Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

McCoy .049 Diesel Reproduction

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 03:55 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McCoy .049 Diesel Reproduction

Has anyone any experience of this engine? It is offered by PAL Model Products.

www.palmodelproducts.com/engines.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61312.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1845727  
Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: McCoy .049 Diesel Reproduction

FIERY they are in White Plains New York USA they show 2 engines the MCoy is one and an other and a few kits, wonder who makes them and where??? martin

NOTE McCoy had very mixed reputation some good others were junk A Cox 049 conversion s still an A+
Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a lot of replicas-but not this one! [I have its Infant 020 stablemate though] I believe this McCoy replica uses a conventional (ie lapped or ground to finish) contra rather than the original McCoy (and OK!) US system of a looser fitting contra with an O-ring. That being said, the PAL replicas-unlike most other modern replicas-don't seem to have made much of an impact, despite being around for about a decade. Perhaps with PAWs, MP Jets and Cox/Norvel diesel conversions people are spoilt for choice in this size range? I believe the original McCoy 049 diesels had a reputation for breaking shafts......?

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM
[email protected]

I purchased one of these replicas a couple years back. Easy to start and adjust. David Owen told me it was a good replica. That was good enough for me. I wanted one of the originals in the 1950's but never got one. Jack

Name:	Qo39227.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1845773  
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM
ffkiwi

I think ever since a bad experience with the Webra Piccolo at age 14 I've been prejudiced against radial mount red head .8cc diesels...........;-)

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOOKS AND SOUNDS LIKE A WINNER JACK but having just getting my 2 MPjet 061s diesels l spent out on buying more little ones martin
Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Dan Vincent

I don't have the replica but I do have three or four original McCoy .049 diesels.

When they came out in the early fifties they were a sensation and soon owned the Pan American PAA weight-lifting class.

Every now and then someone would break a crankshaft but that was because they cranked on too much compression.

I had several of the little .049 diesels and never experienced a broken crank. I also ran them with 1" more pitch or diameter prop than the comparable glo engines from that period.

I liked the radial mount McCoy diesel because the model nose was much lighter than adding beam mounts.
There were several other 2-screw radial mount 1/2A Glo engines from that era were the Wasp, Atwood, Royal Spitfire, Holland Hornet and McCoy Baby Mac, OK Cub .049X and .039.

Name:	Gd93861.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1845858  
Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

McCoy .049 diesel is It is a P.A.L. replica of the McCoy .049 Dura Glow model diesel engine from Bob Langelius. Bob gets them made by someone in Russia. The engines work fairly well.

Here is my replica example as compared to a original version. I haven;t run my example, but some others are running and using them though.

Name:	Ay74217.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	1845950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76046.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	1845951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50616.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	1845952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22269.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	1845953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60922.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	1845954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Si70577.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1845955  
Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 PM
gossie

Little Mc. is much like the original Webra Piccolo. Have had mine since the mid '50s in several FF models. It goes well.

Name:	Om33841.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1846273  
Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Dan Vincent

That little Webra is a nice engine. I've seen them with red, blue and natural aluminum muffs. Don't know if there are more colors.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 PM
gossie

ORIGINAL: Dan Vincent

That little Webra is a nice engine. I've seen them with red, blue and natural aluminum muffs. Don't know if there are more colors.

As far as I know the first model 1954 Piccolo as mine is only came out in red......I do have a brand new red head for this one but don't wish to unscrew the faded head here in fear of unscrewing the liner as well and upsetting it as it's been for getting on to 60 years.
Later ones with beam mounts may have had other colours????????

The 1.5cc original radial mount Rekord from 1952 had a blue head, then the 1954 radial and beam mount Rekord that I've had four of but now only two, had a red read as did the beam mount model from 1959??? In the '60s they had aluminium heads with no colour.......all beam mounts.
FWIW I've never seen in the flesh a blue head Rekord, but I did chase one on eBay in the USA about 6 months ago.........I did put in a really crazy bid on it that I thought would kill it as such, but at the last couple of seconds from memory it hit close to $300.......very very rare.

Sorry if I've taken this thread off topic.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 PM
ffkiwi

The second model (which was beam mount) was likewise red, whilst the last model-beam mount, bug starter added,-had a plain un-colored head as did the larger Record and Winner of the mid 60's on. My first experience with a Piccolo was with one of the 3rd models-and an exercise in frustration. 30 years later I acquired one of the same model as gossie-still just as bad as a 44 year old as I remembered as a 14-year old. Pigs of things!

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 AM
gossie

ORIGINAL: ffkiwi

The second model (which was beam mount) was likewise red, whilst the last model-beam mount, bug starter added,-had a plain un-colored head as did the larger Record and Winner of the mid 60's on. My first experience with a Piccolo was with one of the 3rd models-and an exercise in frustration. 30 years later I acquired one of the same model as gossie-still just as bad as a 44 year old as I remembered as a 14-year old. Pigs of things!

