Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Couple of newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM
TampaRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of newbie questions

I've been aware of diesels when I first got into the hobby 30 some years ago. I'm looking at the Cox 049 diesel head from Cox international as well the hardened crank that they sell. Also looking at the head from Mecoa for the OS .40.

Would you use the same fuel blend for both, or does the .049 need something different?

Whats the difference between diesel at the gas station, and the diesel one would use to make model fuel?

Lastly, are there any tutorials on mixing your own fuel...especially in laymans terms? Little confused about percentage vs. by volume vs. by weight
Old 09-17-2012, 03:39 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Couple of newbie questions

Tampa RC if just getting into it your best bet is Davis 1/2A for the Cox and the ABC fuel for the 40 Diesels (model) run a mixture of ether, kerosene and just like their glow brothers Castor oil or castor/syn oil blend, being compression ignition the ether ignites under heat of compression, the full size diesels of course use #2 diesel fuel using high pressure injectors and the compression heat fires it off. you should check the Davis Diesel site explains quite a bit.. Davis has been making
conversion heads glow to diesel for Coxs and up in size for many quallity glow engines since 1975 or before
There is some good stuff too on the Classic diesels such as PAW on many sites a quick search on google will pull it up and the "gang "here offers a lot of good tips
Take the time and review the posts here on the diesel site have fun martin
Old 09-17-2012, 04:07 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a site that has LOTS of info on diesels:

http://www3.telus.net/dieselcombat/diesel_care.htm

George
Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 PM
maxtenet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's all you need to know.

http://carlsonengineimports.net/FAQ.html
Old 09-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Recycled Flyer

Something not mentioned on either of those two wonderful sites is the order in which one combines the ingredients.

I was instructed to add the castor oil firstly then the ether, shake to taste and then add the kero - it seems to combine easier and more thoroughly this way.

The reason being that castor being a plant derived oil will not dissolve well in the mineral based kerosene and needs the agent of ether between the two.
(And the ether washes the castor nicely off the side walls of my large glass measuring tube!)

Cheers.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 AM
gcb

That's shaken, not stirred!

Bond...James Bond..

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've heard the same. I THINK it was in Eric Clutton's "Dr. Diesel's Diary"

George
Old 09-19-2012, 04:53 PM
AMB

Tampa RC model diesel fuel most be stored in metal cans NOT PLASTIC such as glow fuel comes in, yes you can use glass but it can break
You may already have glow engines that a diesel head made by Davis may fit , so you need is the head that will save you some bucks just swap heads
done, also strongly suggest you use pre-made Davis fuels no mixing and not running around picking up the stuff to make it
do not think saving that dollar or two ( If you do) worth the work. The advantage of a conversion is the contra is in the head not the
cylinder so no tight contras to deal with, get up and running with a conversion to get the feel, then you can go to the classic type if you like
this is the KISS principle of getting into diesel martin

Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 AM
gcb

ORIGINAL: TampaRC
I've been aware of diesels when I first got into the hobby 30 some years ago. I'm looking at the Cox 049 diesel head from Cox international as well the hardened crank that they sell. Also looking at the head from Mecoa for the OS .40.
The Cox diesel head is or is similar to the DDD head. It uses teflon disks to seal the contra piston. these discs will melt if you go too high on compression which rapidly raises temperature. This protects your engine. Downside is that as a diesel beginner, you may go through several disks. Some people do not like this protection and prefer the MECOA head, which does not use teflon disks. The only conversion head that I have is a DDD one on a Tee Dee .049. Many enjoy conversions but I like my purpose-built diesel engines.

Would you use the same fuel blend for both, or does the .049 need something different?
As has already been mentioned, 1/2A fuel has a higher oil (and possibly ether) content than is needed for larger engines.

Whats the difference between diesel at the gas station, and the diesel one would use to make model fuel?
Model diesel fuel contains ether, kerosene, caster oil, and usually amyl nitrate, nitrite or another improver. Different engine manufacturers recommend various percentages.

Lastly, are there any tutorials on mixing your own fuel...especially in laymans terms? Little confused about percentage vs. by volume vs. by weight
Most mixes are quoted in percentage by volume. I would suggest you use ready mixed. Learning diesel operation by yourself is hard enough without the possibility of bad fuel mixed by you.

I know some of this has already been suggested but perhaps if you hear it twice...

Good luck whichever way you go.

George
Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 AM
AMB

Most of my "conversions" use Davis heads from 049 thru 90 I really think the term "conversion is a misnomer, once it wears a diesel head it is a diesel
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck it is a duck
the Cox international cox head is a blatant copy of Davis , well guess its a form of flattery
also on the Davis ones you cannot lower the contra past a set point (projecting out of the head a good safety martin
as pointed out in the USA you can get the premade fuel from Davis also tower hobby in its latest list the ABC mix
Old 09-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Jim Thomerson

I'd strongly advise getting commercial fuel from Davis Diesel, or Eric Clutton AKA Dr, Diesel. I've run different fuels in a variety of different engines, from Arne Hende ,5cc Drone to Tower 40 conversion and did not see that much difference, if any, among the different commercial blends.