Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Diesel .50s (mostly)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:29 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Some things of note in there, but it still doesn't answer my question. What makes the Fox .50 such a great diesel conversion when power is similar between both fuels on a big prop? I understand the principle of diesel, and I'm all for it... I'm just unimpressed with the difference in power between the diesel and glow setups. If the diesel runs 1,000rpm faster than it did on glow on the same big prop, that's one thing... Expecting a 400rpm difference or so - doesn't really make it worth the money spent on fuel and converting the engine?

To be clear - I'm not nitpicking. I'm just trying to understand what is so great about the engine..? I will say that I'm glad it still runs and I haven't wrecked it yet...
I'm a conversion sceptic. I'm proposing that the difference in performance between diesel and glow is probably mostly just wishful thinking. Comparing like with almost (but not quite) like. It's very difficult to even get people to discuss the evidence.

A classic example of the avoidance of cognitive dissonance?

I know the with the new Fora and Parra .15 diesels/glow the difference on the same engine, with the same venturi hole size, prop, mounting stand, etc, and just changing heads, is negligible. This is with the diesel running 20/30/50 +dii, and the glow standard 10% nitro fuel. On 5% nitro glow the engine might be a few hundred rpm under the diesel.

I'd bet that your +400 rpm gain would dwindle away if you optimised the compression on the glow head. or used a tighter fitting head.

Certainly using a bottom sealing glow plug setup would give a much greater gain on the latter.

Last edited by qazimoto; 09-20-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:10 AM
gerryndennis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Quick,

You had that engine singing a fine song in that last video. I presume you dropped the liner to get the compression up?

I don't know how much effect the timing change would make but I suspect, like you, it won't hurt too much at the lower rpm range. You're not looking for max power anyway are you?

I run my Diesel conversions purely for the pleasure of getting them to run and throttle well, and to be different. I'm not too worried about the cost of the fuel or the power I'm getting.

Having said that I'm getting a useful power increase. My 40 FSR gained 500 rpm on a 10X6 but that's the only prop I've tried so far. My 20 FP gained around 1000 rpm on all the props I tried between 10X4 and 10X6, a little less on an 8X6 and 9X4. The best prop on Diesel is bigger than the best prop on Glow, but that doesn't mean Diesel is better over all, depends on the model I suppose. Mind you my glow figures are with 0% nitro, so there is more power to be found there.

Have you tried your engine with the throttle fully open? It may be that it will work OK.

I have found that my engines won't throttle up to quite the same rpm initially after a long period at idle. This is because the engine has cooled down a bit and is therefore retarded slightly. It might take a second or two to regain max rpm. I find if I tune the idle on the rich side the rpm comes back quicker, also if I tune rich or slightly higher compression on the high side there is less lag.

Have you noticed that you can increase the compression past the point where the burping just stops? It's the equivalent of leaning a glow past where the 4 stroking breaks into 2 stroking. More power but the same problem if you go too far.

Dave H
Old 09-20-2015, 02:03 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qazimoto
I'm a conversion sceptic. I'm proposing that the difference in performance between diesel and glow is probably mostly just wishful thinking. Comparing like with almost (but not quite) like. It's very difficult to even get people to discuss the evidence.
I know from personal experience that there can be a large difference between Diesel and glow, and I'm willing to discuss evidence...

One important thing to remember, is that one cannot expect certain gain from every single engine. The conversions where you will see the largest gain is from engines that are a bit anaemic/timid as glow engines. These are typically limited, as glow engines, due to restrictive timing, restricted port areas, and small carbs etc. When converted to diesel and using lower revs these things are no longer limiting and then they now perform as they ought to do with respect to their cylinder volume.

Here are two examples where I have personal experience; Cox PeeWee and the Queen Bee. In particular the Queen Bee went from something fairly useless on glow to something that is well acceptable on Diesel. On glow this engine would only take a 6x3 prop (it would overheat on a 6x4) and spin it at around 17000rpm (corresponding to about 75W, and typical .049 engine power).
On Diesel fuel this engine can spin an 8x4 at 10500rpm (75W) or a 7x4 at around 13800rpm (95W), so the torque is much higher than on glow and it now provides a far more useful engine in practice.

