Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Newbie hello

Reply
Old 08-07-2017, 01:26 AM
  #1
joelomunro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Queensland, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 19
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Newbie hello

Gday fellas, I'm fairly new around here, and certainly new to the world of compression ignition engines. I live in NSW Australia and have been fooling around with R/C planes and boats on and off for a fair while, but have only just recently decided to give diesels a go out of pure curiosity. I picked up a very nice condition PAW 2.49 (early model with the vertical Venturi) and have a PAW 100 on its way also. Now to the crux of things... I'd really like to run them, on my test stand if nothing else, but sourcing fuel or it's components has proven a fruitless search to date. What do the Aussies on this forum do for juice?? My local model shop, in Fyshwick, hasn't got any and apparently Terry has been rationing out the last of his fuel lately, so it looks like that is a dead end. I'm prepared to mix my own if I can source ether, and would go down the path of draining John Deere starter fluid cans if I could find them. I'll also make some calls tomorrow to see if a lab supplies place still keeps any, but other than that I'm outta ideas. Anyhow thanks for any help that may be forthcoming.

Cheers
Joel
joelomunro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:16 AM
  #2
qazimoto
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Central Coast NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,284
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelomunro View Post
Gday fellas, I'm fairly new around here, and certainly new to the world of compression ignition engines. I live in NSW Australia and have been fooling around with R/C planes and boats on and off for a fair while, but have only just recently decided to give diesels a go out of pure curiosity. I picked up a very nice condition PAW 2.49 (early model with the vertical Venturi) and have a PAW 100 on its way also. Now to the crux of things... I'd really like to run them, on my test stand if nothing else, but sourcing fuel or it's components has proven a fruitless search to date. What do the Aussies on this forum do for juice?? My local model shop, in Fyshwick, hasn't got any and apparently Terry has been rationing out the last of his fuel lately, so it looks like that is a dead end. I'm prepared to mix my own if I can source ether, and would go down the path of draining John Deere starter fluid cans if I could find them. I'll also make some calls tomorrow to see if a lab supplies place still keeps any, but other than that I'm outta ideas. Anyhow thanks for any help that may be forthcoming.

Cheers
Joel
G'day Joe,

Solvent grade Diethyl Ether isn't a problem on the East Coast. We have a regular supply at reasonable prices. Do you visit Sydney at all? It might also be possible for you to get it from a control line flyer in Canberra or there's the annual "Oily hand" get together weekend at Cowra at the end of August. Most of the engines there will be diesels and there should be plenty of the stuff available.

Regards Ray

Last edited by qazimoto; 08-07-2017 at 02:23 AM.
qazimoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:22 AM
  #3
joelomunro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Queensland, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 19
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Thanks for the reply Ray, yes I get up to Sydney fairly regularly so could pick some up next time I'm up that way.

Cheers
Joel
joelomunro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:36 AM
  #4
qazimoto
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Central Coast NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,284
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelomunro View Post
Thanks for the reply Ray, yes I get up to Sydney fairly regularly so could pick some up next time I'm up that way.

Cheers
Joel
Joe,

as a closer alternative, the "Oily hand" weekend at Cowra will be on at the end of this month. There will be fuel available there and just make friends with the Sydney Control Liners for the contact details for Ether. Just ask for Bob Fisher or Steve Rothwell and they'll put you right.

Cowra Model Aircraft Club

Ray
qazimoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:43 AM
  #5
joelomunro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Queensland, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 19
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Good plan, I was thinking of heading out that way for a look, will try to lock it in.
Joel
joelomunro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:51 AM
  #6
qazimoto
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Central Coast NSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,284
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelomunro View Post
Good plan, I was thinking of heading out that way for a look, will try to lock it in.
Joel
There's also a control line racing competition this Sunday (13/8/17) at St Ives Showground on the North Side of Sydney. Starts around 9am, just goto the sounds of the diesels and explain what you want.

Ray
qazimoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:54 AM
  #7
joelomunro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Queensland, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 19
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I'll see what the weekend brings, have to spend a bit of time doing farm work on the excavator if the weather holds out.
Joel
joelomunro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:34 AM
  #8
wnewbury
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Taft, CA
Posts: 123
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I have had good results with PAW engines. MK 17 engine and Davis heads work OK. Other Russian and India engines not so good. I gave up on diesels because my clothes smelled bad, my skin smelled bad, my car smelled bad and the smell took forever to go away. Here in the US, Tower sells fuel.
wnewbury is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:35 AM
  #9
Dieseltinus
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Zaandam, the Netherlands
Posts: 16
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

(Don't put the newbie off) DIESELS SMELL GREAT!
Dieseltinus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:50 PM
  #10
SGC
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: OAKEYQueensland, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 1,334
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

The Toowoomba John Deer dealer carries the JD starting fluid 7oz can from memory
SGC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:49 PM
  #11
joelomunro
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Queensland, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 19
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Thanks for the help fellas
joelomunro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:34 PM.