Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

PAW .09 mufflers

Old 02-04-2013, 03:41 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: PAW .09 mufflers

ORIGINAL: Dan Vincent

A friend of mine from Scotland once explained the love for the Oliver.

He said they were originally designed for team racing and even though some other .15 engines could put out more power and some had better fuel economy but the Oliver had the best balance of power and fuel economy.
Yes the Oliver is certainly a wonderful engine to run and use. This is especially true of the R250 the best Oliver of the lot. Even a fixed up CS Tiger is remarkably easy to use.

It's amazing that the basic design dates back to 1954 or so. Modern materials and machining make the latest examples the equal of much more "modern" designs.

Ray
Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: qazimoto

ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

The schneurle ported ones I would definitely rotate the opening in the collector ring to be in line with the exhaust port opening then.
If you did that the collector ring would then be superfluous.

Ray
How so Ray?

The collector ring is necessary in all cases if you intend to 'fit' the muffler for use.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:35 PM
greggles47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the Oliver is certainly a wonderful engine to run and use. This is especially true of the R250 the best Oliver of the lot. Even a fixed up CS Tiger is remarkably easy to use.

It's amazing that the basic design dates back to 1954 or so. Modern materials and machining make the latest examples the equal of much more ''modern'' designs.

Ray
Getting off topic - sorry.

Ray my CS Olly was beautiful to handle before I sent it to Andy for corrective surgery.
His list of faults was quite comprehensive. Included things like bore out of round, crankpin undersize & out of alignment.
This motor now houses most of an R250 and of course handles like an Olly should.

Greg
Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Ray

Nice series of photo's.

Intrigueing that Steve has his diesel fuel in a clear plastic (polyethylene?) bottle. I expect it was not for long term storage.

A few years ago a neighbour was using the exact same bottle for storage of petrol/two stroke oil mix for his whipper-snipper and chain saw. Said the petrol never went off. He gave me an empty spare bottle. I have it (with the two stroke mix stored in it) to this day. I have never noticed an issue.

Ether fuel would be a different proposition.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 PM
qazimoto

ORIGINAL: fiery

Ray

Nice series of photo's.

Intrigueing that Steve has his diesel fuel in a clear plastic (polyethylene?) bottle. I expect it was not for long term storage.

A few years ago a neighbour was using the exact same bottle for storage of petrol/two stroke oil mix for his whipper-snipper and chain saw. Said the petrol never went off. He gave me an empty spare bottle. I have it (with the two stroke mix stored in it) to this day. I have never noticed an issue.

Ether fuel would be a different proposition.
The clear bottle was a "Good Diggers" kero container. You can still see the label. I can only remember him using that bottle and mixing about a half litre of fuel when he gets to the field.

Don't know what happens to the stuff he doesn't use. It sure wouldn't be good for storage.

Ray

Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 PM
qazimoto

Yep, luck of the draw. Mine wouldn't run.

Bob F seems to get a good performance from the CS by changing the races.

Altering the timing to MOD spec, and riveting a large hardened steel washer to the inner backplate face.

He's only had one rod failure that I know about

Ray

ORIGINAL: greggles47

It's amazing that the basic design dates back to 1954 or so. Modern materials and machining make the latest examples the equal of much more ''modern'' designs.

Ray
Getting off topic - sorry.

Ray my CS Olly was beautiful to handle before I sent it to Andy for corrective surgery.
His list of faults was quite comprehensive. Included things like bore out of round, crankpin undersize & out of alignment.
This motor now houses most of an R250 and of course handles like an Olly should.

Greg
Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, getting back to the PAW .09 Muffler question.

Tonight I removed the muffler from the RC engine and tried it on the Blue Head Texaco engine and the early version. It fit both, provided you also use the muff from the RC engine.

If you look closely, the non-muffler engines have a higher cylinder muff with 7-fins. The Muffler cylinder muff is shorter and has only six fins.

Evidently more space is needed for the muffler ring so they removed one fin to give the required space.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 AM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Recycle -

The radial exhaust ports on PAW engines are 'subject to change' depending on the sequence and how tight the top end has been torqued.

I've always tried to array the exhaust ports so that the bridges between them face the head bolts, leaving the exhaust 'slots' unimpeded.

With that, and seeking the best-aligned torque-sequence assembly (see another post in this forum) I've had good results.

BUT, as metals stretch to meet current loads, or not, it remains possible that the sleeves in PAW engines DO migrate around their range. It doesn't appear to affect performace adversely. Why worry?

Old 02-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lou Crane Recycle - It doesn't appear to affect performace adversely. Why worry?
Why worry?
Because the subject engine in my reply is a single exhaust port model that has 2/3 less port area and I would most certainly align that reduced port with the only exit from the collector ring. If its the 360º exhaust engine with 3 times the port area then I wouldn't worry at all as the ring is a 360º collector.
Not aligning the only port with the only exit would ram the exhaust gases up against the collectors vertical wall about 10mm away from the cylinder wall and I would think, adversly effect performance for no benefit.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed!

Old 07-10-2013, 12:16 AM
fiery

PAW experts:

Please advise the technical differencs of each of these 149's, compared to the standard TBR 149's.

One box has a circular "tuned" sticker on it; the the other is marked "G". I presume to denote "british goodyear"?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91443.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1899079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58778.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1899080   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45247.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1899081  
Old 07-10-2013, 12:35 AM
qazimoto

Duplicate post.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:43 AM
qazimoto

PAW experts:

Please advise the technical differencs of each of these 149's, compared to the standard TBR 149's.

One box has a circular ''tuned'' sticker on it; the the other is marked ''G''. I presume to denote ''british goodyear''?

I'd go out on a limb and say that those two boxes with the DS149 stamp don't match the engines, although there are black diagonal lines possibly cancelling the labeling.

The engines shown are TBR PAW 09's. They are very strong 09 diesels albeit with a vulnerable conrod little end when run very fast.

I don't know about the r/c engine, but the ''Goodyear'' (as opposed to a ''combat'') engine has the NVA through where the venturi grub screw(s) usually are.

The engines are normally mounted sidewinder style in control line models and the NVA position shown is closer to the engine thrust line to suit a racing tank.

The Combat style has the venturi held in by a grub screw and the NVA assembly is positioned about 10mm or so further outboard to suit a stunt tank in the model.

Otherwise it can be mounted upright or inverted in a c/l stunter with the deep tank design allowing inverted flight.

The Tuning sticker (if it relates to these engines) may mean that ports etc have been matched and timing checked. They may have lightened the piston as well.

It was more likely done to the 149DS engines.

Ray

Old 07-10-2013, 03:51 PM
fiery

Thanks Ray.

Are the "goodyear" examples timed or ported differently?
Old 07-10-2013, 04:04 PM
qazimoto

Thanks Ray.

Are the ''goodyear'' examples timed or ported differently?

I have one of each and the parts are probably interchanged by now. I haven't noticed any difference.

Both of mine were used inverted in 1/2A team racers. As I said above very strong runners but thirsty compared with an Oliver Tiger Cub.

Your motors will make great sports engines. You won't be disappointed.

You can easily convert the Goodyear version back to standard or r/c for that matter.

Let me know if you ever need any spares, I won't be using mine again.

Pic shows the TBR PAW 09 powered Frog Hornet 1/2A Team Racer. The engine has a Cox TD 049 NVA.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72094.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1899257  
Old 07-10-2013, 06:34 PM
fiery

Thanks Ray. The engines are in very good conditon. I suspect each has only a few minutes bench run time.