Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Diesel to glow?

Old 09-16-2006, 10:17 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Diesel to glow?

We all know of, and some of us use or have used conversions from glow to diesel. My question is, are there any conversions available for diesel to glow?

I have some engines that are available in both glow and diesel such as my MVVS .15's. In actuality, though some parts are common, many are not. For instance my MVVS diesel .15's are iron/steel, whereas the glow version is ABC. Plus, of course, the heads, contra, tommybar, glow plug, etc.

I have no plans to convert a diesel to glow, just wondering.

George
Old 09-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Ldalmas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Diesel to glow?

In the past there was a crase to convert diesels to glow i had a diesel engine converted to glow i do not remember what was it but i suppose that to convert an mvvs 15 all you need is a new head
laurence
Old 09-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Motorboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ldalmas

In the past there was a crase to convert diesels to glow i had a diesel engine converted to glow i do not remember what was it but i suppose that to convert an mvvs 15 all you need is a new head
laurence
Not head only.. I has MVVS 15 Diesel, to convert the engine need new sleeve/piston and head + glowplug.

Jens Eirik
Old 09-20-2006, 01:20 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

George,

Tom Anderson had me add throttles to some vintage Mills engines some years ago. One of the projects he had me do was to convert an Indian Mills to glow. I used a Cox head, turned down and a few mods to make it fit. All done before my digi-cam so I don't have pictures or a run but it actually ran very well. Starting was very easy due to the long stroke, I presume. And it throttled as glow, as well as it did as a diesel. In this case though, we used the two needle MP Jets throttle.

If I didn't have so much on the go already, I'd convert my PAW .06 to glow. I anticipate it'll make just as good a glow engine as it is a diesel.

but I wonder why MVVS went to iron steel for their diesel version when ABC does just fine. Cost?
Old 09-20-2006, 01:45 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MVVS has a contra in the sleeve like PAWs. To use the ABC sleeve they would have to put the contra in the head. Maybe they didn't like that idea? The MVVS .15D has been around for a long time, early sixties maybe, I'm not sure.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:13 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand what you mean about the head. I have a CS replica Elfin 1.49 that does not run because it is ABC with a brass contra. The engine starts but when heat expands the cylinder, it loses its compression seal and quits. I could probably cut a groove in the contra nad install an "O" ring but so far I have not. Bummer.

I can imagine a converted Mills 75 would run well...probably like the Spitfire or Spitzy .045 glow from around 1950. Have no idea about the throttle except I believe an RC version is available for the replica diesel.

George
Old 09-21-2006, 09:34 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

I've turned an AAC Enya 11CX by doing just that. The contra intrudes into the cylinder top with an O-ring for a perfect seal. Works great. See below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15809.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	528133