Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

diesel rc airplane motors

Old 03-17-2008, 05:49 PM
macgriffin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default diesel rc airplane motors

what would be a good diesel rc motor for a 40 sized airplane
Old 03-17-2008, 06:24 PM
fiery

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: diesel rc airplane motors

PAW .40 R/C ... if you want a "proper" traditional diesel. Will last a lifetime if cared for.

Or, you may care to try a Davis Deisel conversion of a suitable Glow .40. There are plenty of options.

If you can find one, the Irvine .40 Diesel is a superb choice, however they are no longer made, and all old stock seems to have been snapped up.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:46 PM
j.hiner@comcast.net

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I picked up a used Irvine .40 diesel at the Vintage R/C Society Muncie event a year or two for about $40. A bit dirty, but when I cleaned it up it looked like new. The one in the photo I got used in the late 1990's. I traded somethiing for the engine but foregot what. Jack
Old 03-17-2008, 07:48 PM
j.hiner@comcast.net

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Irvine .40 diesel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62769.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	906180  
Old 03-17-2008, 08:04 PM
j.hiner@comcast.net

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wrong photo on previous email. I hope I got the PAW .40 diesel photo this time. Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22980.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	906201  
Old 03-17-2008, 08:07 PM
macgriffin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

abought how much are the paws
Old 03-17-2008, 08:31 PM
AMB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Best bet is a OS46 LA or Super tigre 40 conversion (Davis head) the ST40 is ringed BB $50 or $55
have one total cost about $110 head is $60 OS 46 a little more but head same $60 nest step up irvine 46 or 53 head still the same $60 nothing wrong with PAW 40 have one but the others are a newer design
the OS46AX davis head us great too, I have all except the OSLAs. the old irvine 40 is great have 6 and
upgraded it with the davis head, you will not go wrong with any of the above.

I think Davis has some NIB irvine 53s English made but they do not have a carb however there are quite a few carbs out there that will fit it, almost forgot MVVS 40 and 49 again david head ( I have the 40) martin
If you go on the Davis site you can see the heads available he will not make a head for the engine unless the base engine is top notch
Old 03-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Hobbsy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mac, another excellent choice would be a .40 or .46 OS LA and a Davis conversion head, the Irvine will be hard to find and the PAW will most likely cost more than the LA engine and the Davis head. It appears that the LA .40 has been discontinued. I bought an extra LA .46 just in case and may grab another LA .65 also.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
macgriffin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

could they make them for an evolution motor i looked on their wep site and i couldnt find the heads
Old 03-17-2008, 09:34 PM
AMB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

go price list that is hwere they are listed martin
Old 03-18-2008, 06:25 PM
macgriffin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

can you convert a four stroke into a diesel??
Old 03-18-2008, 07:04 PM
pe reivers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes, it can be done, if you have the means to do it.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:05 PM
AMB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The answer is yes several of the guys on the site have done it, If you go back on the posts you will see
the details by Greg Z( he did an ASP/magnum for me) and motor boy have done some
Remember 4 strks have a lot more parts a 2 strk only 3 moving parts crank rod and piston and a power stroke every turn of the crank, 4 strks power stroke every 2. The 4 strk of course is quieter and has a lot of torque and usually runs in the 10K rpm range. A converted 2 strk also

has more torque than glow and is quieter and runs about twice as long on a tank compared to glow
If the idea is to fly and have fun. The 2 strk conversion is the easiest way to go (also cheaper)
The only factory issue 4 strk is the Enya 41 or 40 expensive, and to change compression you change the head gasket then of course readjust the valves

My conversion runs great and compression adjusted by a lavona cell screwed in the glow plug hole
which is basically a tube with a little piston you screw up and down to change compression
Is it nice-- to have sure is--but the basic engine with no hassels is the 2 strk conversion martin

An after thought it would be nice if OS did this a production engine but they would have limited sales
even the larger 2 stk diesels are gone with the exception of PAW. With the introduction of several diesel
cars in the next model year there may be more interest in model diesels. Only few modelers even know these exist ( model diesels) and they are already in the full size diesel use and repair
Old 03-18-2008, 07:21 PM
macgriffin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what does the heads of a two stroke diesel look like im going to make one
Old 03-18-2008, 08:51 PM
AMB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mac the basic diesel head is thicker and contains a close fitting contra piston which is lowered by a screw
threaded in the main head and usally uses an o ring which fits the grove in the contra thus assuring a tight fit to prevent leakage and dropping into the cylinder