On the other end of the scale, taking a great and well optimised glow engine (like the Parra) and converting it diesel, you will see much less difference in terms of power. But there should still be a difference in fuel consumption and the ability to handle large props (both are in favour of Diesel).

Last edited by Mr Cox; 09-20-2015 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:38 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Cox
I know from personal experience that there can be a large difference between Diesel and glow, and I'm willing to discuss evidence...

One important thing to remember, is that one cannot expect certain gain from every single engine. The conversions where you will see the largest gain is from engines that are a bit anaemic/timid as glow engines. These are typically limited, as glow engines, due to restrictive timing, restricted port areas, and small carbs etc. When converted to diesel and using lower revs these things are no longer limiting and then they now perform as they ought to do with respect to their cylinder volume.

Here are two examples where I have personal experience; Cox PeeWee and the Queen Bee. In particular the Queen Bee went from something fairly useless on glow to something that is well acceptable on Diesel. On glow this engine would only take a 6x3 prop (it would overheat on a 6x4) and spin it at around 17000rpm (corresponding to about 75W, and typical .049 engine power).
On Diesel fuel this engine can spin an 8x4 at 10500rpm (75W) or a 7x4 at around 13800rpm (95W), so the torque is much higher than on glow and it now provides a far more useful engine in practice.

On the other end of the scale, taking a great and well optimised glow engine (like the Parra) and converting it diesel, you will see much less difference in terms of power. But there should still be a difference in fuel consumption and the ability to handle large props (both are in favour of Diesel).
.The Parra and Fora Junior .15 engines are diesels that are also available with glow heads. . They have diesel fits. The manufacturers don't recommend that they be run slowly. Fuel economy is a different issue. No one argues that diesel fuel isn't more dense in potential power.

Both will usefully perform on the bench in the twin modes with up to a 3/16" venturi hole. The glow versions will probably produce much more power on crankcase pressure with a bigger hole and/or more nitro. The diesel mode will probably become difficult to tune on crankcase pressure and a larger hole.

Diesel mode then always has the potential for better economy/power, glow for more ultimate power. However by playing with the ingredients of the glow fuel significant improvements in economy with the same performance is possible. Some of these are Ethanol and Iso Propyl Alcohol.

The Cox Pee Wee's I've owned have been excellent glow engines. I don't think that restrictive porting has been it's problem, In fact most of us gave up using it as a sports free flight engine because even though it only displaced .32cc it had too much performance for the .5cc "small field" diesel models we put them in. Their life as a diesel is usually severely limited because of mechanical problems. I haven't tried it but reducing the compression ratio and exhaust duration on glow may temporarily improve performance on larger props. At least until the crankpin breaks.

Don't know about the Queen Bee, but if fitting a new head transforms your engines into the "excellent" grade then surely that's where the original problem occurred?

My claim is that like for like there's no real difference. Simply whacking on a diesel head on a glow engine isn't going to make an observably significant difference.

Last edited by qazimoto; 09-20-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:45 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by gerryndennis
Hey Quick,

You had that engine singing a fine song in that last video. I presume you dropped the liner to get the compression up?
No I didn't actually, I figured I would run it as it is (with the liner in its original factory location) to get it tuned to the sweet spot and see where the contra is. If it ended up needing to have the compression screw buried to run right, I would drop the liner .005" and re-tune it. So far when I finished last night, the compression screw was nearly one full turn out from bottomed out. So I think I will leave it as-is. I don't want to disrupt the ring/liner fit any more than needed. I've already had to have it apart far more than I wanted to. I have the factory Fox ring still installed and have another Fox ring (used) and a Frank Bowman ring (slightly used but not worn in yet) that I can swap in if needed, but the compression is pretty good as it is so I'll leave it.

I don't know how much effect the timing change would make but I suspect, like you, it won't hurt too much at the lower rpm range. You're not looking for max power anyway are you?
No, This engine is merely a learning tool for now. If it proves to be reliable and throttles nicely, I'll maybe explore changing the timing to suit a larger prop yet as an experiment. I don't have a plane that this engine will fly in glow or diesel form, so I would likely find a different use for it - perhaps on an airboat I plan to build over the winter.

