Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

PAW vs Norvel .074

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 08:27 AM
Walther
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAW vs Norvel .074

Anyone know how they compare? It will be for a HOB Bonanza with a MAS 6x4 three blade prop.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Warren B

What size PAW are you thinking of and would the Norvel be diesel?

Norvel 074 as a glow is an excellent engine but the 6x4 three blader might be a bit small for it.
In any case it is likely to have much more power than an equivalent weight PAW (049 or 06).
A PAW 09 (1.5 cc) will be too heavy.

However for a 36" span either PAW 049 (0.8 cc) or 06 (1.0 cc) would be just fine, perhaps a little slower than a glow Norvel.

If you are happy with just cruising around and the weight is kept under control, a PAW 55 (0.55 cc) would also do the job, but vertical performance would be very modest.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:30 AM
Walther

I am sorry that I omitted the size, the PAW is a .061. I am planning on using ether one in a HOB Bonanza. So do you think the Norvel would be happier on a 7x4 three blade?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Walther

Forgot to mention that I am installing retract and it my get a bit heavy.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:55 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will you run the Norvel .074 on diesel or glow?

The largest prop for the Norvel (on glow) is the 6.3x4 or 7x3. I have tried larger loads but the engine kind of bogs down and you get less trust from it.
The PAW on the other hand can take a 7x4 prop without any problems for the engine. That is the main difference between glow and diesel. If you run the Norvel on diesel I'm pretty sure it will easily outpower the PAW .061, and can handle even an 8x4 prop.

Another option would be the PAW .09, these are a little heavier but lighter than a typical .10 glow engines and the PAW will spin a 9x4 without any complaints. They are real smooth runners too, with a soft exhaust note.

I don't know why you are set on three blade props? These are less efficient and there are also much less of a selection to choose from.
In terms of prop load I think that a three blade 6x4 is similar to a two-blade 7x3 prop, so that might be fine for the Norvel on glow (but a bit small if you run it as a diesel).
Old 09-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Walther

I would be running the Norvel on glow I am not out get every bit of performance out of this plane. Three blade is more for scale then anything.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will not see the number of blades once the engine is running, and a heavy plane on the wrong prop is just asking for trouble. You can use a display prop for when it hangs in the shop and fly it using a two bladed one.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:29 AM
Walther

Originally Posted by Mr Cox
You will not see the number of blades once the engine is running, and a heavy plane on the wrong prop is just asking for trouble. You can use a display prop for when it hangs in the shop and fly it using a two bladed one.
You are correct, I will use a two blade prop.

Tom.