Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Engine collection information.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:33 PM
landy95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all
Im looking for advice, an ebay member has contacted me regarding the oliver 2.5 twin shaft. He is suggesting that i am trying to fool people into thinking the engine i am selling is an original, i have stated it has been produced by BMP with the agreement and consent of john s,oliver and clint hill engineering, i am no expert and im selling these engines on behalf of my mother to fund the funeral payment, my question is does anyone else get the impression that i am trying to con ebay members. All i have is a box an engine and in some cases paperwork inside which i have disclosed. I can honestly say that if anyone was to purchase one of these engines and think they had been mis-sold i would not hesitate it accepting the engine back and refunding in full. It maybe that this is normal conduct with some ebay members who have nothing else to do, but i would appreciate your comments. Cheers neil.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:00 PM
gossie

Tell him/her to read and DIGEST the information you have provided on the listing.

There's always one clown in every crowd.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:09 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by landy95
Hi all
Im looking for advice, an ebay member has contacted me regarding the oliver 2.5 twin shaft. He is suggesting that i am trying to fool people into thinking the engine i am selling is an original, i have stated it has been produced by BMP with the agreement and consent of john s,oliver and clint hill engineering, i am no expert and im selling these engines on behalf of my mother to fund the funeral payment, my question is does anyone else get the impression that i am trying to con ebay members. All i have is a box an engine and in some cases paperwork inside which i have disclosed. I can honestly say that if anyone was to purchase one of these engines and think they had been mis-sold i would not hesitate it accepting the engine back and refunding in full. It maybe that this is normal conduct with some ebay members who have nothing else to do, but i would appreciate your comments. Cheers neil.
Someone is being unwarrantedly suspicious to claim you are attempting to con anyone. Having checked the Ebay listing it is quite clear and unequivocal what the provenance of the item is-did the Ebay member who complained to you even bother to read the listing? Having dealt with John Goodall of BMP on numerous occasions-and having visited him several times, I can vouch utterly for his integrity-he worked quite closely with Arne Hende as well-and they collaborated on a number of joint replica projects, some of which were specific to BMP, others were sold by several sources. John may well have initiated this replica off his own initiative (or perhaps in association with others-but it would have been as stated-with the blessing of John Oliver Jr. Knowing John Goodall's standards-the replica would have been produced to similar standards (if not better) than the originals Oliver ones

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 11-22-2014, 02:15 PM
landy95

Originally Posted by gossie
Tell him/her to read and DIGEST the information you have provided on the listing.

There's always one clown in every crowd.
Thanks Gossie you have put my mind at rest, I did put it to him that the description states it was produced by BMP, his reply was as follows.

"It would be useful to know when it was made.... not in the 50's or 60's for sure... and it certainly would fool someone who only took a quick glance at the picture!! Bit like buying a print, not an oil....

CS make copies of Oliver engines, but Oliver Tiger CS has a totally different meaning to a collector, Copeman Special with the lightning insignia is valuable.... some have bought CS copies and been much aggrieved... I have come across cynical modellers who have added the mark to the outside without any tuning whatsoever....

Would it be too much to ask for an honest and simple description of its origins?? COPY manufactured WHEN

There is a word for sales people who are absolutely correct in law, but still sell items that are not what they appear to be!!

I also sell used cars....

Thanks for your time!! Jim - former SMAE Area officer incidentally"

I was flabbergasted.
Cheers
Neil
Old 11-22-2014, 02:26 PM
landy95

Originally Posted by ffkiwi
Someone is being unwarrantedly suspicious to claim you are attempting to con anyone. Having checked the Ebay listing it is quite clear and unequivocal what the provenance of the item is-did the Ebay member who complained to you even bother to read the listing? Having dealt with John Goodall of BMP on numerous occasions-and having visited him several times, I can vouch utterly for his integrity-he worked quite closely with Arne Hende as well-and they collaborated on a number of joint replica projects, some of which were specific to BMP, others were sold by several sources. John may well have initiated this replica off his own initiative (or perhaps in association with others-but it would have been as stated-with the blessing of John Oliver Jr. Knowing John Goodall's standards-the replica would have been produced to similar standards (if not better) than the originals Oliver ones

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Thanks ffkiwi, I was getting really wound up by his comments but wondered if others agreed with him. I wont say what the wife wanted to reply with, I didn't realise she had heard the words!!
Cheers mate.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:46 PM
ffkiwi

And he's ..ig ignorant as well-if he had much knowledge of the engine collecting side he would know that Barton Model Products only started in 1994, with the publication of 'Model engine world' Vol 1 #1-and the engine sales funed the magazine and vice versa as time went on. Tell this guy to go and read up 'Model Engine World'-as the replica Oliver Twinshaft is a BMP product I can guarantee that both its provenance and dating will be covered in the magazine. Such projects were announced in advance of delivery, as there was only a limited run produced (the Arne Hende replicas for example were only produced in tranches of 100 items) and it was usually necessary to reserve one in advance if you wanted one, and John g used to advertise extensively in the magazine.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 11-22-2014, 04:23 PM
gossie

Ask the fool if he has contacted BMP as yet.