I run my Diesel conversions purely for the pleasure of getting them to run and throttle well, and to be different. I'm not too worried about the cost of the fuel or the power I'm getting.

Having said that I'm getting a useful power increase. My 40 FSR gained 500 rpm on a 10X6 but that's the only prop I've tried so far. My 20 FP gained around 1000 rpm on all the props I tried between 10X4 and 10X6, a little less on an 8X6 and 9X4. The best prop on Diesel is bigger than the best prop on Glow, but that doesn't mean Diesel is better over all, depends on the model I suppose. Mind you my glow figures are with 0% nitro, so there is more power to be found there.

Have you tried your engine with the throttle fully open? It may be that it will work OK.
No I haven't. I did open the throttle fully, but by accident. When I did, I didnt note any difference in rpm from 85% open to 100% open. I will try it the next time I run it because I will have my tacho handy to see if there is a significant difference in power - I doubt there will be. The engine guzzles 2oz of fuel pretty darn quickly even at 85% throttle opening, so if the power gain at 100% is minimal and fuel consumption is higher, Ill stick with the 85% opening or thereabouts.

I have found that my engines won't throttle up to quite the same rpm initially after a long period at idle. This is because the engine has cooled down a bit and is therefore retarded slightly. It might take a second or two to regain max rpm. I find if I tune the idle on the rich side the rpm comes back quicker, also if I tune rich or slightly higher compression on the high side there is less lag.
I'll keep that in mind. I know diesels lose heat at idle and wont throttle up as quickly after an extended idling period, and I know I wont get a glow engine transition from the diesel. I just dont want it to flame out. It sounded like it was going to after I got the high end tuned sweetly and tried adjusting the idle mixture. It idled smooth as butter and super low, but throttling up was a little worrisome. The fact it didnt miss or burp tells me its probably pretty close. It took me quite awhile to get the carb settings in a good spot to get the engine to start in the first place since I changed carbs. The carb on it now has a full spraybar that goes across the whole choke which reduces choke area some. The other carb didnt have a full spraybar so had a larger choke area (even though both carbs have a .330" choke diameter) which would likely have needed less throttle opening to full power. I will mess around with it a little more when my son is taking a nap today and see if I can get her dialed in perfect.

Have you noticed that you can increase the compression past the point where the burping just stops? It's the equivalent of leaning a glow past where the 4 stroking breaks into 2 stroking. More power but the same problem if you go too far.

Dave H
Yeah, I found it would go 1/4 turn or so before it started sounding overcompressed, but the rpm didnt increase much. I didnt put a tach on it so I didnt note how much the rpm changed. I didnt concern myself with using the tacho much until I got the tuning part figured out. Since I'm more comfortable with it now, I'll have the tach handy as well as a couple other big props and see what this old girl can do.

I found it concerning that the instructions on Davis Diesels website says to not hand start a diesel, but to use a starter...
http://news.davisdieseldevelopment.c...ines-fuel.html

Thanks for all of your help Dave H. I learned something new and so far its still working.... So I'm a happy camper.

Tim
Old 09-20-2015, 05:21 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by qazimoto

A classic example of the avoidance of cognitive dissonance?

I know the with the new Fora and Parra .15 diesels/glow the difference on the same engine, with the same venturi hole size, prop, mounting stand, etc, and just changing heads, is negligible. This is with the diesel running 20/30/50 +dii, and the glow standard 10% nitro fuel. On 5% nitro glow the engine might be a few hundred rpm under the diesel.

I'd bet that your +400 rpm gain would dwindle away if you optimised the compression on the glow head. or used a tighter fitting head.

