MP 061 NIB and one MVVS 09 which has a fair amount of air time martin

forget the para has push/pull head too big improvment

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AMB

Fiery Point well taken yes I have the MP 061 NIB and one MVVS 09 which has a fair amount of air time martin

forget the para has push/pull head too big improvment

I guess I agree with AMB and Fiery, except that my 15 year old CS .09 BB diesel will out turn and out run the Parra .09.

I know that a few modelers in OZ were using the CS in 1/2A( .09cu" ) racing. I guess they were never very

available. Fiery, my CS .09 BB will turn an APC 7 X 3" at 22,300 rpm; using the exact same fuel as used

in the prior thread. The CS is the front intake rear exhaust version.

My MVVS .09 was used to power a 260sq" combat design, way back when a few of us tried 1/2A Combat,

UK style. We flew the models on 42' x .012" lines. The MVVS pulled those models at 70-75 mph.

When I bought my MVVS .09 from Ed Carlson; it only cost about $52.00. I wish I had bought 2 more at that

price. Anyway, I would like to see the MVVS brought back into production at a reasonable price. The nice thing

about the MVVS is that it's very light and has very good power for a plain bearing engine. Also the MVVS engine

is very easily adjusted.

Tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PAW 080 Tony I dropped the Ball too on the MVVS 09 only bought one from Carlson , mine was used as a draft horse lugging my tundra style rework of cub style
    elctric arf conversions, as in previous posts have th tt and os10s Davis heads in simllar craft just fun flyers, had enough sense then to get 3 MVVS 15s so i missed the grief on the early Chinese stuff and their issues, well one, A CS 061 diesel , the bits and pieces of that went to Derek martin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have 2 of the MVVS 09 diesels complete with carb and C/L venturi and nva. Also have the 12 diesel with muffler. These were not sold as MVVS but under the name Modella. Oh and they are essentially new. All were mounted on models but never got flown. One 09 got burped a few times the other 2 wern't. If someone wants to make an offer I'm not flying diesels anymore as i got tired of my vehicles smelling like an operating room.

Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are mine:

George

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr49764.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	1782089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id97517.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	1782090  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the MVVS 1.5cc engine makes for a sweet running, fun to use engine. But unfortunately there are other engines worth using that out perform it nowadays. So I would agree that it makes little sense to make it again, unless there is a market for it where they could sell a bunch of them. One problem is most flying clubs have noise limit rules and we would need to put mufflers on them. Which isn't all that easy, unless you were lucky and got a MVVS matching muffler with your engine.
    Here is my example:

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The OEM correct matching muffler for this engine (and R/C carb if you want one) are currently available from Hobby Club-and have been for some time.

ChrisM
    'ffkiwi'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is the article with the re-work needed for better performance;

Attached Files Attached Files

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Think the muffler for the 09 is the one for the 12 all the did was machine an arc to fit the cylinder and then used a u clamp to secure, have one on mine
    clever they just used the same muffler as the 12, threw in a U clamp simple solution martin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm investigating using the 1.5cc and 2cc mufflers on other diesels-a very quick check shows that the 1.5cc unit would -with some mods to the retaining strap-fit the AM10/15, ED Hornet (a groove would be required in the muffler, Frog 100/150, Yin-Yan 1.47/2.47 and the ED Bee, Fury, Super Fury and Racer could take the 2cc muffler with an adaptor on the mounting side and a blanking plate opposite. As Martin has noted there appears to be no difference between the 1.5 and 2cc mufflers, other than the mounting-and the clearance arc machined in the 1.5cc one. The chamber volume is the same, the duct dimensions the same, and the outlet the same at 6mm ID. I think I would use 2mm nyloc nuts on the 1.5mm retaining wire though, to prevent vibration loosening them. Obviously if adapting to use the 1.5 muffler on a 360 degree ported engine, the retaining wire would have to be replaced by a strap blanking off the remaining exhaust ports not covered by the 1.5 muffler manifold.

