Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

New no ether diesel fuel = WD 40

Old 08-06-2017, 02:03 PM
grant-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Thumbs up New no ether diesel fuel = WD 40

I have read that WD 40 works just as good as starting fluid in a full size diesel. I decided to test this with my PAW 06. I mixed 50/50 30 weight motor oil and WD 40. The engine started right up with an mini electric starter and ran well at WOT. I did not have any success trying to get it to throttle down however it ran well in a no rc setting.

I also made a batch of 1 part 30 weight motor oil, 1 part lamp oil and 1 part WD 40. Still works well.

I could get it to idle down pretty well backing of the compression screw. This seemed to work better with the WD40 fuel. WD 40 smells like kerosene burning.

I have a few videos however I am trying to find a free app to edit them for U tube.

Grant
Old 08-06-2017, 04:19 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WD40 is basically mineral spirits (paint thinner) and light oil and some dispersants.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:25 PM
qazimoto

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant-RCU View Post
I have read that WD 40 works just as good as starting fluid in a full size diesel. I decided to test this with my PAW 06. I mixed 50/50 30 weight motor oil and WD 40. The engine started right up with an mini electric starter and ran well at WOT. I did not have any success trying to get it to throttle down however it ran well in a no rc setting.

I also made a batch of 1 part 30 weight motor oil, 1 part lamp oil and 1 part WD 40. Still works well.

I could get it to idle down pretty well backing of the compression screw. This seemed to work better with the WD40 fuel. WD 40 smells like kerosene burning.

I have a few videos however I am trying to find a free app to edit them for U tube.

Grant
Yep, various people have discovered that their diesel engine will run with Etherless fuel over the years. The engine usually doesn't last too long on these concoctions. Broken crankshafts, crankpins and even split crankcases around the main bearing usually is the result. Trouble is that you have to increase the compression beyond "normal" settings to get ignition. Fortunately PAW spares are still available.

Last edited by qazimoto; 08-09-2017 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:39 AM
grant-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Real Kerosene and what is labeled kerosene in the stores such as Lowes and Walmart are not the same.

Low odor or odorless mineral spirits, most store kerosene, Kingsford lighter fluid and up to 68% of WD 40 are all the same Petroleum distillates Hydro treated light . CAS # 64742-47-8. This oil has a flash point range of 154 F to 165 F and a auto ignition temp of 456 F.

Real Kerosene is JET A or pump kerosene. CAS 8008-20-6 .

Kerosene has a flash point range of 100 F to 150 F and a auto ignition temp of 428 F.

Chevron specs their JET A with a flash point of 100 F and an auto ignition temp of 410 F.

Chevron sepcs there #2 diesel with a flash point of 125 F and an auto ignition temp of 494 F.

I would think the Jet A specs would be the most accurate due to this being aviation fuel. The next time I go out to fly the old Cessna, I am going to buy a gallon of it or see if I can get some from the storage tank sample.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:33 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The pump kerosene I've used had a slightly green/brownish color to it whereas the Jet A fuel I got was clear as water. So at least around my neck of the woods, kerosene and Jet A are not the same. I believe Jet A is refined more and is cleaner. In my model diesels, my kerosene and Jet A run the same, make the same power, and are equally sooty. I do intend to experiment with regular pump diesel #2 to see how it runs.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:15 AM
grant-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pump diesel does not run as well as the mineral spirits. I tired it yesterday. More compression andsmokey and the engine sounds not too happy.

I think it is just dye n the kerosene vs no dye in the jet a. You can look up the msds for each and see.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:31 PM
qazimoto

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There was quite a lot of experimentation with Kero for model diesel engines here a few years ago. The technical experts with the local suppliers came back with statements like "all kero is basically Jet-A1" etc. The colour here is a shade of blue. It's there for safety reasons, so young kids won't mistake it for something else that's drinkable. Jet A1 from aviation sources may have anti fungal additives etc. Best thing is to experiment till you find something that works and then stick to it.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:40 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant-RCU View Post
Pump diesel does not run as well as the mineral spirits. I tired it yesterday. More compression andsmokey and the engine sounds not too happy.

I think it is just dye n the kerosene vs no dye in the jet a. You can look up the msds for each and see.
I wouldn't be trying pump diesel without ether. I'm a purist - my fuel will always have ether in it.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:18 AM
franchi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello All:

Yeas ago, I discovered by accident that W 40 would start my engine very easily. I put a small amount of it in the tank, started the engine and ran the tank dry. This was done with NO adjustments to the engine. The exhaust residue was black! I never attempted this again. If were a good idea, everybody would be doing it. Oh yes, the engine started first flip each time. Perhaps I should have learned to use WD 40 as a starting aid by priming the engine with it. I never though of doing this until now due to being less that bold. Perhaps I will try it soon.

Thought/comments?

Franchi
Old 09-08-2017, 08:38 AM
controlliner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The kero in stores and Jet A1 are low sulfur fuels, tat is why they are clear. Franchi, black residue with improper fuel mix is your onnecting rod big end going bye bye.

Search this Thread