Certainly using a bottom sealing glow plug setup would give a much greater gain on the latter.
I am new to diesels and this conversion is a cheap learning tool to get my feet wet. I asked the question why the diesel is so much better compared to the glow version because I didnt see it as all that economical when the power output is so close between the two, however when one takes into account the glow engine thats designed for smaller props will likely overheat or run hot as factory setup, the diesel is more logical. I have a custom head button I made for another engine that fits this one and it performed very well on glow fuel using this head. The factory head button was originally made for low nitro usage (FAI, really) but was modified for higher nitro usage. The problem with this head is its got about .045" head spacing. Great for lots of nitro usage, but thats not what I like to use. Most of my engines are designed for 10% or less, most cases 5% is all I use. The custom button we made has a .025" head spacing and a different combustion chamber shape that will perform better with less nitro in the fuel. If I still had the ability to make new heads, I could tailor the engine as well as the fuel used to make the engine perform as well as it does on diesel, but I dont have that ability anymore as my friend that helped me before moved across the country. For me, a conversion engine is a cheap way to get a feel for diesel operation and learn how they operate so when I do delve into purpose built diesels, I know more of what I'm getting into. I can see where a fella with extensive experience with purpose built diesels would be skeptical of a conversion engine, but as Mr. Cox said, the higher energy fuel coupled with the tunability of the compression adjustment could make an otherwise "dud" of an engine into a more useful engine. Maybe not stellar, and maybe not as good as a purpose built engine, but its a usable engine that otherwise would sit in a drawer. For me, this engine was bought to be converted to diesel and as I said is a cheap example to learn from. If I wreck it, I'm out some money, but I'll come away from it having learned something. Will it find use in life? Maybe.. For now, its a good reason to stink the yard up.. (LoL)
Old 09-20-2015, 12:44 PM
gerryndennis

The 1/4 turn or so more compression you can get might not give you much more rpm but it might make the transition better, and might be required when you fly (float?) the engine to allow for the rpm rise when moving.

I'm slightly confused about your compression setting now. You said that the comp screw had bottomed out and you needed to lower the liner, but now you have the screw backed out about a turn? Has the ring seal improved, or maybe you are tuned at a richer setting? I might have missed something there.

Yes the use of the 'electric finger' is a bit controversial amongst traditional Dieselists but, to be fair, Davis is aiming the instructions at someone who may have no experience with Diesels. He gives an initial setting for compression and needle, which with no priming should avoid hydraulic lock. This avoids the situation where a modeller with a poor flick will fiddle with the settings rather than continue flicking and therefore never get a start. Once the compression setting is established, priming, a careful check for hydraulic lock, then a quick bump with the starter will give an instant start every time. It might not be such a good technique on a vintage Diesel though. They are mostly plain bearing engines and not many of them have a thrust washer behind the prop driver to stop it wearing on the case when pushed back by the starter. Some engines will even have the crank pin or con rod rub on the back plate if you push the shaft back, so even if you avoid bending the rod with a hydraulic lock the engine still wears badly with electric starting. No problem with a modern plain or ball bearing converted engine though.

The only time a Diesel will bite (usually) is if the compression is set higher than the starting setting, and even then a really fast flick will over come this. Look for some videos of Team Race pit stops and restarts to see the experts at work.

I don't understand your use of the term 'stink up' with reference to the beautiful and refined Diesel aroma? Is it sort of like how an Aussie will call a red headed person 'Blue'?

Great to see you making such good progress,

Dave H
Old 09-20-2015, 02:53 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

The 1/4 turn or so more compression you can get might not give you much more rpm but it might make the transition better, and might be required when you fly (float?) the engine to allow for the rpm rise when moving.
Ill look into this when I run it next...

I'm slightly confused about your compression setting now. You said that the comp screw had bottomed out and you needed to lower the liner, but now you have the screw backed out about a turn? Has the ring seal improved, or maybe you are tuned at a richer setting? I might have missed something there.
Because of the large head spacing, I worried about needing to max out the compression screw to get a good run setting. Turns out I can get a good run setting without having to max out the compression screw. If I ran low ether fuel then I might be concerned, but as of now it's okay.
Yes the use of the 'electric finger' is a bit controversial amongst traditional Dieselists but, to be fair, Davis is aiming the instructions at someone who may have no experience with Diesels. He gives an initial setting for compression and needle, which with no priming should avoid hydraulic lock. This avoids the situation where a modeller with a poor flick will fiddle with the settings rather than continue flicking and therefore never get a start. Once the compression setting is established, priming, a careful check for hydraulic lock, then a quick bump with the starter will give an instant start every time. It might not be such a good technique on a vintage Diesel though. They are mostly plain bearing engines and not many of them have a thrust washer behind the prop driver to stop it wearing on the case when pushed back by the starter. Some engines will even have the crank pin or con rod rub on the back plate if you push the shaft back, so even if you avoid bending the rod with a hydraulic lock the engine still wears badly with electric starting. No problem with a modern plain or ball bearing converted engine though.

