Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

fuel mix kero/#2 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:30 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fuel mix kero/#2 diesel

Just a rhetorical question since most of our diesel fuel is in the mid 30% range of kero would there be any advantage in making the kerosene or Jet A a mixture say 85% kero 15% # 2 diesel the rest of the formula stays the same, ether, castor and maybe IPN, maybe no good dirty burn more carbon martin

since I use the Davis blends only time I mix is when out
Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 PM
pe reivers

Default RE: fuel mix kero/#2 diesel

I have tested automotive diesel fuel, because of it's high cetane number. Indeed burning was with a lot more carbon formation, and less engine rpm.
Lubrication % could be reduced due to the quite high oiliness of diesel fuel.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:50 PM
AMB

Pe THX for the reply I am referring to a mixture of both as I said maybe the Kero part to contain 10-15% 0f # 2. I was not impressed with straight #2 hard to start, poor idle
and lots of carbon buildup martin
Old 12-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Mr Cox

What effect are you after, cheaper fuel?
The fuel cost is very low with small engines anyway, I spend much more on the gas going to and from the field...
Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 PM
AMB

MR COX cost not the issue thought maybe a few BTUs added from the #2 would improve the fuel, thinking about this if this were the case the fuel makers Davis here Model techiques

UK would have done it and would have been in the fuel formulas by the engine manufacturers , just my theory looks like not correct conclusion martin
"guilding the lily"

In other words the Kero part of the formula would have been a mixture of 85% kero 15% #2 instead of straight kero
Old 12-27-2012, 03:42 AM
PWF63

ORIGINAL: AMB

Pe THX for the reply I am referring to a mixture of both as I said maybe the Kero part to contain 10-15% 0f # 2. I was not impressed with straight #2 hard to start, poor idle
and lots of carbon buildup martin
A lot of kerosines differ in quality and performance in our Diesel engines. Carbon buildup greatly increases with over compresion'
I've found that Jet A1 works well in all diesel engines. One way to help with reducing carbon buildup is to use Lubrizol at the ratio of .4%.
Easiest way to do this is to mix 4ml of Lubrizol with litre of Kero or Jet A1, then use kero as normal to mix your fuel.
I use this mix wether I'm mixing 30/30/30 or a mix using 45-50% kero. Work well.
The only time I don't use Lubrizol is if I'm mixing a CL racing brew with Klotz BeNol oil that already has a detergent in it.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....lol Others my have differing opinions.

Cheers

Fredo