Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

pb engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:49 PM
peterburford

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pb engine

For any interested/budding machinists, I've added several pictures and clips to the manufacture section of my site, peterburford.com.au.
Peter
Old 06-04-2008, 03:49 PM
GrahamC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: pb engine

Peter,

Thanks for sharing. I marvel at everything on your website. Your PB33 is a truly well thought out and manufactured engine. It has been some time since I last had a look see. It is most interesting the details of your manufacture.

I see EN36A type steel often spec'd in the UK publications. Is there a more common North American equivalent? I have asked in passing at my local source but it only got a "Don't know what that is" kind of answer. A quick interenet search returns European and Asian web sites.

I know something like 4140 is not the same (ie chrome moly compared to chrome nickel); would it be similar in qualities to EN36A? (Don't go out of your way to answer if you don't know off hand, I will continue to do some poking around the internet to try and answer for myself)

cheers, Graham in Ottawa Canada
Old 06-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

PB, you had me worried for a moment with the symbol for lead being pb.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:38 PM
peterburford

Graham,

Equivalent standards of En36A are, AISI/SAE 3312, DIN 14 Ni Cr 14, AS X3312H, JIS SNC815.
You are correct in that En36A is a primarily Nickle/Chrome alloy. It case-hardens extremely well. retaining high core strength and, particularly good for our application, high impact strength. It is generally supplied with a black scale finish but, if you are lucky can be had as a bright reeled bar.
4140 is a high carbon, low alloy general purpose high tensile hardened and tempered steel. Good strength, but more difficult to machine.

I'm pleased that you care to look at the manufacturing sequences. I could go into far more detail, but fear that my amateur writing and photograpy skills come across as being pretentious enough as it is, and I'm sure that most of what I say is common-place for many. I'm happy to answer any question to the best of my knowledge. I and my Father have a long and practical experience of model engine manufacture, that would be a shame to be lost. My methods now are 'cottage industry' but we were far more automated in the Taipan days.

Peter
Old 06-04-2008, 06:43 PM
peterburford

Yeah, lead weight engines. Probably what you would expect at the bottom of the Globe.
I was self concious of having my initials on my car number plate (When I selected narrow plates to suit my older car.) but was happy when it was pointed out that it stood for 'personal best'.
Peter