Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

back to c/l diesel

Reply
Old 12-07-2012, 08:02 AM
  #26
AMB
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: winter park, FL
Posts: 6,748
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: back to c/l diesel

GREGGLES the pix are great this will really help when I get working on mine as a stock build it leaves a little to be desired . great mods and really needed martin
AMB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 AM
  #27
PWF63
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boambee East New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 120
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: back to c/l diesel

What flying weight did it come in at Ray?

For the record Ray and Greg
My Swee Pea turned out to be a heap of excrement. Not only was it too heavy at 600gms flying weight.
I ended up flying it with my Blue Head MVVS making the model nose heavy after ballancing just right with the CS Olly.
The day was too windy and model slammed into the deck after 6 laps.
I suspect the V tail wasn't lined up correctly either.
Back to the drawing board. No, I'm not normal, still going to do things different.
Looking at building one of the current IF1 Wilson wing Cassutts.

Fredo
PWF63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 PM
  #28
qazimoto
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Central Coast NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,274
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: back to c/l diesel

Quote:
ORIGINAL: PWF63

What flying weight did it come in at Ray?

For the record Ray and Greg
My Swee Pea turned out to be a heap of excrement. Not only was it too heavy at 600gms flying weight.
I ended up flying it with my Blue Head MVVS making the model nose heavy after ballancing just right with the CS Olly.
The day was too windy and model slammed into the deck after 6 laps.
I suspect the V tail wasn't lined up correctly either.
Back to the drawing board. No, I'm not normal, still going to do things different.
Looking at building one of the current IF1 Wilson wing Cassutts.

Fredo
I never weigh 'em Fred, it usually depresses me when I do.

I built a Sweet-pea as well also with disappointing results. It was very unstable in the Kuringai wind, perhaps a consequence of the Vee type tail as well..

The Shoestring and the Ohm Special are two reliable model designs. There's a few Ohms with the MVVS in the Mannering Point club that fly well. I can supply scans if you want.



Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13639.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1827595  
qazimoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 PM
  #29
AMB
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: winter park, FL
Posts: 6,748
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: back to c/l diesel

Gazimoto first V tail I am aware of, the elevator only using half of it to me seems odd, in up mode seems looks it would have an aileron effect and cause the the plane to slacken the lines, just my theory, maybe no adverse effect martin

airflow direction not the same (equal) on both sides
AMB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:34 PM
  #30
qazimoto
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Central Coast NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,274
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: back to c/l diesel


Quote:
ORIGINAL: AMB

Gazimoto first V tail I am aware of, the elevator only using half of it to me seems odd, in up mode seems looks it would have an aileron effect and cause the the plane to slacken the lines, just my theory, maybe no adverse effect martin

airflow direction not the same (equal) on both sides
Martin,

the half elevator idea is quite common with control line racers, but they're usually on the "outside" of the model.

This Vee-tail has a dihedral angle of just 20 degrees, much less than with an r/c model so it should be ok. Takeoffs had good line tension it just couldn't cope with the gusty wind at our favorite flying site.

It's located on a ridge overlooking the Pacific Ocean and surrounded by tall trees, so it's more exposed than normal.

Ray
qazimoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:51 AM
  #31
PWF63
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boambee East New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 120
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: back to c/l diesel

Here's Swee Pea with CS Oliver still on the bench. No need to see after photos....lol
We'll just remember this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36214.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1827679  
PWF63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:20 AM
  #32
greggles47
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 519
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: back to c/l diesel


Quote:
ORIGINAL: PWF63

>Looking at building one of the current IF1 Wilson wing Cassutts.

Fredo
Fred,

My first GY model was a Cassutt (Plum Crazy). Nother nice flier.

Can you please explain IF1? I haven't heard that.

Greg
greggles47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 AM
  #33
PWF63
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boambee East New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 120
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: back to c/l diesel



Quote:
ORIGINAL: greggles47


Quote:
ORIGINAL: PWF63

>Looking at building one of the current IF1 Wilson wing Cassutts.
Fredo
Fred,

My first GY model was a Cassutt (Plum Crazy). Nother nice flier.

Can you please explain IF1? I haven't heard that.

Greg

International Formula One

Sorry mate, I've had my head stuck in the IF1 and Cassutt owners forums as well as the Reno web sites for too long.
Trying to research the modern modified Cassutts that have raced at Reno the last 10 years.
Some of the jargon has stuck.

Fred
PWF63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:01 PM.