For your first diesel 2 strk I strongly suggest getting a davis head, the squish band is right and as fast as you can pull 4 or 6 head screws and replace the head maybe 5 minutes you are ready to go
no guess work you only need fuel, gas/diesel fuel line and a tank stopper for gas or diesel, if you use a hayes tank all you need is the fuel line you can buy it at the LHS , Davis or use the weed eater fuel line form the hardware store martin
Old 03-18-2008, 09:11 PM
FrancisPerson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Irvine .40 diesel and at almost 17 oz it is no more powerful that a OS FP .40 at 10.7 oz. I have witnessed David Hobbs PAW .40 and OS .46 LA w/Davis conversion head. In my experiance the Irvine is cool to have in you engine collection but I would not put it on a plane. The LA .46 conversion diesel is about 500 RPM stronger that the PAW under the heavy load of a MAS 12x6 three blade.

Francis
Old 03-19-2008, 11:36 AM
AMB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Francis my Irvine 40 diesels are my work horses 6 or 7 and most upgraded with davis heads
they are in my apache 2 and 3 VMAR and a couple of others all high wings and beefed up tundra style for rough fields swinging 12x6 wood zingers they do fine for my flying, one of the apaches got upgraded
ti an Irvine 53 conversion and its hot martin
Old 03-19-2008, 05:19 PM
maxtenet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know I'll probably get a lot of crap for this but I like the Aurora .40 made in India. Its lightweight, starts on one flick and throttles well. It's not picky about fuel and is quite powerful with a big prop. I bought it from Carlson engine imports for $100.00 and really like it.

I have an Irvine .40 diesel which is nice but the contra piston dropped out after a few runs.

My O.S. .40 with a diesel conversion just doesn't work well because of the carb size, it's too big.

My Tower Hobbies RJL conversion idles and runs well because of the small carb and it is a light engine. It just has the odd porting and doesn't produce a ton of power. It is the cheapest of the bunch, though.

My favorite is my home made Fox .40 conversion which runs superbly. I don't know why there isn't a commercial conversion for this engine (or maybe there is and I don't know of it.)

Anyway, that's my two cents

Max
Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Hobbsy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Max, Davis has a head for the Fox .46 ABC and for the Fox .50, I have a Fox .50 and a .46 that I put a .50 sleeve and ringed piston into. I recently got a .46 ABC and just converted it a few weeks ago, all work very well, the .46 ABC is actually a few rpm stronger than the ringed .50. My workhorse engines are my OS LA .46 conversions, they are very user friendly.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 PM
AMB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Naw the 40 workhorse is the Irvine 40 diesel have 6 or 7 , But then again
this turns into the Massey Ferguson vs Johne Deere thing
Hobbsy on a different note hope you can nail down the Beaver martin
Old 03-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Hobbsy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Martin, I was using the term "WorkHorse" in the sense of which engines I use the most, of course my by far most used engines would be my SuperTigre .51, PAW .40 and Fox .74 ABC.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 AM
AMB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will have to hit the local HS again today to pick up a couple of 13 inch props 4 and 5 pitch> for cosmetic

reasons would like to use the Irvine 25 conversion or Enya 25 in the beaver would require almost no cutting of the cowl on the side just a small hole for the compression adjustment and then will bench run
both to see if we can jnto the 8K range the bottom of course would have to be opened for cooling
dropped a few bucks there yesterday a new sullivan 1/2 A starter, a really nice hanger 9 digital voltmeter
to check reciever battery you can load a .5, 1 or 2 amp drain and of course the Beaver martin
Hobbsy just had to prod you on the workhorse thing martin
Old 03-20-2008, 05:53 PM
johnvb-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: macgriffin

what would be a good diesel rc motor for a 40 sized airplane

Depends how fast you want it to fly. If it's a slower semi-scale or old time model maybe an Enya .25D
Old 03-20-2008, 08:28 PM
AMB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Its going into a 68 inch beaver electric conversion/ E Flite, ran it on the bench turned a 13x4 wood XOAR
8500-8600 idle 2500 seems to push a lot of air when standing in the back that is just a 100 rpm shy
of the high performance 32 electric and better than the standard is the 25 they are equating those numbers to glow equivalents so looks like in between the motor again is the enyna 25 diesel
the 12 x5 was only 7500 engine temp 195 to 200F at head junction muffler about `135F
and sure beats spending 300+ on electric power and thats only one 3200mil lipo battery martin
the Electric Guhru at the hobby shop thinks it will be very close the the preformance electric package
Old 03-20-2008, 08:47 PM
AMB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maxtenet A lot of us went to the davis head on the Irvine 40 to solve the contra issue it is great engine
and good insurance to solve the problem martin
its then bulletproof and run almost forever with no issues

Search this Thread