Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Conversation with Bob Davis

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:54 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Conversation with Bob Davis

Talked to Bob over the last two days and asked what is going on with with his own diesel idea
these are a few of his thoughts

1. 40 size case but engine would be in 46 to 49 disp, (not set in stone)

2. Timing change lower exhaust port to take full advantage of the power stroke get all the power before it exhausts , will also be quieter
3 A button head set up would come with glow and diesel button ( not new fox does this)
4 smaller diameter carb venturi so it runs right at full throttle not having to worry about a 75 or 80% open
5 this really puts it in the 4 strk glow class 9000 to 10500 RPM (52-56 from my experience my opinion) as far as power goes 12" prop , not not a speed competion engine but right for sport and fun flying which most of us do
(This my thought not Bobs
sort a reborn larger irvine 40, Q40,)
6 The diesel head conversions for engines work very well well proven over 32 years, but this would be purpose built and run fine as glow too (most likely break in as such)
7 Price try and get this on the street for $200 or a bit less, remember the irvine 40 diesel was about $169 over 10 years ago if you got lucky could pick one uo for maybe $150
8 If you buy a quality glow engine you are in to around $150 (OS then spend $ 50 or so on a head really comes to the same thing maybe a liittle less and designed as a diesel

9 Again my thought, Bob is a quality fanatic and it will have to be 100% right 100% of the time

6. and last but not least he is is talking to the leaders in biodiesel ( again my thought a bio kerosene??)

t Also the head conversion line is expanding , He has spent a bunch on tooling recently.

So now its wait and see martin

This would give us a great choice in diesels as such PAWs in the small stuff for the competion 15 class (thinks that right)
the oher issue is the complete lack of small engines that can be converted cox. norvel. etc which would be slam dunks for conversion for the well built ARFS now designed for electric power well the OS 10, TT 10, are still there
Old 04-30-2007, 08:51 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Conversation with Bob Davis

Chirp... Chirp...
Old 04-30-2007, 11:33 AM
gkamysz

Again another post that is related to an [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4703994/tm.htm]existing thread[/link] about vaporware. Starting new threads makes it look like there is life in diesels.

Since my cricket noise post about the non-interest the post brought was deleted, I'll make a real comment.

It might turn props like a four stroke but it will still waste fuel like a two stroke. The price is high though not much higher than a PAW 40BBRC. Which brings up the question, what will it do better than the PAW?

If the biodiesel people could make a replacement for kerosene it would certainly be developed. I'm sure work is being done. And now that DDD is involved, things will move right along. Current biodiesel is not very similar to diesel or kerosene at all.

Why is it that Bob doesn't promote his products himself?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I hope Bob goes through with this, as I said I'll buy the first one if larger than a .40. I see the Bio Diesel thing as a waste of time since the kero based fuel works so well. The current automotive Bio Diesel fuels are a total rip off since only 10% of it is Bio, accomplishing nothing.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:48 PM
gkamysz

Carpentersville, IL 60110
ORIGINAL: Hobbsy
The current automotive Bio Diesel fuels are a total rip off since only 10% of it is Bio, accomplishing nothing.
That's not true, it still removes 10% of the dependency and carbon emissions of petrodiesel. Most engine manufacturers will warranty engines used with such fuel. Most will not warranty B100.

Slowly as people wake up biodiesel will become popular and you will see B100 at pumps everywhere.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Ldalmas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hear in malta we can mix our on bio diesel mix for cars there is a pump with 100% bio and one with normal at the staions and every one mix his own my old bmc 1.5 can handel direct bio
laurence
Old 04-30-2007, 07:01 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: gkamysz
Since my cricket noise post about the non-interest the post brought was deleted, I'll make a real comment.

The post was deleted because it didn't contribute anything to the thread. There does appear to be interest here since members are commenting, including yourself. Bob may not be promoting his product because he may be following the RCU rules on advertising.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:10 PM
AMB

Ok all , the reason I posted this was just to show what may be in the works, I am not on Bobs payroll any more than Burfords posts and availability of his little diesel which were posted here not by me, I just thought it was interesting whats going on, The biofuel thing is only in the exploration phase it may never occur but at least being explored, There is a need for a 40 size or so out of the box diesel designed as such. I know for a fact (this was stated before) that Bob wanted Irvine to keep the 40 diesel in its line. But they did not, most likely this was during the planning stage of their deal with OS since they were shutting down UK production. The basic fact that Davis is considering this with the electric onslaught is pretty gutsy considering the small percentage of diesel users; and yes 1 will be on the list to buy one. There really is no other place except this forum of whats going on with diesels
MVVS pulled out looks like they are in the brushless electic thing now too. Electric motors are a lot less money to make than IC engines and almost nil on machining casting etc.

Davis really likes OS and STs for conversions since day one. If they had a production diesel out there do not think it would have been given much thought martin
Old 04-30-2007, 09:03 PM
AMB

This just occured to me for over 30 years Bob Davis has always made heads for the "other guys" It just may be he would like the "whole " thing with his name on it
whats wrong with that?? martin