The only time a Diesel will bite (usually) is if the compression is set higher than the starting setting, and even then a really fast flick will over come this. Look for some videos of Team Race pit stops and restarts to see the experts at work.

I don't understand your use of the term 'stink up' with reference to the beautiful and refined Diesel aroma? Is it sort of like how an Aussie will call a red headed person 'Blue'?

Great to see you making such good progress,

Dave H
My wife was outside when I was running it but didn't complain. It's a much more pungent aroma than glow exhaust and some may interpret it as a stink. I don't mind it much.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 09-20-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:29 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

It is a personal thing.

I find the smell of glow engine exhaust burning synthetic oil and nitro methane much more acrid than the (to my nose) sweeter smell of diesel exhaust. I also get an unpleasant allergic reaction if I spill raw glow fuel on my skin. Methanol is a particularly nasty poison and is readily absorbed through the skin.

Granted, diesel clean up rags do tend to hold the odour. Female olfactory senses in particular often find it most disagreeable.

To get around the clean-up issue, I use shop rag which comes in tear-off rolls. It is economically priced and it works brilliantly. I dump used rags in the bin at the field, and don't take dirty towels or cotton rags home any more. Makes for an easy life and a clean smelling car/model storage area.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:43 PM
AMB

Fiery Have to agree 110% on that one standing by a running glow engine on a stand or behind on the field irritated my nose and eyes--no issue with diesel regards to all martin

OH OH post note on the" Diesel is dead posts", spoke with Bob Davis yesterday and Tower ( USA company) is now stocking the Davis half A fuel and yes Davis head
conversions for the Cox

Last edited by AMB; 09-20-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:46 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

My glow fuel contains only the finest ingredients - nitromethane, castor oil, and methanol. It doesn't burn your nose like the synthetic oil usually does. It smells rather sweet to me.

The paper towel idea is a good one. I may consider going that route for cleanup as I usually use old t-shirts cut up for rags.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:10 PM
gerryndennis

I recall some good advise from one of the old British magazines (was it Roland Graunchet?). Apparently you should spend a lot of time standing behind the model with the exhaust blowing over your shirt or trouser legs. All clean up should be done with your handkerchief which is then stuffed in your trouser pocket. Given time, the 'female olfactory problem' resolves itself about the same time as your earache stops.

You 'don't mind it much'? That's great, you're nearly there, you won't be a 'proper' Dieselist until you love it though.

Dave H
Old 09-21-2015, 04:07 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I recall some good advise from one of the old British magazines (was it Roland Graunchet?). Apparently you should spend a lot of time standing behind the model with the exhaust blowing over your shirt or trouser legs. All clean up should be done with your handkerchief which is then stuffed in your trouser pocket. Given time, the 'female olfactory problem' resolves itself about the same time as your earache stops.

You 'don't mind it much'? That's great, you're nearly there, you won't be a 'proper' Dieselist until you love it though.

Dave H
Haha. Yeah, I bet. Like I said before, the smell brings me back to the days watching planes take off and land at the big airport with my Dad. I suppose a 'proper' dieselist runs purpose built diesels too...
Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 PM
gerryndennis

You could be right.

I've got a couple of 'proper' Diesels myself, but I'm more interested in using the conversions in sports aerobatic planes.

I used to watch planes with my Dad too.

Last edited by gerryndennis; 09-21-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:02 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

You could be right.

I've got a couple of 'proper' Diesels myself, but I'm more interested in using the conversions in sports aerobatic planes.

I used to watch planes with my Dad too.
I was never much of an aviation fan though... Like I never intended to fly rc aircraft. I never wanted to get into boats either, but a couple of unrun aircraft engines changed that. The airboat fad started. Then my buddy talked me into planes, then diesels, etc. My buddy is building a twin cylinder .22ci diesel from plans. Originally was supposed to be a .11ci radial ported diesel, but he screwed the crankcases up from not having his lathe shimmed properly (squared up dead true). He was gonna build 3 identical engines. Plan B is the two cylinder. Looking forward to seeing it built and running.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:44 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I just ran the Irvine .40 Diesel. Compression is 1.5 turns out from max, 9,000 was doable but mighty rattley.

