Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Sig Lil'Rascal gets Oily

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Sig Lil'Rascal gets Oily

Peter, I have the Sig Rascal 40 with a PAW .40 and the covering is fine if yours is same.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:29 PM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found a long thread on the electric version and posted were reports of stock motor rpm ranging from 6,800 to 7,100 rpm with the 6x4 prop and weighing in at 9ozs.
So I would have substantially more thrust and torque at 12,000+ rpm with the little diesel at 8.4 ozs.

Also mentioned were a tendancy to snap but I havn't weighed through enough posts to get some revised cg locations yet...more reading
Old 10-02-2008, 02:19 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rocket bob I do not know if you have clearance for a larger diameter prop , but as a guess in the 10K range would would have lots of thrust might be a little tamer on the controls,
martin
Old 10-02-2008, 03:38 PM
RocketRob

Good call Martin.

I will try to use a bit of moderation in the throttle dept. on the next flight attempt.

Found this post on page 11 I think which says a lot....

Snap roll eliminated

I moved the center of gravity to the leading edge of the main spar and so far havent had any snap rolling problems.

Don
Old 10-05-2008, 07:43 PM
RocketRob

Maiden #2 was a sucess.
Taped about 6 gms. to the nose to get the cg to the front edge of spar.
Launched over the pickelweed at half throttle and she flew away.

ran full throttle and idle circuit passes but was hesitant to get her too slow

Had an ounce in the tnak to burn off and flying down the runway and wham.....mid air...wing sheared in half and spinning fuselage launched arcing across the sky.......

Post flight inspection and very minor damage to eppenage and wing is shot, so order up a new one on Monday. Don't even have to fuss with ailerons - and best yet no damage to the schlosser - needle and carb intact[8D]

Post flight debrief; Aircraft flew very well, always carried speed and flew on the wing. Revised CG made a huge improvement.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Entropy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think caused the wing to seperate? And could you maybe get some photos of your throttle servo installation? I'm having a tough time figuring out what servo to use now that I found out the Walkera 4#3 servo is not going to work...

And could you link me the Lil' Rascal thread? I couldn't find it with the search...
Old 10-06-2008, 11:50 AM
RocketRob

Sorry - guess I wasn't clear.....I had a mid air colision with another plane. The other plane struck the Rascal wing near the tip and it sheared at the fuselage.
I have a new wing is transit as I type.

I'll post a throttle shot tonight.

Happy reading......
[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164824&page=13]RCGroups Lil Rascal Thread[/link]
Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's unfortunate and unfortunate. An ounce must take quite a bit of time in a .5CC. I remember my first solo flight were the throttle arm broke of the MVVS 1.5D, and I had a two ounce tank. it flew for at least 15 minutes wide open. The width of a spar is probably a lot more significant in a model this size.

I only remember seeing one of these fly. A club member had one and it had a warp in the wing and would only turn one direction. He sorted it out at some point.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:58 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Entropy one several of my small ones I made a1/16 ply plate maybe an inch square glued a couple of small square blocks to that to attach the servo (micro) and attached it to the fus wall ( I used a couple of small screws and just bolted it on and a straight run for the throttle cable alongside the tank and thru the firewall neat clean and easy martin
Old 10-06-2008, 08:40 PM
RocketRob

The fuel tank came out to apply a coat of epoxy sealant to the fuel compartment.
The servo was covered in shrink wrap and glued to the rear of the battery/fuel compartment this gives a straight shot to the throttle arm.

Your throttle will be different and a bit of creativity will be in order.

The plane was flying very well. So that accounts for two flights and 0 landings[&o]

I can't wait to try touch and gos with this little throttle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19424.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1047257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56600.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1047258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73252.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1047259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62117.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1047260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg15379.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1047261  
Old 10-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Entropy

Thanks RocketRob and AMB. Yeah my throttle servo is in the front and I can barely fit a 1oz Flex Slant tank. I think I'll try the tank you have, Sullivan, right? Of course I still need to tear out the old Walkera servo which I epoxied balsa rails to and CA'd to the floor of the compartment. I would've used a different servo but they were too tall, too bad I didn't think of turning it sideways like you.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:57 PM
RocketRob

Two steps forward - one step back. That is the joy of conversions. You can recreate the second one (rekit) in less than 1/2 the time.

For the engine mount I ripped down some spruce to 5/16x1/4" and ran them along each side between the 1st and second bulkhead - station 1 & 2 for the engineers. The 5/16 dimension worked to fill the sides in to the Schlosser crankcase and i think is the same for the PAW .55. The electric motor version hangs the motor and gearbox directly off station 1 so I figured this would provide ample forward support.

I cut a 1/16" ply plate to cover the lightning hole in station 2, which the throttle linkage, fuel supply and fuel vent penetrations were routed.

The rest was pretty much per plans and specs.