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
When I get the chance I guess I need to take a pic of mine running. 6X4 prop. gives plenty of noise but I tend to use a 7X4.

I have heard exactly your comments on Piccolo's and Rekord's many times in the past Chris, but I can honestly say all mine start up and run well.
Both types for me run okay on 1-1-1 fuel mix, but without doubt the best fuel mix for the Rekord is what the factory specifi........40% ether, 30% kero, 30% castor, then toss in a couple of percent of Amyl, DII or whatever. 7X4 prop. they really howl, but I just like a Taipan 8X4 trimmed a little, thinned and well balanced.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 AM
ffkiwi

My experience and discussions with others would suggest that my experiences with Piccolos are typical-(even David Owen agrees) and you're the lucky one gossie. That being said-I have no beef at all with the Record and Winner diesels-I have several of each and all start and handle well-including the redhead radial-beam model Record that was supposed to be a bit 'snappy'......

ChrisM
Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 AM
DerFly

I also had a blue head Webra record, which originally belonged to my Dad. He must have been 17 or so when he got it.
I used it as a young teenager in the early 80's on c/l planes and tethered airboats until the shaft broke. It got a new lease on life with an OS Pet crankshaft (drop in fit) and used some more until again, the replacement shaft broke. I kept the parts but they disappeared some time after I moved overseas in the 90's.

I saw one go on German E-pay for DM495,- so that must have been shortly before Euro introduction in '98. Exchange rate to AUD at the time was 1:1, so very expensive! Current USD/AUD e rate is about 1.04:1, therefore about US$ 500, but all relative of course.

DF
Old 12-06-2013, 07:48 PM
william hanshaw

Hello Fellas,

I haven't been active on this thread for a while....got sidetracked with intestinal problems and didn't feel much like hobbying. However I have been monitoring along, and have had some excellent and generous assistance from friends I've made here.

I just acquired a McCoy Duraglo .049 and am cleaning it up to test run. I remember some time ago obtaining an exploded view sheet of the Duraglo. Does anyone have such an image they can post so I can study it? And, I believe I've lost my previous fuel formula good for the McCoy's and OK's, that one of you helped me with. I sure would appreciate getting that info again. And Happiest of Holidays to you all.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Bill Adair
My Feedback: (1)

Bill,

Wrote a rather lengthy reply, but the send button blew it away.

Anyway, good to see you back.

Fuel mix is equal parts of Castor oil, Ether, and Kerosene known as Olde English mix. You can add 2 percent Amsoil DII if it helps starting, but my original 1950 era .049 didn't need it. Best prop is a 6X4 or larger, as you don't want to over rev the early models as they were said to have a weak crank. I've run three of them, with no problems at all on that mild fuel mix, but I really think most of the failed cranks were caused by over revs, and/or over compression.

Standard size #10 O-rings from any plumbing source stand up very well, compared to the short life original McCoy O-rings. There are even better compounds such as Nitrile O-rings if you think you need them. Even the original rings lasted for approximately a half dozen flights on my Firebaby with the balloon tank of unknown capacity.

The second model McCoy .049 diesel with the venturi insert, and beam mounts was both more powerful, and reliable than the original. I have one still new, but have been very happy with my originals, so it remains unrun.

A Goggle search should find reviews for the Duraglow, along with parts lists, etc.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old 12-07-2013, 02:15 AM
qazimoto

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by william hanshaw
Hello Fellas,

I haven't been active on this thread for a while....got sidetracked with intestinal problems and didn't feel much like hobbying. However I have been monitoring along, and have had some excellent and generous assistance from friends I've made here.

I just acquired a McCoy Duraglo .049 and am cleaning it up to test run. I remember some time ago obtaining an exploded view sheet of the Duraglo. Does anyone have such an image they can post so I can study it? And, I believe I've lost my previous fuel formula good for the McCoy's and OK's, that one of you helped me with. I sure would appreciate getting that info again. And Happiest of Holidays to you all.
We've discussed this matter on here a few times. Here's my reply from quite a few years ago and a few links to a further discussion (Barton c/l site) on both radial and beam mounted versions of the McCoy 049.

The test articles from Aeromodeller are posted there (and below). There's also a link to Adrian Duncan's article on the Model Engine News site.

Mine are still running with the replacement o-rings fitted. I also have a unrun PAL replica.

The Mccoy 049 diesel was known as the 049 "duraglo" Diesel which does seem like a contradiction to modern eyes.
Probably it made sense in the 1950's.

They are a lovely little motor, a little fragile but so were a lot of others. There were two versions, the earlier being radial mounted the later beam.

The beam mounted version is the more powerful.

