Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

New to Diesels

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 02:53 PM
bmnewland
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Diesels

Going to give diesels a shot. Looking to buy a new PAW 0.09 RC engine and a suitable plane. Maybe build one of the plans on Doctor Diesels website. For the fuel, looks like we have K1 Kerosene at the gas station, Amazon has John Deere starting fluid, and castor oil from Sig Models.

Last edited by bmnewland; 11-06-2021 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Changed thread content.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:34 AM
Stuntguy13

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bmnewland
Going to give diesels a shot. Looking to buy a new PAW 0.09 RC engine and a suitable plane. Maybe build one of the plans on Doctor Diesels website. For the fuel, looks like we have K1 Kerosene at the gas station, Amazon has John Deere starting fluid, and castor oil from Sig Models.
New guy, the PAW's are solid engines that will serve you well. Go to there website they have videos on setting up there engines. If you buy one new don't play with the compression setting as they run them before they leave the factory and have a good starting compression setting. For fuel with the smaller engines start with 40% ether (JD starter if you can), 25% total oil (could be 50/50 castor/syn) 33% kero and 2% Amsoil Cetane Improver. The 09 will be happy starting with around an 8x4 prop after break-in you could drop to a 7x6. One tip - don't use an electric starter as they can bend connecting rods on diesels, also don't over prime, just a couple choke pulls through of the prop and its ready to start.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:29 AM
bmnewland

Originally Posted by Stuntguy13
New guy, the PAW's are solid engines that will serve you well. Go to there website they have videos on setting up there engines. If you buy one new don't play with the compression setting as they run them before they leave the factory and have a good starting compression setting. For fuel with the smaller engines start with 40% ether (JD starter if you can), 25% total oil (could be 50/50 castor/syn) 33% kero and 2% Amsoil Cetane Improver. The 09 will be happy starting with around an 8x4 prop after break-in you could drop to a 7x6. One tip - don't use an electric starter as they can bend connecting rods on diesels, also don't over prime, just a couple choke pulls through of the prop and its ready to start.
Thanks for the response great help and encouragement. I’m trying to buy the engine at Dr. diesel I emailed him for a price list and how to order and haven’t got a response maybe I just need to call him anyhow it’s hard to find an engine from dealers I’ll try Dr. diesel again.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:25 AM
wpadams

It should be possible to order engines direct from the factory in the UK. I've sent engines there for rebores in the past with no problems. Eric Clutton (Dr. Diesel) is getting on in years and is doing less these days.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:46 PM
bmnewland

Originally Posted by wpadams
It should be possible to order engines direct from the factory in the UK. I've sent engines there for rebores in the past with no problems. Eric Clutton (Dr. Diesel) is getting on in years and is doing less these days.
I have a look at that option shipping cost way too high I think I’m just gonna forget diesels. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:58 PM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Carlson Engine Imports in Arizona is still listing PAW engines, if you're still looking.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:46 AM
bmnewland

Originally Posted by RDJeff
Carlson Engine Imports in Arizona is still listing PAW engines, if you're still looking.
Ok, thanks. I’ll give them a look.