Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

AGAIN What is a good mix for my Eiesel engines?

Old 08-27-2017, 04:44 PM
franchi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AGAIN What is a good mix for my Eiesel engines?

Hi all:

The other day I was chastised about my fuel mixture being too heavy on the oil content. I run 25% oil in my diesels and 30% ether 2% dii and the remainder kero. My flying mate informed me that he has always ,65 years of running Diesels, used this mix 14% Castrol benoil, 40% ether and the rest kero with about 2% ignition improver. I thought that 14% oil was a bit low and he stated that it has always worked well in his Ollies.and other old Diesel engines. I thought that 40% ether was a bit much but he said that it made starting much easier.

What is a good mix? Have I been too cautious on the amount of oil? Perhaps with the natural lubricity of the kero, we do not have to run as much oil as a glow engine. We are both sport CL flyers. I am a ST and MVVS man and he is an Ollie man. Am I using more oil than is needed? Perhaps 14% oil with an engine fueled via kero in lieu of alcohol will be sufficient. Team racers use much less oil in their fuels and appear to have no problems. Perhaps the secret is the kero in the fuels.

Suggestions and/ or comments?

Franchi
Old 08-28-2017, 02:46 AM
qazimoto

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Klotz Benoil hasn't been around for 65 years for a start, perhaps your friend is confusing it with Castrol M, now out of production. The former is a relatively new product. Oliver Tiger brew is 20% Castor, 30% Ether and 50% Kero. The DII content is added to the previously mixed components. Say 20 ml in one Litre of the former.

Olly brew has been varied over the years and putting the Castor content up to 25% and using less Kero is perfectly acceptable.

Running a real Oliver Tiger on 14% Oil is asking for trouble.

Last edited by qazimoto; 08-28-2017 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:46 AM
Mr Cox

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have seen low (15%) oil contents used by a friend of mine. I would say that it seems fine in modern ABC, ballbearing engines, like the Irvine .20, but not in oldschool engines like PAW. In a PAW .19 the lubrication and sealing didn't seem adequate, it gave harder starts and an unreliable idle. There is something about the metallurgi (iron piston in a steel cylinder bore) that needs castor to work well, 25% is what I use in PAW engines. Other examples include the MP Jet .061 which is most happy with 30% oil or more. So it is not a matter of one ideal fuel for all engines, depending on their construction.

For those who don't "believe" in castor oil as a lubricant, there are real experimental data to back it up. Here is graph showing the effect that the oil type and mixing ratio has on the head temperature (from Danish test in 2007). M is Castrol M (castor) and MSSR is Castrol MSSR (synthetic oil):
Attached Thumbnails
temp versus oil.pdf  
Old 08-29-2017, 10:57 AM
franchi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Diesel fuel

Hi All:

I wrote gazimoto a long message but it seemed to vanish into cyberspace

I recently purchased a quart of Benoil from a local Honda shop. I think that it was less than $9.00. In the meantime, I have gotten a deal on real castor oil that is reasonable in cost.

I too am beginning to believe that each Diesel engine is a law into itself. Each engine must have many criterion satisfied before they will run well.

Thanks fro the replies,

Franchi
Old 08-29-2017, 09:44 PM
qazimoto

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Frank,

the notion seems to have developed that Kerosene is a lubricant. This is simply untrue.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:07 PM
franchi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I sent gazimoto a post todat and once again it failed to reach this site

Why do my posts get "lost" when I send them to people on this site? My computer says that they have been sent.

franchi
Old 08-30-2017, 04:58 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Probably another technical problem with the site that Internet Brands doesn't care to fix. The management of this site seem to be incredibly lazy when it comes to fixing problems with the site due to the "software up[down]grade". Other IB forums operate just fine though.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:07 AM
qazimoto

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Frank, I don't know where your posts go, but the Internet has been slow over the past few days.

I also like the old Super Tigre diesels. Can't say that I've had any trouble with them.

Two pics of my relatively new Super Tigre G20/15D control line model. It's a Dave Clarkson design called a Midislow. Basically a 2.5cc Combat model, but this style of model is what we antipodean septuagenarians mostly fly these days. Quick to build and usually bounce a few times before they're a writeoff. Fuel is homebrew with 20% pure castor, 30% DiEthyl Ether, and 50% Kerosene. To a Litre of this brew I add 14 ml of Amsoil Cetane boost in the winter, and down to 10 ml in the middle of summer. The prop is a JXF 7x6 from Hobbyking. Motor usually starts within a few flicks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001st15.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	2229959   Click image for larger version

Name:	002st15d.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	2229960  

Last edited by qazimoto; 08-31-2017 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:19 AM
qazimoto

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 08-31-2017, 04:47 AM
franchi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi gazimoto:

Thanks for the reply.

As far as the ST G20/.15D is concerned, I have about 6-8 that all run very well. I would like to pass them onto other Diesel enthusiasts. What would be a fair price to charge for these engines? The same question for A ST .35, a with conversion, a DDD OS .40 converted runs very well, Diesel Fox .15 with DDD head,a 1983 Webra MK II NIB with all of the paper work and original box and a MVVS D7. I am growing too old too fast and ...

Suggestions?

Cheers,

Frank

Search this Thread