ChrisM
    'ffkiwi'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ffkiwi
    The OEM correct matching muffler for this engine (and R/C carb if you want one) are currently available from Hobby Club-and have been for some time.

ChrisM
    'ffkiwi'
    I emailed Hobby Club to see if they have one or not. They aren't advertising it on their website though.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Earl

AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh yes they are!-I rarely post information about sourcing unless it is current-and I normally check before posting here-as I did on this occasion. If you go to www.hobbyclub.com then click on 'engines and parts' in the left side menu, the engine brand/manufacturers screen will come up. Click on 'Modela' and you will get only 3 items showing-the 1.5 muffler, the 1.5 carb, and the 2cc muffler.

ChrisM
    'ffkiwi'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

At the Qld State C/L Champs in Maryborough in June 2012 I saw a KK Phantom powered by an MVVS 1.5 ccm diesel (unsilenced) race against the same model powered by a PAW 1.49DS

The MVVS was significantly faster. Both were owned by the same pilot, Laurie Chetter, who prepared each aircraft to a high standard.

A photograph of the installation appears below. I am wondering if Laurie's MVVS 1.5 ccm diesel had been "breathed on" ? I never thought to ask.

** EDIT **

I believe the engine is an MVVS 2 ccm diesel, note the exhaust manifold. That would explain it's performance. A PAW 1.49 ccm powers it's stablemate.

Name:	Zx71666.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	1782392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf12107.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	1782393  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Talking of CS 09 and Phantom Racing reminded me that I had one of these "pocket Rossi's" down the shed. We used it years ago (circa 1996?).

It was in a Phantom racer till they changed the local rules.

This CS has an interesting metallurgy.

The cold starting is abdominal. Maybe forty or so flicks till the first sudden burst which was always without any of the normal diesel hints that a run is imminent.

But then once it's very hot the starts are instant. It turned out that the liner (ABC combination) is made of a Beryllium/Copper Bronze (Be/Cu) alloy rather that the more common Brass (Cu/Zn).

Pics are below, and it has a tiny 2mm diameter hole in the venturi.

Can I caution against comparing diesel performance without considering the venturi sizes? Many small diesels such as CS and Parra are sized down for economy and up for speed.

Sometimes comparisons can be like the old Apples and Oranges story.

I still have the Phantom down the shed, though these days it has a Schnurle port Oliver Tiger Cub in it, which is a just a bit slower but far more predictable to start.

Name:	Pn37833.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	1782394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj26300.jpg 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	1782395  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ffkiwi

Oh yes they are!-I rarely post information about sourcing unless it is current-and I normally check before posting here-as I did on this occasion. If you go to www.hobbyclub.com then click on 'engines and parts' in the left side menu, the engine brand/manufacturers screen will come up. Click on 'Modela' and you will get only 3 items showing-the 1.5 muffler, the 1.5 carb, and the 2cc muffler.

ChrisM
    'ffkiwi'
    So I need to cut a curve into the muffler to fit the MVVS 09 engine? and use a metal clamp of some sort for the screw mounts?
    I was looking under the MVVS category and not the Modella category there.
    Thanks

AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Gaz, Your photos show the same CS 09BB diesel that I have.

I guess mine is not fit as tight as yours; mine was very easy to

start. I had no problem with restarts too.

Tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Earl use a piece of 2-56 threaded rod bend a U and done then nuts on the muffler on the end of rod and lock or star washers martin
    4-40 rod might work also??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: earlwb

So I need to cut a curve into the muffler to fit the MVVS 09 engine? and use a metal clamp of some sort for the screw mounts?
    I was looking under the MVVS category and not the Modella category there.
    Thanks

