Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Care & Feeding a DC Dart

Reply
Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 PM
  #26
Recycled Flyer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SydneyNew South wales, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,346
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart


Quote:
ORIGINAL: qazimoto


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Steve_P.

The D-Cstarting instructions are attached.

No they're not!

They probably are, but he didn't say WHAT they are attached to!

Recycled  Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:49 PM
  #27
fiery
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Hervey Bay Queensland, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 2,905
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

Gents

Steve P. has kindly emailed me asking if I want a copy of the short DC generic instructions.

I have replied, stating that would be appreciated.

Given the interest I will scan and post a copy of them on this thread.

I have seen a full copy posted somewhere else on the net, I just can't recall where though.

Regards
fiery is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 PM
  #28
qazimoto
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Infront NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,246
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart


Quote:
ORIGINAL: fiery

Gents

Steve P. has kindly emailed me asking if I want a copy of the short DC generic instructions.

I have replied, stating that would be appreciated.

Given the interest I will scan and post a copy of them on this thread.

I have seen a full copy posted somewhere else on the net, I just can't recall where though.

Regards

Probably on the Model Engine News site!

Ray
qazimoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:10 AM
  #29
greggles47
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 513
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

Yes those instructions would be interesting to see.

I kind of pride myself on not having an engine beat me and I think I'm winning this one.

Today I mixed up a fresh batch of fuel. 25%C, 35%E & 40%K no IPN. Put a 7X4 prop on and started flicking away when one of Sydney's nice Spring thunderstorms showed up. Got a couple of little burps that had me thinking it was about to burst into song. Then discretion got the better of valour and put the lot away until there was no more lightening trying to curl my hair.

It definitely seemed a lot keener, so success is near.

Thanks for all the input.

Greg
greggles47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:17 PM
  #30
Recycled Flyer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SydneyNew South wales, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,346
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

Greg, if it is still hard to get going try the tip from Steve Rothwell - preheat the whole thing with a heat gun or hair dryer.

It just may help mate.
Recycled  Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 PM
  #31
fiery
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Hervey Bay Queensland, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 2,905
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

Generic DC starting instructions for model diesel engines, as kindly provided by Steve P.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42204.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1818668  
fiery is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:58 PM
  #32
qazimoto
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Infront NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,246
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

Greg, if it is still hard to get going try the tip from Steve Rothwell - preheat the whole thing with a heat gun or hair dryer.

It just may help mate.

I can't really see how Chris. If the fits are marginal it will make starting even harder.

You usually heat the upper cylinder with a heat gun or cup of boiling water if the P/L fit is so tight that turning over is difficult.

Ray
qazimoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:55 PM
  #33
Recycled Flyer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SydneyNew South wales, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,346
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart


Quote:
ORIGINAL: qazimoto


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

Greg, if it is still hard to get going try the tip from Steve Rothwell - preheat the whole thing with a heat gun or hair dryer.

It just may help mate.

I can't really see how Chris. If the fits are marginal it will make starting even harder.

You usually heat the upper cylinder with a heat gun or cup of boiling water if the P/L fit is so tight that turning over is difficult.

Ray
If the whole engine (and I did say "preheat the whole thing" not just the upper cylinder) is brought up to a mild even heat I can see it making a difference over a stone cold one Ray.

Anyway what do you have to lose by trying this?

Recycled  Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:48 PM
  #34
AMB
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: winter park, FL
Posts: 6,748
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

IS the engine squeeky tight tight on flipping with a few drops of oil in it in full 360 degrees of rotation:: martin
AMB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:54 PM
  #35
qazimoto
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Infront NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,246
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer


Quote:
ORIGINAL: qazimoto


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

Greg, if it is still hard to get going try the tip from Steve Rothwell - preheat the whole thing with a heat gun or hair dryer.

It just may help mate.

I can't really see how Chris. If the fits are marginal it will make starting even harder.

You usually heat the upper cylinder with a heat gun or cup of boiling water if the P/L fit is so tight that turning over is difficult.

Ray
If the whole engine (and I did say ''preheat the whole thing'' not just the upper cylinder) is brought up to a mild even heat I can see it making a difference over a stone cold one Ray.


Please explain!

qazimoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:04 PM
  #36
AMB
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: winter park, FL
Posts: 6,748
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

IS the engine squeeky tight tight on flipping with a few drops of oil in it in full 360 degrees of rotation:? If it is back the compression all the way off put a few drops of oil in it
NO FUEL and spin with a small electric motor I have used a sullivan 1/2A starter do this in short bursts maybe 15 seconds a few times then it should feel better on flipping or spring starter and light off martin
AMB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 PM
  #37
Recycled Flyer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SydneyNew South wales, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,346
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart


Quote:
ORIGINAL: qazimoto


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer


Quote:
ORIGINAL: qazimoto


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

Greg, if it is still hard to get going try the tip from Steve Rothwell - preheat the whole thing with a heat gun or hair dryer.

It just may help mate.

I can't really see how Chris. If the fits are marginal it will make starting even harder.

You usually heat the upper cylinder with a heat gun or cup of boiling water if the P/L fit is so tight that turning over is difficult.

