Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Tygon & Glow fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:56 PM
bsteckler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tygon & Glow fuel

Neither our diesel fuel nor gasoline plays well with silicon or latex. Does the reverse hold true? In other words, can glow fuel be run through Tygon line and Sullivan fuel tank gas stoppers?
Old 07-21-2007, 03:04 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tygon & Glow fuel

Tygon is chemical resistant to just about anything glow or diesel it does not care , rubber may be long term affected long term by alcohol thing it may have been an issue in some automotive issues when gasohol was first used, did affect some seals in the fuel system martin

A couple of my arfs had black tank stoppers I would assume neoprene have held up fine with diesel the light colored ones a silicone rubber base ?? are a NO NO

some type of rubber is used in brake systems of cars on the master and wheel cylinder and brake fluid is alcohol based contact with petroleum based oils will quickly make mush of them this occured when people got confused and put power steering fluid in the brake system

the Sullivan gas/diesel stopper is $1.35 why take a chance? Except for the couple of black ones that came with my arfs all have been swapped to sullivan also the black neoprene rubber tubing works great too more flex than tygon
Old 07-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Use this one: Gasoline Conversion Kit. All the fittings needed to use standard Sullivan tanks with gasoline or diesel fuel, along with a short piece of gasoline fuel tubing. [Do not use with Flextanks]. No. S484

Here it is at Tower== http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLZ2&P=SM
Old 07-21-2007, 06:14 PM
AMB

Also when you oull thart uo you will not ehtat the black neoprene works with gas--glow--or diesel martin
Old 07-21-2007, 07:18 PM
bsteckler

Thanks, guys. Looks like the Tygon combined with gas stoppers covers all contingencies.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

...er...

I located some nice Tygon at a local small engine shop. Comparable price to hobby stores (but my nearest LHS is 70 miles, this shop is much closer), pure brand stuff. With the idea in mind of multi-fuel use I did a few tests:

Immersed a short length in 25% nitro (1/2A glow) fuel. After about a week, the Tygon had shrunk to 2/3 original diameter or less, turned a darker yellow, more a deep amber, in color, and had the stiffness of unboiled pasta. (Not as brittle or breakable, but DEFINITELY not flexible.) I did allow it to dry after retrieving it from the glow fuel, to see if it would regain some of its characteristics - it didn't.

Silicone fuel tubing withstands the heat at a muffler tap. Tygon does not. It also quasi-melts, like fishtank airline tubing, in contact with fairly hot parts of a running engine.

I conclude that it is great stuff for kerosene, ether, castor, and most likely gasoline, and petroleum-based oils, but not for close passage to hot engine parts, or exposure to moderate/high nitro fuels. Used where appropriate, good stuff.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:26 PM
bsteckler

Gee, Lou, that is great info - never thought to put it to the test that way. Thank you. You no doubt saved me some potential frustation.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:12 AM
DarZeelon

There seems to be unanimity about Tygonâ„¢...

Does anyone know in Neoprene (as in Hayes tanks) will also handle everything (I know model Diesel fuel isn't a problem)?
Old 08-04-2007, 06:25 AM
AMB

Dar all my newer tanks are hayes they awill work with any fuel and the clunk line is flexable the tygon is too stiff in the one or two oz tanks to fall to the bottom, also the very small stopper with the metal ring one the tank neck cannot blow out or leak in glow this is important with the YS glow engines due to hight tank pressures it really is a universal tank
for all fuels no conversion pats needed martin