Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Everything Diesel
Reload this Page >

looking for an afforable small diesel for DC tinkering

Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

looking for an afforable small diesel for DC tinkering

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 09:19 PM
discord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for an afforable small diesel for DC tinkering

Hello,

I'm curious regarding small diesel engines. I'm trying to find a small diesel to try driving a generator for DC generation. This is a simple feasibility inquiry that I'm trying to satisfy for myself as a hobby. Ideally I could run this engine for hours at a time, would be relatively efficient, and hopefully not break or wear down too easily.

I looked around and it appears most of the really small diesel stuff happens in the RC world which brought me here. I also stumbled upon small diesel heaters which to me might have been inspired by glow engines. I like that their fuel can be regulated by a sensor / pump.

I'm a novice to small diesel engines. Please feel free to correct me and have some understanding of my ignorance. Then I was wondering if some of you would be kind enough to make some recommendations on a diesel engine that I can use with regular diesel, to give it a shot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	airtronic_how_it_works_ebuk.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	2263610  

Last edited by discord; 03-08-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:18 PM
Warren B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may need to find out a bit more about model diesels.
They are not true diesels, they are compression ignition 2 strokes.
Apart from the compression ignition they are very similar to small glow plug engines, but need different starting and adjustment techniques.

Model diesels do not have injectors and are not very similar to full size 4 stroke diesels.

They also run on castor/ether/kerosene - not pump diesel.

I doubt that model diesels are a very good stating point for your generator project.

A better starting point might be a model 4 stroke engine, either glow or ignition.