Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

diesel and tune pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Ldalmas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel and tune pipes

Today i did the runing in of my new irvine 40d and tryed on a mvvs mini pipe to my surprise performance deteriorated i could not set it and it did not get any power inpovement what so ever how hard i tryed.
laurence
Old 03-31-2007, 06:32 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: diesel and tune pipes

mine does better on a regular MVVS muffler at least 500-better than stock irvine got it from Dar its the short one do not know model number martin
Old 03-31-2007, 09:17 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: diesel and tune pipes

Your result is not really surprising-diesels and tuned pipes are not normally a workable combination-except in the 'stunt' type use where the pipe is holding the revs down to a certain band. The conventional 'tuned pipe' as used in speed does not work very well if at all-for several reasons-one of which is theexhaust timing which needs to be up around 170 degrees compared with 150-155 degrees for a std engine. Secondly if the revs jump the needle has to be readjusted significantly to 'keep it on the pipe' and thirdly-if the revs do jump-then your compression setting will be way off optimum! it may be possible to get a diesel running with a pipe on the bench-with a lot of fiddling-I doubt whether it would be possible to do so in a model without having the ability to adjust both needle and compression in flight.
Otherwise you simply have a device that is a flash looking silencer............

'ffkiwi'