Having this plane out of service is bugging me more than it should - where is my new wing? Jeeze I ordered it yesterday
Old 10-07-2008, 05:15 PM
peterburford

My 'plane arrived yesterday; half way around the world in fewer than 10 days from order.
$152.00 Australian in total.
I unpacked it for a look, but I shall be away for two weeks before I get a chance to work on it.
I'm sure there will be more to read on this thread by then.
Peter
Old 10-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Entropy

Yep, there should be. I've had my motor mounted for a while now but the big delay has been fitting the fuel tank and now the issues with the cheap Walkera servo I used. Not only is it drawing way too much current but it even stripped out! I'll be sure to post my pics in this thread as well even though it's not a diesel engine, rather a Norvel .049 R/C...
Old 10-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Entropy

Hey Rocket Rob, do you have link where I can buy just the Little Extra tailwheel? All I can find is the whole kit.

And how are those Dymond 4.7g's holding up for you?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:52 PM
RocketRob

The Dymond servos hold up very well. They are expensive but the most precise servo in the 4-6gram range. Certainly overkill for this model, but a nesessity in the fast small models.

I think you have to call Sig for the tailwheels.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:00 PM
RocketRob

Peter,
Have you had a chance to unpack your plane?

I had a wonderful flight in quite gusty conditions on saturday - I love this plane, I have been flying it at an electric field.
It sounds so good motoring overhead just a tick above idle.

I havn't really tried to slow it down very much - just been motoring around.

When it stalls or snaps you loose a bunch of altitude. It does the nicest violent acellerated snap rolls and goes into a tight downward spin and everytime I find myself praying it will pull out.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:31 AM
RocketRob

While this plane isn't a floater, It suits my flying style and typical conditions quite well.

With a bit of power dialed in it tracks as on rails, very good directional control from the little rudder. The little diesel provides more than enough umph to keep a smile on the face of the most diehard speed freak. The throttle and seemingly unlimited tank enough touch and go potential. And the somewhat heavy wingloading great penatration and stability in gusty conditions. My last flight windspeed was around 11kts. and I was not quite ready to try to greeze her in on the asphalt so I landed in the grass dirt .....Oh yeah the stoutly built airframe shrugs off damage.
I would recomend it for any small diesel .25-.8 and simple installation, glue in two side rails and a firewall overlay....
Old 10-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Entropy

Where did you put your receiver battery? Behind the wing? And what 250Mah battery are you using?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 AM
RocketRob

The receiver batt ended up on the wing underside suspended by velcro.
In the fuse opening there is one bulkhead at mid span. I cut the top cross piece of this bulkhead so I could slide the battery pack fore and aft along the wing underside to change the cg.

I am using the flat 4cell 220 pack from radical rc or you can buy the 220 8cell electrifly pack from tower and make two packs from it.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Entropy

How many grams does that Schlosser .05 weigh anyway? I was hoping to get away with having the battery in the cabin...I think my engine weighs about 50 grams or so...

I still need to wait until payday to get my Dymond servos and a 1 oz round tank. And I really supposed I should fuel proof the engine bay and make a firewall block to limit the fuel that gets back there...
Old 10-16-2008, 12:18 PM
RocketRob

If my memory serves, the Schlosser .5cc is around 59grams while the PAW is 67gms (both include carb and exhaust).

Typically I install the components which can't be relocated in the airframe - engine, tank, then assemble the plane and tape the other components to the exterior in the "preferred" locations and check for cg. This allows moving the components which are easily movable to hit cg. and also the ability to be able to move the battery to gve a "useable" cg range.

There are other small servos which are servicable but less expensive than the Dymond's, I've had good luck with the HS-50's and cirrus 4.4's, and even the little gws bb picos.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:59 PM
peterburford

Rob,
I'm just back from two weeks away. (Missed much of the World financial doom and gloom reporting. )
I did look at the 'Rascal before I left. Just beautifully done.
Of course, I have a bunch of work on returning, but I will get to making a tank-mount and installing the diesel.
Peter

Old 11-06-2008, 06:35 PM
RocketRob

Hey Peter,

How is progress?
We have a new president

The Rascal is flying well.
The fuse is getting the 50 mission look after having survived the initial cg experiments and the mid air colision, but the fuel does not seem to attack the covering, just the abrasions....
I ordered one for the shelf from Skaliwag
Old 11-07-2008, 08:02 PM
peterburford

Rob,

I showed the Lil'Rascal to Gordon. He gave me a covering iron to shrink an ever-so slight-wrinkle on the fus. Too much heat and I pulled the white in at the edges. BTW I have not built a 'plane for, maybe 30 years and even then, not many. They didn't use this stuff back then. I want to carefully pull some wash-out into the wing tips. Slowly, slowly!
I've decided to use the pb 0.33 with the tank as-is, and accept that 5 minutes will be enough flight time for me. I'll probably mess this 'plane pretty quickly anyway. I've cleared a model construction bench, cut some of the nose cowling away and now need to source ply-wood for a new engine mount bulkhead. I thought to use less downthrust than they have with the electric motor. I have 'everything-you-could-need' to make engines, but not a thing to build 'planes. It could be some time before it makes the skies. At least you've got me started.

Now on to your new Pres. For the better!
Though, I've heard comment that the old administration, by presiding over our depressing financial downturn, have done more to slow Global Warming than many well-intentioned organisations. So, there is some good in everything.

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.