Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Plane suggestion for ED Racer

Old 09-12-2017, 04:25 PM
franchi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Plane suggestion for ED Racer

Hello All:

Today my flying mate showed up with a foam combat wing powered by an ED Racer!!!! The engine started very easily as it did in the 50's. He had a cut down? 9-6 plastic prop installed and the speed was less than fast. He had a couple of long flights on 1oz. of homebrew fuel. I have never seen this man so happy. He had never flown this engine as a youth, only on the bench about 67 years ago.

Now the question: What built up stunt plane would you suggest for this engine. He is not adverse to building from plans but perhaps a kit would be a better choice. He finally wore out his Blue Pants that he built from plans many years ago It was powered by a Oliver Tigre .15 and flew very well.

Suggestions?

Tia,

franchi
Old 09-13-2017, 11:02 PM
greggles47

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm just finishing a KK Spectre. Biggish for a 2.5 at 41" and 354 sq ins. A real good looker.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:05 AM
franchi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Plane for ED racer

Hi Greggles:

Thanks for the reply.

That plane may be too large for the ED Racer. That engine is quite anemic by today's standards. Perhaps Veco Tom Tom or similar would be a better choice. I think that they have about 320 sq. inches. My Tom Tom flies very well with a MVVS D7. Of course the D7 has much more power than the Racer.

My fling mate and I are Diesel junkies! We can't help ourselves. Lol

Cheers,

franchi

p.s. I think that it would be nearly impossible to get a KK kit shipped to the U.S.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:06 PM
ffkiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggles47 View Post
I'm just finishing a KK Spectre. Biggish for a 2.5 at 41" and 354 sq ins. A real good looker.
That's on my build list too-especially as helping to sort out a deceased clubmate's modelling estate I stumbled on what turned out to be an empty Spectre box-but still with the plan and quite a few parts inside-it looks like he'd built one from the kit then started to scratch build a second one but never completed the build. No ribs-but fortunately there's a guy on Ebay in the UK who does laser cut ribs for them (see Ebay vendor 'cgulltech' ....he has quite a range!)

Another nice design that might be suitable is Gordon Cornell's 'Princess' stunter....and there's always the good old Peacemaker-though it would be rather ho hum on an ED Racer.....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Old 09-14-2017, 02:24 PM
greggles47

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Spectre is from an old version of the kit which consisted only of printed balsa sheets. This is only just better than scratch building.
The wing ribs would be easy enough to produce by the sandwich method, so build from plan would be an option for you.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:44 PM
Warren B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What about the 334-G ?

Very elegant and streamlined, was originally powered by a Racer and won the Gold Trophy.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3540
Old 09-15-2017, 11:48 PM
steve111

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been meaning to build a 334G, always liked the look of it.

Why not another Blue Pants? That originally had a Racer in it, and flies very well.

Search this Thread