No no no-the only skill required is the ability to open a packet, undo two small nuts, fit the muffler to the engine and tighten up the same two small nuts! The 1.5 muffler is made for and fits the MVVS-Modela 1.5cc diesel, the 2cc one fits the 2cc plain bearing diesel and glow. As previously noted-they are the same item, the 1.5cc one has a curve machined in it to match the engines exhaust port, and a wire hoop fixing.The pictures below should make it crystal clear. First the 3 items currently listed on the Hobby Club website (and these three examples were purchased in the last 6 months), and second the 1.5cc (left) and 2cc (right) mufflers out of their packets. Can we get one thing straight-as a few people are confused. MODELA don't make engines, MVVS do. MODELA is/was a marketing organisation (perhaps for export only)-and for reasons best known to the Czechs, from some time in the 90's (at a guess) took over the marketing of the two smallest MVVS engines-the 1.5 diesel, and the 2cc 'Junior'-in diesel and glow versions. These 2 engines (or 3 if you count the glow) can be found listed as 'MVVS' or 'Modela'-they are the SAME engines.........I have seen the 1.5D in both the grey MVVS box and the more colourful Modela blue and yellow. [for the record there IS another MVVS 2cc-a twin BB schneurle ported one-sold solely under the MVVS banner]
    PE Reivers, as a current MVVS dealer may be able to give a bit more detail. To the best of my knowledge (and I could well be wrong in this instance) Modela does not seem to be currently active as a business concern.

ChrisM
    'ffkiwi'

Name:	Hf98345.jpg 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	1782536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni24291.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	1782537  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To emphasise the points immediately above-here are some photos both of all three engines with the muffler fitted, and the 1.5 diesel box. This particular engine was purchased in Jan 1997-the receipt is still in the box. Note that the box sleeve has both MVVS and Modela on it, the english instruction sheet has MVVS and Modela, the Czech one only mentions Modela.
    Now one possible explanation is that MVVS was originally a state run organisation-which was typical of Eastern bloc countries-the Hungarians had Moki, and there are others-the USSR had DOSAAF. These were originally state sponsored 'research' organisations with good facilities set up to develop the technical side of modelling-and develop and produce high performing engines for their respective countries' international representative teams to use at World and European Championships. With the domino fall of communism in the late eighties and early nineties in these countries, state sponsorship would have been withdrawn and the entities left to sink or swim in the new found capitalist reality. MVVS would have been no exception-so perhaps Modela was set up as a commercial trading organisation to market and sell MVVS engines whilst MVVS was finding its feet as a privately owned operation. Subsequently, as the company matured, the semi-independent Modela organisation became redundant or simply was allowed to wither away. There is no doubt that MVVS is a healthy thriving company today with good markets in the US and Europe through various agents. Equally, it is possible/likely that Hobby Club has made personal arrangements with someone in the Czech republic who has access to old unsold Modela stock, and is selling this off. I note that they are not currently selling either the 1.5 diesel or the 2cc engine itself-though they did offer the 2cc until a couple of years back. This would tend to support my 'selling off end of line items' theory...........

ChrisM
    'ffkiwi'

Name:	Lj23931.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	1782587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pl32687.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	1782588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bh94770.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	1782589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ga76436.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	1782590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yj66194.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	1782591  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ne55381.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	1782592  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: paw080

Hi Gaz, Your photos show the same CS 09BB diesel that I have.

I guess mine is not fit as tight as yours; mine was very easy to

start. I had no problem with restarts like yours.

Tony
    Restarts are fine, it's the initial start that's the problem. Considered opinion suggests that the piston and the liner have mismatched expansion and contraction rates due to the metallurgy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, so the picture at Hobby Club is in error then.
    Thanks a lot I appreciate it.
    Earl
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Ok, so the picture at Hobby Club is in error then.
    Thanks a lot I appreciate it.
    Earl

Yes-it looks like they used the same picture for each product description-but they do that in other areas of the site as well.

ffkiwi

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have bought a few MVVS parts from Hobby Club
    and ordered a muffler and a carburetor for the 1.5.
    On both occasions I received parts for the "Junior"
    2 cc. After phone calls I never got a satisfactory
    response or an offer of replacement.
    Ralph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast