Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Everything Diesel
Reload this Page >

East and West - 1. OTM Swift (Stryz) 1.5 c.c.

Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

East and West - 1. OTM Swift (Stryz) 1.5 c.c.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:59 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default East and West - 1. OTM Swift (Stryz) 1.5 c.c.

I recently looked over and ran a NIB example of this Soviet era Russian plain bearing 1.5 c.c. (.09 c.i.) CIS sport diesel

The Good:

Nicely turned and finished black anodised alloy prop driver, venturi, back plate and steel spinner nut.

Forged and very nicely finished connecting rod.

Steel insert in top of cooling jacket for compression screw. Compression screw a nice fit in insert with no play. Bottom cut off at 15 degree angle - agricultural, but effective to resist 'wandering' when running.

Nicely machined threads for back plate and cylinder.

Nice shaft/ main bearing fit. Gudgeon pin is correct length.

Crank web has 'cut outs' for balancing and is chemically treated with a black finish to minimise chance of rust.

No swarf found in case. Case full of congealed cosmoline which was removed prior to test.

Contra piston fit is perfect. No leaks, but moves up readily when compression is reduced when hot; unlike many Russian engines where all too often they are fitted too tight, causing 'lock up' when hot.

No excess fore-aft play on shaft. Running clearance from front of case to prop driver is perfect.

Mass with needle and spinner nut is 70 grams. That's light.

Comes with a nice combi-tool and mounting bolts and washers. Detailed instructions in four languages and schematic diagram.

The Bad:

Connecting rod big end is a slightly loose fit on crank pin, but within acceptable tolerance (racers would say it 'just right').

NVA spray bar thread is fine with very small diameter jet holes. You get fine needle adjustment (good). I stripped the alloy thread on the spray bar when nipping up the too thin section spray bar fixing nut (bad). I will sort it with a thicker section nut which will have more (and still good) thread area on the spray bar to spread the tension over.

Piston fit is on the slack side of acceptable. Minimal running in needed, but fit is slack when hot.

The tommy bar is well done but uses an overly thin gauge wire. When hot it is unpleasant to adjust. I suspect it is the same as fitted to the OTM 0,8 c.c.Hummingbird (Kolibri).

Combi-tool is wrong size. Clearly for the Hummingbird!

The Ugly:

The shaft is one to two degrees off perpendicular looking down on engine due to the main bearing not being bored straight. Imagine looking down at a traditional clock face. This one is at two to twelve.

Venturi is not centred in intake, it is offset to one side slightly.

Mounting holes in lugs are left with swarf on upper surface where the drill bit has 'burst' through. Compare with the Russian MK-17, where the holes are 'finish faced' on the upper surface to clean them up. Forward holes are also too close to case bottom, and front end of lugs.

Verdict:

An older 'classic style' nice looking engine which ticks a lot of box's, including price, for use in 1.5 c.c. sport F/F and C/L. Let down by wayward machining. Fairly easy to start and handle apart from the 'skinny' tommy bar. Runs well despite issues noted above.

Not recommended for beginners unless thoroughly inspected before purchase by someone with experience.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1207[1].JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2153369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1208[1].JPG
Views:	72
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2153370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1209[1].JPG
Views:	62
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2153371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1210[1].JPG
Views:	55
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2153372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1211[1].JPG
Views:	54
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2153373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213[1].JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2153374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1220[1].JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2153375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1221[1].JPG
Views:	45
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2153376  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1222[1].JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2153377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1225[1].JPG
Views:	56
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2153378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1228[1].JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2153379   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1230[1].JPG
Views:	56
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2153380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1231[1].JPG
Views:	60
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2153381  

Last edited by fiery; 03-24-2016 at 09:01 PM. Reason: missing words and punctuation
Old 03-24-2016, 08:30 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

East and West - 1. Allbon Javelin Mk. 2

For the "West" contender for the 1.5 c.c. division we have an Allbon Javelin Mk.2. Made in England, probably between 1952 and 1955.

This example was made just after Davies Charlton & Co reached an arrangement with Allbon to manufacture the engine. The box, which is original, gives the manufacturering address as Rainhall Road, Barnoldswick, Lancashire.

It presents very nicely and is a very low time example.

The only non original feature is the DC Sabre spinner nut. The shaft extension thread is 2BA. It has the correct nut, but the prop washer is undersize and clearly not original. I will have to make one up. Prop washers fitted to early FROG and many other British engines were delicate and could distort or shatter in service.

The Good:

Nicely turned out pressure die cast case, left in natural finish. Script with the manufacturers name and 'Made in England" on the under flanks of the case is very well executed.

Piston fit,bearing fit, and connecting rod fits are as expected. Very good indeed and as nice as may be expected from a 'consumer' diesel for sport and perhaps competition use. No scorch marks. 'tram tracks' , or shiny ring at the top of the piston. A nice even light grey all over the skirt. All appear well and a long life may be expected.

Weight is 80 grams with spinner nut, or 78 grams with prop nut and washer. Light, but surprisingly, heavier than the OTM Swift.

Alloy parts including the beautiful red re-anodised cooling jacket are very well turned and polished.

Contra piston fit is perfect. The compression screw is not 'wobbly' in the top of the jacket, and the tommy bar does not get too hot. It is a pleasure to manipulate.

The Bad:

Far too much shaft fore-aft play. Over one millimetre. The prop driver does not seat perfectly on the matching part of the shaft extension. I sorted this before running it by installing a suitable spacer shim. Now float is 0,2 millimetre. This is not typical of the brand. I have other Allbon's including another Javelin which are fine in this regard.

I can't unscrew the back plate using reasonable force and a well fitted steel washer. Again, not really a 'fault', but it must be screwed in ridiculously tight and then gummed up with old castor.

Needle looks of "cottage manufacturer" standard, with solder everywhere. That said it has been finish filed to a pleasing profile and has no blobs. I would normally guess a home "re-solder" job by a competent previous owner to mend it when the needle came loose, however I have other Allbon's with copious solder applied to the needle. At least this one will never come loose in the holder.

Delicate prop washer as supplied. Missing on this example and likely to have been damaged or destroyed in the engines earlier life. No doubt due to the short-ish length of the crankshaft extension.

The cooling jacket came loose on the third run and was nipped up hot. This is commonplace with 'screw-on' cooling jacket engines.At least there are flats on the Javelin's top fin allowing tightening to be safely undertaken with plenty of bearing area to accept the load from the spanner. Procedure carried out with no bruising to the anodising. I prefer that arrangement to a pin spanner where all load is taken by two small drilled holes in the top fin.

The ugly:

Nothing to report. All machining nicely done. Lug holes tidy and well spaced.

The Verdict:

A quintessential "classic" British 1.5 c.c. diesel, dating from the time when English engines were hugely competitive (if not world leaders) and the manufacturers were proudly turning out quality work in a competitive market place.

It starts easily and adjusts readily on needle and compression. Maximum RPM on a nylon 7 x 4 prop was 12,400. Not too shabby. Compression still held fairly well hot. As such, hot re-starts were not an issue provided correct prime was applied. A keeper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1229[1].JPG
Views:	36
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2154073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1242[1].JPG
Views:	36
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2154074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1244[1].JPG
Views:	39
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2154075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1246[1].JPG
Views:	24
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2154076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1247[1].JPG
Views:	37
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2154077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1236[1].JPG
Views:	27
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	2154078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1237[1].JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	2154079   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1238[1].JPG
Views:	40
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	2154080  

Last edited by fiery; 04-14-2016 at 04:26 AM.