Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Aurora Diesels

Old 03-17-2017, 08:53 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aurora Diesels

Anyone with experience on Aurora Diesels? Their crank case castings are hideous in quality but that usually doesn't matter if they run well and last. Your thoughts?
Old 03-18-2017, 11:33 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am repeat offender.

The word 'hideous' is not undeserved. Not for the faint of heart.

Treat them as a kit with many possible sub standard parts.

That said once sorted they can (and for me do) run very acceptably.

Go to YouTube and type in 'Aurora Model Diesel' and you will see I have posted a number of videos.

Last edited by fiery; 03-18-2017 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Update
Old 03-28-2017, 06:50 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just watched your videos on the Auroras, nice motors. WOW, you sure have a lot of cool videos! I especially like the one on Olaf. Seems like a cool guy to have known.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:23 PM
maxtenet

Probably the most user friendly diesels made in my opinion. They are not fussy about setting and start more easily than any other diesels I have and that is around 40 of them. The carbs are lousy but usable on a sport plane. Years ago I actually flew a Falcon 56 with an Aurora 2.5. I'm considering putting my Aurora .40 on a new Tweety Bird ARF but I might go with my Irvine diesel or my homemade Fox diesel conversion.

Max
Old 03-29-2017, 02:33 PM
fiery

I agree Max. The R/C carbs supplied with the K series Aurora diesels are very poor.

To turn your K650 into an engine that will rival a good glow two stroke for throttle stability and clean pick up try the 5.2 mm rotor bore diameter R/C carb from a Magnum/ASP/SC .15. These are available from Just Engines in the UK.

Here is that very carb installed on my K600, which has a first class piston/liner fit. The 10 mm OD spigot is sleeved to 7/16 " (11.22 mm) OD to snugly fit into the intake boss. Just engines will make that sleeve for you at fair cost.

Idle and transition are superb with this carb.The engine will idle at 2,200 RPM as long as I wish, then pick up without hesitation or sputtering once the throttle is advanced. It had been idling for over five minutes before I started recording this video.

Incredibly easy hand starting is the cherry on top once it is sorted. I wish my PAW .35 TBR started as easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDuTy-9-gys

Last edited by fiery; 03-29-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:10 PM
maxtenet

Wow. That is impressive! What prop were u running?
Max
Old 03-29-2017, 03:17 PM
fiery

The prop shown is a 'Thunder Tiger' (Graupner grey 'Super Nylon' copy) 11.3 x 8.

A 12 x 6 Graupner Super Nylon (or similar broad blade GRP) prop would be perfect.

The procedure for setting the ASP carb to work with a diesel is to screw in the low speed needle until the jet will flow just enough fuel at 5 turns out on the main needle to allow correct high speed fuel/air ratio. You effectively tune with the low speed needle, not the high speed needle. Diesels can suffer when glow R/C carbs are installed as often the diameter of the intake orifice in the rotor barrel is too great and the mixture at low to 2/3 thirds barrel opening is over rich, which causes the all too common sputtering and poor pick-up when throttle is advanced.

The 'cooling-off' syndrome associated with extended low speed diesel operation is not an issue when the mixture in transition is optimised for model engine diesel fuel/air ratios.

Last edited by fiery; 03-29-2017 at 06:41 PM.