Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Diesel conversion on rc boat

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 PM
FAST BOAT BOY
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel conversion on rc boat

Has any one tried this and what results I have some cmb engines that I would like to do
Old 02-10-2014, 09:14 PM
DerFly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FAST BOAT BOY
Has any one tried this and what results I have some cmb engines that I would like to do
I remember many years ago an article in MAN,where a chap converted a ducted fan plane to diesel. This would have been mid 80's. Engine was a Rossi 81, if memory serves.

I'm sure you can do this with a CMB, so long as you can make/find a head for it.

I suspect that one would have to tread carefully insofar as avoiding over compression, to further avoid breakage of internal parts.

Good luck,

DF
Old 02-11-2014, 02:10 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know if converting a CMB Marine glow to diesel would be worth the trouble or not.

I'd guess that it wouldn't be too successful beyond novelty value, since a glow can run on pressure with a pipe and use lots of nitro for extra power.

A clubmate bought the spectacularly engineered glow marine engine shown below from an eastern European country for very little.

It's built around an MVVS 2.5cc glow. He plans to convert it to a aircraft diesel.

:-).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mvvs001.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	1967581  
Old 02-11-2014, 05:57 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

High timed engines don't run as well as a diesel versus glow I don't believe - someone correct me here. That's not saying diesels can't turn high rpm. I've little experience with diesels but I just don't see it being worthwhile as has been said previously. It is my understanding marine engines are generally timed pretty hot to turn crazy rpm on lots of nitro. That and I don't think you'd want a water cooled diesel as heat is your friend (to a point).

Armchair engineering here; looking for some correction and further insight if anyone can elaborate. I've entertained this idea before and scrapped it early on due to cost and time effectiveness.