Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: where to buy ether?

So far the meth cooks tend to use about every hazardous substance known in their zeal to make the stuff.
    For example:
    Gasoline additives
    Rubbing Alcohol
    Ether (starting fluid)
    Benzene
    Paint thinner
    Freon
    Acetone
    Chloroform
    Camp stove fuel
    Anhydrous ammonia
    White gasoline
    Pheynl-2-Propane
    Phenylacetone
    Phenylpropanolamine
    Rock, table or Epsom salt Red Phosphorous Toluene (found in brake cleaner)
    Red Devil Lye
    Drain cleaner
    Muraitic acid
    Battery acid
    Lithium from batteries
    Sodium metal
    Ephedrine
    Cold tablets
    Diet aids
    Iodine
    Bronchodialators
    Energy boosters
    Iodine crystals

ref http://citizensagainstmeth.org/meth_ingredients.html

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

Ray, I think you're right. The wikipedia page says they found other readily available solvents. What is the price of ether in Australia?
    Solvent grade Ether is $20/Litre from our supplier.

Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SGC, to yours of the 22d...

The method I outlined seems to be effective in gassing off the dissolved butane as the spray is fed into the "catch jar." The sides of the glass jar ( I use Planters' Peanut glass jars of about 750cc volume (estimated, as the peanuts are sold by weight, not by fluid ounce or cc volumes)) chill and liquefy the di-ethyl, apparently, while the gases - with no liquid state at ambient temperatures - vent off through the hole for the straw. The problems of mixing fuel when the ether fraction still contains dissolved butane involve both comp and needle setting and tanking are:

Remaining butane affects the comp/needle adjustment you think you've set before launch. Vibration and time allow the dissolved gas to dissipate during the run time, so the engine runs on a varying blend of fuel. If you had it right before launch, it can only go "off" as the flight proceeds.

With a uniflow-type tank, there is only one vent line to the atmosphere outside the model. Vibration and time may shake loose dissolved gases, raising pressure inside the tank and ejecting fuel through the single vent. This disrupts the uniflo venting function, loses fuel AND accompanies the shift of fuel blend characteristics over the run-time.

Messy and frustrating...

Haven't had the problem with the straw-in-jar method. Empirical, but effective - for me at least.

\\BEST\\LOU
    Lou Crane, Sierra Vista, AZ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To John C post of the 22d...

A good idea to have the remainder of the batch in the "catch jar!"

I've been using a graduate marked in 1cc (ml) increments to blend diesel fuel. Sequence: oil - kerosene - captured ether - dab of AMSOIL DII. The sequence is so that the less volatile elements can be measured to about 1cc per liter accuracy, and the ether and "IPN" added just before "canning" in a metal can with screw-cap. Less exposure to incidental "gassing off" of the captured ether this way. A metal quart can accepts 1.0 liter of blended fuel with adequate air space for expansion, at least until the first tank or two are drawn out...

Sequence allows the "thicker" fractions first, then continuously more "solvent" fractions to assist mixing and co-dissolving the total.

I think it would be unnecessary effort to mark the catch jar uniformly at 1cc intervals. Simply putting on reference lines for a particular blend does hamper trying other blends. Examples: PAW recommends 25%-30% castor for break-in, and ultimately, 15% for 2BB engines after break-in.

A separate graduated beaker allows me to list the mark-points as I build the batch. For a hypothetical example: 25% oil - fill to 250ml; 45% kero - fill to 700ml; 2%DII - fill to 702ml. Fill to 1000ml with captured ether. This is of course a 28(ether)-25(castor)-45(kero)-2(DII) blend. The 1.00 liter beaker, graduated to 1ml, has been a great help in refining fuel blends to given purposes...
    \\BEST\\LOU
    Lou Crane, Sierra Vista, AZ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G'day

I recently bought some ether from a member of the Sydney old time team race fraternity for $15 a litre. I bought 4 litres in a nice dark glass bottle with a good seal. Four litres is just over 1 US Gallon (3.8 litres).

I gather that one member of the fraternity buys a 200 litre drum and has found a second hand source of these glass 4 litre bottles into which he puts it and it is then sold to other modelers who need it. It should keep my diesels singing for a year or so.

Mike in Oz

\"I just had no control. Must be the radio.\" Club Saito #597 Kadet Brotherhood #66

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12