Try these links on the Barton c/l website for informed discussion on them. There are also copies of the engine tests and instructions there IIRC.

http://www.controlline.org.uk/phpBB2...9+diesel#64418

http://www.controlline.org.uk/phpBB2...iesel&&start=0

I have a few of each type and normally run them on 25% castor 35% ether 40% kerosene with about 1.5-2% Ignition improver added to the mix. Yes it adds up to over 100% but that's how it's done in diesel world. Otherwise a fuel of "one of each" off castor, ether and kero will also work. There are discussions on the Diesel forum explaining where to get the ingredients in the USA.

Remember use lots of castor oil not synthetic.

I have one in a Freeflight "Tomboy" which is a good match.

A 7 x 3 Master or APC prop is a good place to start. Otherwise a Master 6 x 4 will also work.

One last thing, don't be tempted to use an electric starter. It will end badly.

Good luck.

Ray

Name:	29.PNG
Views:	113
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	1945500   Click image for larger version

Name:	30.PNG
Views:	113
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	1945501   Click image for larger version

Name:	31.PNG
Views:	88
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	1945502   Click image for larger version

Name:	32.PNG
Views:	86
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	1945503   Click image for larger version

Name:	explodedView.jpg
Views:	1582
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	1945511  

Last edited by qazimoto; 12-07-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Until recently, the Elmores maintained a very interesting site. Sadly, it is gone now.

Two of their many sites were:
scans of model engine tests published in UK mags Aeromodeller and Ian Allan Model Aviation (through to the 1960's?)

and of CL model construction articles from the same sources, and over the same era.

One thing very obvious in the tests of diesels from the 1950's, particularly, was that they didn't run much RPM compared to inexpensive US glows of the same time. In terms of reliability and strength, running larger props requires lower compression, and vice versa. This thread suggests to me that some of the breakage we experienced may have been due to running glow-size props on engines not intended for glow-size RPMs.

Ron Warring's 1953 test of the McCoy 049D, above, mentions the shaft breakage problem, and that McCoy advised they had changed the shaft material and machining. He only saw about 13,000 RPM (if I read the somewhat fuzzy text correctly) on a 6-2 prop, mild even for that time...
Old 12-13-2013, 12:18 AM
qazimoto

Originally Posted by Lou Crane
Until recently, the Elmores maintained a very interesting site. Sadly, it is gone now.

scans of model engine tests published in UK mags Aeromodeller and Ian Allan Model Aviation (through to the 1960's?)

and of CL model construction articles from the same sources, and over the same era.

One thing very obvious in the tests of diesels from the 1950's, particularly, was that they didn't run much RPM compared to inexpensive US glows of the same time. In terms of reliability and strength, running larger props requires lower compression, and vice versa. This thread suggests to me that some of the breakage we experienced may have been due to running glow-size props on engines not intended for glow-size RPMs.

Ron Warring's 1953 test of the McCoy 049D, above, mentions the shaft breakage problem, and that McCoy advised they had changed the shaft material and machining. He only saw about 13,000 RPM (if I read the somewhat fuzzy text correctly) on a 6-2 prop, mild even for that time...

Actually there are some better scans of the Aeromodeller and Model Aircraft magazine McCoy engine tests on Ian(?) Moffit's (Downunder) new engine test website.

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Eng...20Diesels.html

The other scans come off the digitized copies of AM and MA that Zoe Quilter publishes regularly and are usually archived on the Colin Usher site.

The little radially mounted McCoy is my absolute favorite .75cc diesel for Free Flight. This is even over the Mill .75, though most will regard this claim as heresy.

I run mine with the comp well backed off on a 6 x 4 and sofar it's been fine.

I suspect that the early broken cranks with the McCoy and OK diesels were due to over reving using fuels with no ignition improver and far to much compression.

The OK 074 is also a sweet little diesel. Another of my favorites for FF.

Ray
Old 12-13-2013, 12:26 AM
errormuddler

Originally Posted by Lou Crane

the Elmore site seems to have been saved on another called "the wayback machine"
can sometimes be accessed here http://web.archive.org/web/201007090...k/telmore.html

well worth the trouble, its a really valuable resource
Old 12-13-2013, 01:46 AM
qazimoto

Thanks Alan,

the Colin Usher repository of Aeromodeller and Model Aircraft magazines are here:

http://www.colinusher.info/Model%20Aircraft/images.html

Zoe Quilter's pages are here:

http://www.fuelsoaked.me.uk/

Ray
Old 09-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Dayle

Thumbs down McCoy "5"

Can anyone out there help me. I have a McCoy .049 glow motor without needle valve and need to know the thread size so that I can obtain materials to make one.

Kind regards
Dayle
Old 09-20-2017, 02:41 PM
qazimoto

Last edited by qazimoto; 09-20-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:54 PM
qazimoto

I just measured one on a diesel 049, and I make it 1.83mm diameter (.072") which would seem to suggest a UTS #1 size. You have two choices of pitch then Course at 64 and Fine at 72. Sorry I don't have a gauge.

Last edited by qazimoto; 09-20-2017 at 08:32 PM.