Irvine .40 D
Prop==Bolly 12.5x6
Fuel==Davis ABC blend
Exhaust==MVVS .40/.49 Quiet muffler, (3245)
Max rpm=8,800, pictured
Idle==super smooth 2,000
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Irvine .40-D running.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2121786  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 09-22-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:58 AM
Hobbsy

I had to correct the prop size, when removing the prop I found it to be a 12.5x6.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:36 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I ran my Fox conversion again today. I'm getting more comfortable with making the adjustments and getting it running nice. To get absolute peak power (9,300rpm on a 12x7 APC) it wanted to be set on the edge of overcompressed. A little less than 1/4 turn from missing and burping to being just a tad rattly. The oil color was dark brown at this point. Backing the needle off and lowering compression slightly gave a top rpm of about 9,000rpm and oil color closer to a medium maple syrup color. Throttling was improved with a slightly richer idle mixture and a higher compression setting, though it seemed a little inconsistent when throttling back up from a short 5-10sec idle. Increasing the compression slightly helped but wasn't perfect. I suspect this is how this engine runs. The compression screw likes to back out from vibration, so backing it off 1/4 turn and bringing it back to the original setting helps keep it in one spot. I haven't been using the locking grub screw yet as I've had to make several adjustments while getting a feel for the engine. I'm not sure I've gotten it quite lean enough to get absolute max power from it yet, so more fiddling may get me closer to the numbers FDF has posted in the past. I am not trying to achieve what he has, but just to get a feel for where the maximum lean setting really is and getting the compression just right.

So... Max power I got was 9,300rpm on a 12x7 APC; compression screw about 1 turn out from seated. Best idle I got was 1,700rpm which gave a satisfactory throttle transition. Video here: http://youtu.be/jdYAIj3nqJ8 I was a little undercompressed still, but the engine ran smooth on top. Throttle was tested full open and also about 80% and max rpm was the same. So I'll stick with the 80% throttle or thereabouts for my maximum. It will not start cold at the previous run setting. Two flips with carb plugged with fuel at the carb and 1/4 higher compression from previous run setting gets it running with 2-3 flips at a fast idle. After refueling the warm engine, getting fuel just to the carburetor gives a 1 or 2 flip restart at a fast idle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	2121823   Click image for larger version

Views:	28
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2121824   Click image for larger version

Views:	30
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2121825  

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 09-22-2015 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 09-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Hobbsy

Nice work, what kinda erl is that, it sure is thick.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:52 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by FormerDairyFarmer
Nice work, what kinda erl is that, it sure is thick.
I edited my last post adding some info to the bottom of the post.

That at is good old castor oil. I used 20% oil content in my fuel. I used the higher oil (20%) since I had the engine apart a couple times so I figured a little extra lube wouldn't hurt while the ring settled back into the liner. Compression is pretty good as of now. It never felt this nice with the old P/L/ring. So it seems to be sturdy enough.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:43 AM
gerryndennis

That looks pretty good to me mate, you'd have to be reasonably happy with that wouldn't you? Well done.

It would be interesting to see how that engine runs on some different props maybe 11X6 and 12X6. You could even use one of the Thrust/Horsepower graphs to work out a bit of a power curve. Why not put the glow head back on and do a curve for that as well? Lots of work for you but interesting for us. You could put it down to developing your Diesel skills further (as if you haven't got it pretty well sussed now).

You can obviousely hear what your engine is saying to you so I'm sure you'll pick up the exhaust crackle when you get close to maximum lean. It's more obvious on some engines than others though. Running Diesels lean is normally perfectly safe (they just die if you go too lean) but this is where they are running the hottest and it is possible for some engines to start to overheat. This will start advancing the engine and can lead to more heat and sounding hard and slowing down over advanced. Generally called 'going hard' or 'going over (compressed)' even though the over advanced situation is due to heat not compression. I've already mentioned this so I know you know to ignore your glow training and either close the throttle or back off compression instead of richening the needle if this happens.