I certainly hope he tunes into this forum and then perhaps wakes up to himself........He needs to go flog a few more used car rockets and pull his head in. LOL.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:54 PM
coriolan

The twin shaft engine for tether cars was very popular and used in the "Tiger two-five' and many cars of the period!
"http://www.onthewire.co.uk/images/Oliver.jpg
http://www.henribaigent.org/Round%20...Pole%20era.htm
From Onthewire:http://www.onthewire.co.uk/firms.htm
[
J.A. OLIVER (engineering). John Oliver senior ran a cycle car and motorcycle repair business in Nottingham. During the war he used his workshop facilities for precision work on Government contracts. With the war over and little work for his original business he turned to the manufacture of small capacity model diesel engines. The original Battleaxe and Jaguar engines were made as twinshafts for car use along with a folded aluminium chassis sold as the Two-Five. In 1949 the engine that was to bring fame to the Oliver name was designed. This was the first of the 2.5cc RV Tiger engines. In twinshaft form it became the standard unit for virtually all C class cars. In the early 50s Oliver, started to produce a range of cast aluminium pans from the scale Alfa Romeo and semi scale Tiger Two-Five to the purely functional Tiger Bomb and Bottoms Up. Oliver probably produced more tethered cars and engines than any other manufacturer. So successful and powerful was the Tiger that it found fame the world over as an aero engine for team racing, combat and free flight]
Old 11-24-2014, 03:17 PM
landy95

Originally Posted by coriolan
The twin shaft engine for tether cars was very popular and used in the "Tiger two-five' and many cars of the period!
"http://www.onthewire.co.uk/images/Oliver.jpg
http://www.henribaigent.org/Round%20...Pole%20era.htm
From Onthewire:http://www.onthewire.co.uk/firms.htm
[
J.A. OLIVER (engineering). John Oliver senior ran a cycle car and motorcycle repair business in Nottingham. During the war he used his workshop facilities for precision work on Government contracts. With the war over and little work for his original business he turned to the manufacture of small capacity model diesel engines. The original Battleaxe and Jaguar engines were made as twinshafts for car use along with a folded aluminium chassis sold as the Two-Five. In 1949 the engine that was to bring fame to the Oliver name was designed. This was the first of the 2.5cc RV Tiger engines. In twinshaft form it became the standard unit for virtually all C class cars. In the early 50s Oliver, started to produce a range of cast aluminium pans from the scale Alfa Romeo and semi scale Tiger Two-Five to the purely functional Tiger Bomb and Bottoms Up. Oliver probably produced more tethered cars and engines than any other manufacturer. So successful and powerful was the Tiger that it found fame the world over as an aero engine for team racing, combat and free flight]
Very interesting, so it used to be called round the pole racing? I think all the noisy smelly hobbies are the best, also interesting to read how well regarded the Olivers were and that goes for John Oliver as an engineer not just the engines. Cheers Coriolan I can see I might have to keep some of these engines I'm getting interested.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:39 PM
ffkiwi

John Goodall (who seems to be a target for the bitter and ill informed in some quarters) wrote and published the definitive book on the Olivers and their engines. I was privileged to get an advance read of the final manuscript the last time I visited him in 2003. It was published in 2004-in both hardback and paperback versions-and a scan of the front dust cover of the hardback is attached here. For those of you who might want a copy or to borrow one from a library, the ISBN numbers are: ISBN 0-9547060-0-5 (Hardback) and ISBN 0-9547060-1-3 (Paperback)-these wll at least allow you to catalogue search Amazon etc

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	The Olivers and a Tiger.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2049906  
Old 11-24-2014, 07:59 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Still available from Bamopro, though price is steep

http://bamopro.co.uk/products-2/bamopro-shop/
Old 11-25-2014, 11:19 AM
landy95

Hi everyone, added the Clan 0.48cc and Clan 0.24cc diesels today.
Clan 0.24cc Diesel model aircraft engine (111529306908)
Clan 0.48cc Diesel Model aircraft engine (111529307280)
Cheers
Old 12-08-2014, 10:21 AM
landy95

Hi all
I have added the PAW 15 TBR GTS2 Race tuned engine.
P.A.W 15 TBR GTS2 RACE TUNED AIRCRAFT DIESEL ENGINE (111542847396)
All the best.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:08 PM
landy95

I have now also added the following engines for those interested.
MVVS .15 (2.5cc) Model Aircraft Glow Plug Engine (111542946714)
McCoy .049 Duro Glo Diesel Tethered Aircraft Engine (111542948673)
A.E 0.2cc Diesel Allen Engineering High performance Diese... (111542949802)
Cheers
Old 12-09-2014, 08:41 AM
JohnAV8R

Nice diesels. Should go well.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:04 AM
landy95

Hi everyone hope you all had a good Christmas.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a Oliver Tiger MK V I have listed my fathers on Ebay.
Oliver Tiger Mk V Diesel engine (111564671377)

All the Best
Neil
Old 01-02-2015, 11:00 AM
landy95

Originally Posted by landy95
Hi everyone hope you all had a good Christmas.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a Oliver Tiger MK V I have listed my fathers on Ebay.
Oliver Tiger Mk V Diesel engine (111564671377)

All the Best
Neil
Sorry all I had to relist as I hadn't noticed the silly time it would finish at.

Relisted here.
Oliver Tiger Mk V Diesel engine (111564848331)
Cheers
Old 01-18-2015, 10:42 AM
landy95

Hi Everyone I have the following engines on EBAY if your interested.
MOTORI ENGINES Super Tigre G15 FI Goodyear Glow Engine (111576990906)
BWF Modellmotor in ABC-Technik 2.5 ccm Glow Plug Engine (111577007065)
P.A.L. "Mcoy .049 Diesel Engine" Replica (111577021500)
PAW 19 MK2 DIESEL GTS 2 (111577030090)
PAW 55 BR Diesel Engine (111577049226)
MAP3 TAUMYH 2.5ccm Russian Glow Plug Engine (111577060397)

Cheers
Neil