Ray
If the whole engine (and I did say ''preheat the whole thing'' not just the upper cylinder) is brought up to a mild even heat I can see it making a difference over a stone cold one Ray.


Please explain!

Beyond stating that I took a very old leaky diesel to Geoff Potters place a few weeks ago that was hit with a heat gun and the proceeded to start 2nd flick (and this was after it was agreed on first inspection that it would run at all), no.

It either works or it don't - I really don't care which.

Recycled  Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 PM
  #38
qazimoto
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Infront NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,246
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart


Quote:
ORIGINAL: AMB

IS the engine squeeky tight tight on flipping with a few drops of oil in it in full 360 degrees of rotation:? If it is back the compression all the way off put a few drops of oil in it
NO FUEL and spin with a small electric motor I have used a sullivan 1/2A starter do this in short bursts maybe 15 seconds a few times then it should feel better on flipping or spring starter and light off martin

Martin,

the notion of "squeaky tight" and the name "DC Dart" have probably never been used before in the same sentence.

Ray
qazimoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM
  #39
qazimoto
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Infront NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,246
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

Quote:
Beyond stating that I took a very old leaky diesel to Geoff Potters place a few weeks ago that was hit with a heat gun and the proceeded to start 2nd flick (and this was after it was agreed on first inspection that it would run at all), no.

It either works or it don't - I really don't care which.
Did Mt Potter mutter some magical incantation before he hit the diesel?

qazimoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 PM
  #40
AMB
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: winter park, FL
Posts: 6,748
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

OK all my suggestion was based on a very tight p/l fit if that is not the case , waste of time I did this a few years back on a tight TT10 it would fire bout did not have the strength
to run against the iniital tightness just a few pops, after the treatment no issues martin
AMB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 PM
  #41
AMB
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: winter park, FL
Posts: 6,748
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

Ray having never seen a dart or owned one no knowledge of their fit martin
AMB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:35 PM
  #42
Recycled Flyer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SydneyNew South wales, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,346
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart


Quote:
ORIGINAL: qazimoto

Did Mt Potter mutter some magical incantation before he hit the diesel?

Sorry Ray, you caught me in a bad mood today.


"Mt Potter" indeed! It always seems that you have to climb the mount in order to seek knowlegde.
And "magical incantation?" No no no, there was no time for that in between regales of past team race glories, triumphs abroad, battles with Norse Gods and .......... where was I? Oh yes, black magic.

Just what are we accussing Geoff of now? Anything beyond having a positive attitude would have to be a stretch!
Recycled  Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 PM
  #43
greggles47
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 513
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

Well I'm afraid even Harry Potter wouldn't be able to save this one. Whether he was to incant or wave his wand it would make no difference.

It looks like I've actually been flogging a dead horse (maybe a dead dart!). The expression WOFTAM seems appropriate at this time.

Careful examination revealed a pair of hairline cracks, in exactly the place where hairline cracks are least needed. I'll ask the owner if he wants to manufacture a new piston for it, but otherwise I'm totally over it.

Thanks for all who offered advice and encouragement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20401.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1818729   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42784.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1818730  
greggles47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 PM
  #44
Warren B
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 64
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

If it looks like this Dart has breathed it's last, I would like to put in a bid for it's crankshaft.

Warren B is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:33 PM
  #45
ffkiwi
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Upper HuttWellington, NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 1,498
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

Looking at the external dings and damage clearly visible in your closeups greggles, I think you (or the vendor) have rather stretched the definition of 'new-ish' in respect of this Dart.............

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:42 AM
  #46
greggles47
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 513
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Warren B

If it looks like this Dart has breathed it's last, I would like to put in a bid for it's crankshaft.

The owner is capable of making a new piston for it, so I think the cs is going to be used.

I'll let you know if there is any change.

Chris,

I've got to say that the macro function on my camera shows more than I saw previously. My new-ish estimation came from a view that the cooling muff wasn't butchered to b@ggery and the piston/cylinder felt good to flick over.

Greg
greggles47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:26 AM
  #47
fiery
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Hervey Bay Queensland, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 2,905
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

I'm glad the owner wishes to save it. Allbon/DC Darts are a true classic.

David Owen could have some serviceable pistons. Worth an enquiry perhaps.
fiery is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:32 AM
  #48
AMB
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: winter park, FL
Posts: 6,748
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

Lets hope a replacement piston can be gotten , It may have been a bad piece of cast iron to begin with these are not magnafluxed, if that engine had started and the piston failed it would have been total destruction martin
AMB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:02 PM
  #49
qazimoto
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Infront NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,246
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

Possibly someone in the past has tried to reclaim the p/l fit by over-enthusiastic cherry-bombing or tapped the piston with a hammer just a bit too hard.

[]
qazimoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 PM
  #50
Steve_P.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 15
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Care & Feeding a DC Dart

I know I uploaded it with my post but it didn't attach. The site admin is aware of it. The instructions are (1) very generic, and (2) very short. If you want a copy, email me at ama40916@comcast.net Steve_P.
Steve_P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:33 AM.