That grub screw is meant to adjust the tension on the comp screw rather than lock it. There should be a nylon? Insert under the grub screw that rubs on the comp screw. The idea is you have it tight enough to stop the comp from moving by itself, but loose enough that you can easily adjust the comp.

Well done Quick,

Dave H
Old 09-23-2015, 04:45 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

That looks pretty good to me mate, you'd have to be reasonably happy with that wouldn't you? Well done.

It would be interesting to see how that engine runs on some different props maybe 11X6 and 12X6. You could even use one of the Thrust/Horsepower graphs to work out a bit of a power curve. Why not put the glow head back on and do a curve for that as well? Lots of work for you but interesting for us. You could put it down to developing your Diesel skills further (as if you haven't got it pretty well sussed now).
Im pretty happy with it so far. I think it's down on power though - I think I've been close to peak power but more time running it will tell. I hadn't changed props yet because I wanted to be able to find peak power on the initial test prop.

You can obviousely hear what your engine is saying to you so I'm sure you'll pick up the exhaust crackle when you get close to maximum lean. It's more obvious on some engines than others though. Running Diesels lean is normally perfectly safe (they just die if you go too lean) but this is where they are running the hottest and it is possible for some engines to start to overheat. This will start advancing the engine and can lead to more heat and sounding hard and slowing down over advanced. Generally called 'going hard' or 'going over (compressed)' even though the over advanced situation is due to heat not compression. I've already mentioned this so I know you know to ignore your glow training and either close the throttle or back off compression instead of richening the needle if this happens.
Hearing the exhaust crackle may be difficult on this muffler because it suppresses noise so well. I may have to switch back to the MVVS or Fox muffler to have a louder exhaust note to hear it as those latter mufflers aren't baffled. I suspect I may have been at peak power already (or darn close) because the oil color got darker and it wasn't overcompressed (not rattly). I haven't had a lot of time to really spend running it to do a whole lot with it in any one sitting.

That grub screw is meant to adjust the tension on the comp screw rather than lock it. There should be a nylon? Insert under the grub screw that rubs on the comp screw. The idea is you have it tight enough to stop the comp from moving by itself, but loose enough that you can easily adjust the comp.

Well done Quick,

Dave H
My diesel head doesn't have anything to cushion against the compression screw - just the grub screw. I can probably find something to put in there so the grub screw isn't rubbing directly on the screw. The only time the screw would back off is if I was just advancing compression; if I backed it off 1/4 turn and re-advanced the 1/4 turn, then it would stay put. I'll find a piece of nylon or see if I have a chunk of delrin and make a small plug. The grub screw is pretty darn tiny - a toothpick chunk might even work.

Burned a half quart of fuel so far, gonna need more ether soon. I'm gonna cobble together another engine to experiment with that I have a diesel head that fits. That engine may self destruct though.. I'll see.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 09-23-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:17 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

'My diesel head doesn't have anything to cushion against the compression screw ...'

I use a 1/16" snippet of lawn trimmer cord of a suitable diameter for a 'plug' in my Irvine diesels. I prefer the smooth surface variety, some trimmer cord is 'ribbed'. It works very well. The most difficult thing is cutting it - it is tough.

My understanding is that Davis Diesel Heads are supplied with 'buffer' between the grub screw and compression screw to maintain tension and prevent compression screw 'thread chewing'. Perhaps yours was missing.

Last edited by fiery; 09-23-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:01 PM
AMB

Great solution Fiery I used brass welding rod your idea much more easy martin
Old 09-23-2015, 06:08 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by fiery
'My diesel head doesn't have anything to cushion against the compression screw ...'

I use a 1/16" snippet of lawn trimmer cord of a suitable diameter for a 'plug' in my Irvine diesels. I prefer the smooth surface variety, some trimmer cord is 'ribbed'. It works very well. The most difficult thing is cutting it - it is tough.

My understanding is that Davis Diesel Heads are supplied with 'buffer' between the grub screw and compression screw to maintain tension and prevent compression screw 'thread chewing'. Perhaps yours was missing.
Good solution. I got my Davis head second hand and perhaps it didn't come with one or it had one and fell out. I'll try the trimmer cord idea...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.