Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

where to buy ether?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:20 PM
earlwb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: where to buy ether?

So far the meth cooks tend to use about every hazardous substance known in their zeal to make the stuff.
For example:
Gasoline additives
Rubbing Alcohol
Ether (starting fluid)
Benzene
Paint thinner
Freon
Acetone
Chloroform
Camp stove fuel
Anhydrous ammonia
White gasoline
Pheynl-2-Propane
Phenylacetone
Phenylpropanolamine
Rock, table or Epsom salt Red Phosphorous Toluene (found in brake cleaner)
Red Devil Lye
Drain cleaner
Muraitic acid
Battery acid
Lithium from batteries
Sodium metal
Ephedrine
Cold tablets
Diet aids
Iodine
Bronchodialators
Energy boosters
Iodine crystals

ref http://citizensagainstmeth.org/meth_ingredients.html

Old 11-22-2011, 10:16 PM
qazimoto

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: gkamysz

Ray, I think you're right. The wikipedia page says they found other readily available solvents. What is the price of ether in Australia?
Solvent grade Ether is $20/Litre from our supplier.

Ray
Old 11-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Lou Crane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SGC, to yours of the 22d...

The method I outlined seems to be effective in gassing off the dissolved butane as the spray is fed into the "catch jar." The sides of the glass jar ( I use Planters' Peanut glass jars of about 750cc volume (estimated, as the peanuts are sold by weight, not by fluid ounce or cc volumes)) chill and liquefy the di-ethyl, apparently, while the gases - with no liquid state at ambient temperatures - vent off through the hole for the straw. The problems of mixing fuel when the ether fraction still contains dissolved butane involve both comp and needle setting and tanking are:

Remaining butane affects the comp/needle adjustment you think you've set before launch. Vibration and time allow the dissolved gas to dissipate during the run time, so the engine runs on a varying blend of fuel. If you had it right before launch, it can only go "off" as the flight proceeds.

With a uniflow-type tank, there is only one vent line to the atmosphere outside the model. Vibration and time may shake loose dissolved gases, raising pressure inside the tank and ejecting fuel through the single vent. This disrupts the uniflo venting function, loses fuel AND accompanies the shift of fuel blend characteristics over the run-time.

Messy and frustrating...

Haven't had the problem with the straw-in-jar method. Empirical, but effective - for me at least.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Lou Crane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To John C post of the 22d...

A good idea to have the remainder of the batch in the "catch jar!"

I've been using a graduate marked in 1cc (ml) increments to blend diesel fuel. Sequence: oil - kerosene - captured ether - dab of AMSOIL DII. The sequence is so that the less volatile elements can be measured to about 1cc per liter accuracy, and the ether and "IPN" added just before "canning" in a metal can with screw-cap. Less exposure to incidental "gassing off" of the captured ether this way. A metal quart can accepts 1.0 liter of blended fuel with adequate air space for expansion, at least until the first tank or two are drawn out...

Sequence allows the "thicker" fractions first, then continuously more "solvent" fractions to assist mixing and co-dissolving the total.

I think it would be unnecessary effort to mark the catch jar uniformly at 1cc intervals. Simply putting on reference lines for a particular blend does hamper trying other blends. Examples: PAW recommends 25%-30% castor for break-in, and ultimately, 15% for 2BB engines after break-in.

A separate graduated beaker allows me to list the mark-points as I build the batch. For a hypothetical example: 25% oil - fill to 250ml; 45% kero - fill to 700ml; 2%DII - fill to 702ml. Fill to 1000ml with captured ether. This is of course a 28(ether)-25(castor)-45(kero)-2(DII) blend. The 1.00 liter beaker, graduated to 1ml, has been a great help in refining fuel blends to given purposes...
Old 11-23-2011, 02:05 AM
mike109

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

G'day

I recently bought some ether from a member of the Sydney old time team race fraternity for $15 a litre. I bought 4 litres in a nice dark glass bottle with a good seal. Four litres is just over 1 US Gallon (3.8 litres).

I gather that one member of the fraternity buys a 200 litre drum and has found a second hand source of these glass 4 litre bottles into which he puts it and it is then sold to other modelers who need it. It should keep my diesels singing for a year or so.

Mike in Oz

Search this Thread