Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Everything Diesel
Reload this Page >

Who Makes Diesel Conversion Kits ?? besides Davis Diesel

Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Who Makes Diesel Conversion Kits ?? besides Davis Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 03:18 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who Makes Diesel Conversion Kits ?? besides Davis Diesel

I was wondering who or what companies make diesel conversion kits. I already know about Davis Diesel Development.
[link]http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.com/home.htm[/link]

Are there any other companies that make them?

I was wanting to try one on a rc car.

Your help is much appreciated.
Josh
Old 04-07-2005, 06:12 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Who Makes Diesel Conversion Kits ?? besides Davis Diesel

Josh,

Andrew J. Coholic; AJC makes them too (an RCU member, you can find him in these pages).

He can make them for nearly any engine, without a piston baffle (mostly Schneurle and TST engines).
And if he does not have the head that you want, you can send your glow head to him and he will use it as a template for the Diesel conversion head.
Both heads will be usable and sent to you by return mail.

Two spare Viton O-rings (for the contra-piston) will also be included.

His prices are more attractive than other sources.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:46 AM
RandyRT

RJL Mecoa makes a few http://www.mecoa.com/acc/diesel/index.htm

He makes them for cox 049 ( fits Norvel) Cox 09 and OS 40

Reasonable prices and good quality. I have the 049 size on a Norvel and it works good.

Randy
Old 04-07-2005, 07:14 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Sorry i am kind of a noob at this diesel thing. What is a piston baffel. I have rebuilt my HPI .18 SS enigine and the piston is a cylinar shaped slug of aluminum.

Will i still be alble to winde the engine up? Or is a rc nitro car engine that is converted to diesel just lug like a hores. I dont race or anything. I just bash i guess. I thought a diesel would be great for the torque in my hpi mt-2 ss 4x4 stadium truck. I would like to to still be resonable quick just not slow like a tractor.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:54 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Keep in mind that one of the reasons that your car engine turns up so high is the shape of the cylinder head. When converting to a Diesel cylinder head, all of that goes out the window.

Does that mean it will be a John Deere Diesel powered tractor? No. Some of the ducted fan boys were running Davis Diesel Conversion heads a while back and were obtaining surprising results. Better than glow? No, but very close.

Davis conversions, which you seem to be aware of, do not utilize a contra piston as is utilized in most made for Diesel engines. There simply isn't enough room in the cylinder head bore to make this possible, unless extreme measures are taken to reduce the size of the contra piston.

A piston baffle is a cast or machined fence that runs across the top of the piston from the front to the back of the engine. Its purpose is to deflect the incoming fuel charge upward, into the cylinder head portion of the cylinder. Otherwise, the fresh fuel charge would just jet straight across the top of the piston and out the exhaust port. This methodology was used in the old cross flow porting designs and predates Schneurle and TST porting, although it is still used in some engines yet today.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Experimenting is half the fun, and you can always sell your Diesel conversion head for a good price once you are finished experimenting, assuming the engine it is made for is popular.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-10-2005, 07:16 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dar or Ed,

What is TST porting?

I remember after the baffle came flat-top pistons on Super Tigre and K&B engines, then others. Don't remember a special porting name for those, they just had extra ports. Then PDP (Perry Directional Porting) and Schnuerle (or Schneurle) came along. Schnuerle required a new crankcase design. What previously had been the bypass port (across from the exhaust) was now the boost port and the extra ports were now the main transfer ports. PDP could often be applied without crankcase modifications. Both produced excellent results.

One of the problems that all of these improvements over the baffle solved was that at high speeds the exhaust side of the baffle would run HOT. That area became known as "Hell's Kitchen".

George
Old 05-10-2005, 07:41 AM
DarZeelon

George,

TST is short-hand for Travasi Super-Tigre.

These are two upward-angled ports, opposite the exhaust port, which despite the flat-top piston and due to their angle, achieve what Schneurle ports do, in that the fresh charge does not go directly out the exhaust port.

They were introduced in old G20/15 engines, in the beginning 70s I believe.
But ST has since adopted the 'conventional' Schneurle porting + boost port, as most other engine manufacturers did.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:42 PM
David Owen

"TST is short-hand for Travasi Super-Tigre. "

Dar Zeelon,
Despite years of association with model aircraft engines of all types, including Super Tigre, I have never heard the term 'TST'. Nor have I ever seen it in print. We live and learn!

Nor do I recall the ST baffleless porting being taken up and used in any other common engines. Not surprising when you consider that, in the absence of a baffle or the opposing transfer ports of a Schneurle, much of the transfer charge went straight out the exhaust port.

The ST type porting to which you refer was never comparable to Schneurle porting in either layout or performance and was noted for high fuel consumption.
The only advantage of this form of porting was that it enabled the use of a baffleless piston with its attendant improvement in combustion chamber shape. This is where the performance increase was realised with the ST porting in comparison to a baffle piston layout.

ST were quick to add Perry-porting to their baffleless engines when its advantages were realised.

Were these engines referred to as "TST+PP"?

rgds
Dave Owen

Old 05-11-2005, 12:05 AM
DarZeelon

David,

I don't think there were any large ST engines with TST.

I had a G20/15 C/L engine, which would scream on a 7x4.

PDP, as far as I know, was only incorporated into baffled-piston engines; not into any baffle-less piston engines.
Its function was to introduce more cool, fresh mixture on the hot, exhaust side of the baffle, adding to power as a fringe benefit.

I also had an HB.40PDP, which made more power than its contemporary, Schneurle ported engines.

I believe Clarence Lee still makes PDP converted K&B baffled-piston engines.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:50 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon
George,

TST is short-hand for Travasi Super-Tigre.

These are two upward-angled ports, opposite the exhaust port, which despite the flat-top piston and due to their angle, achieve what Schneurle ports do, in that the fresh charge does not go directly out the exhaust port.

They were introduced in old G20/15 engines, in the beginning 70s I believe.
But ST has since adopted the 'conventional' Schneurle porting + boost port, as most other engine manufacturers did.
I bought my G20/15s (glow and diesel) new in 1960. The crankcases are marked 1960 and pistons are flat top ones. I think the same crankcase was used until 1970.

I remember the transfer ports being as you describe as opposed to the single bypass on the G20/15 with the removable crankshaft assembly. I never heard of the TST porting designation. Perhaps it was used only in Europe.

The first use of schnuerle porting that I remember is a .15 and (I think) a .29 used by Bill Wisniewski in his "WART" CL speed engines. These were later produced in a revised form by K&B. Later Bill blew the doors off of other competitors with his tuned pipe.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

George
Old 05-11-2005, 08:18 AM
DarZeelon

George,

The first commercially marketed Schneurle ported engines were supposedly made by Hirtenberger (HP).

...But this is all history.

The HB PDP would out-rev the HP/OS/Webra of 1980, 1981, with that 'strange' porting.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:24 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

IIRC, some World Engines Super Tigre ads mentioned TST porting for a while, here in US publications.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-12-2005, 11:41 AM
John K

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

I was wondering who or what companies make diesel conversion kits........
Josh
I'm a bit late with this reply, but as per DarZeelon can recommend AJC without reservation.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember at least three .60's with PDP porting.

HB .61, K&B .61 and Supertigre G.60 bluehead.

The Supertigre X-15 FI was available with TST porting and was marked TST on the left beam mount. Early X-15 engines had G.15 internals. The TST version had a fully-finned head while the first few X-15's had the smooth head with a few fins over the exhaust port, like the G.15.