Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Pracical Unaided Starting Temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:38 PM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pracical Unaided Starting Temperatures

Question for the experts: What is the minimum pratical engine starting ambient temperature for smaller model diesel engines? I.E. how cold can it be for me to go to the field and expect to get reliable starts?

I've been breaking in my PAW .09 with temperatures on the 60sF, but now it's going lower and will stay there for a while. I've got 10, 2 minute runs in and want another 5 before really leaning it out and working for a good idle. Preliminary readings with a 7X4 Top Flight wood prop are 12.5K top end and as low as 2800 RPM idle. Literature says I can go into the lean zone for operation and not hurt the engine.

Assume a good engine and new fuel - Old English Mix in this case.

Thanks,

John C
Old 01-15-2009, 09:44 PM
tgeorge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pracical Unaided Starting Temperatures

If at home you have two very handy "warming" tools - your handy heat gun and your automobile exhaust. Since you usually have no heat gun at the field I would suggest using your automobile exhaust. That's been my "cure" for a cold engine for more
ORIGINAL: John C

Question for the experts: What is the minimum pratical engine starting ambient temperature for smaller model diesel engines? I.E. how cold can it be for me to go to the field and expect to get reliable starts?

I've been breaking in my PAW .09 with temperatures on the 60sF, but now it's going lower and will stay there for a while. I've got 10, 2 minute runs in and want another 5 before really leaning it out and working for a good idle. Preliminary readings with a 7X4 Top Flight wood prop are 12.5K top end and as low as 2800 RPM idle. Literature says I can go into the lean zone for operation and not hurt the engine.

Assume a good engine and new fuel - Old English Mix in this case.

Thanks,

John C
than forty years of diesel and glo
Old 01-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

John, I've run some Diesels when it was 30f but I can't remember doing it any colder. Its about 8f here right now, I'm sure I could get an engine started, but its me that won't start.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 AM
John C

Thanks for the responses. My vehicle is a diesel with a 4" exhaust pipe and a cold exhaust at idle (or not under load). Sounds like I can use 50F or so and expect to get a start. Last two days at the field I was flying electrics with frost on the starting benches and glow a bit later in the day, but still under 50F. Maybe next week...

John C
Old 01-16-2009, 11:10 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to try and rough-it in the winter be VERY careful and use good hand protection. The ingredients in diesel fuel evaporates very fast and can give you frost bite.

I would suggest resorting to building when it is below freezing and flying (or engine running) only when it is above freezing.

As a teen, I ran diesels in cold weather and got lots of cold hands and bloody fingers, but that may have been because I was just learning diesels at the time (nineteen fifties). I have more sense now.

George
Old 01-16-2009, 11:27 AM
John C

I too was running diesels in the 1950s...but in South Florida where we rarely got down to 50F, though they may this week. I do remember delivering papers with numb fingers on my bicycle though [X(].

ohn C
Old 01-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Mr Cox

I'm not sure what "unaided" means here, electric starter or a friend who flips better...?

But if you preheat the engine with a small torch it is very easy to start. One can then easily hand start the engines even when it's below freezing, the problem is to fly wearing gloves...
Old 01-18-2009, 06:32 PM
gcb

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox
I'm not sure what "unaided" means here, electric starter or a friend who flips better...?

But if you preheat the engine with a small torch it is very easy to start. One can then easily hand start the engines even when it's below freezing, the problem is to fly wearing gloves...
Then again, some Brits are probably wondering how you can preheat an engine with a flashlight.

Funny thing, language... Sorry, couldn't resist. [&o] []

George
Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Mr Cox

Ooops, sorry about that...

I guess/hope blowtorch would have been a better word to describe it, i.e. a low heat flame like a butane/propane flame set to low heat.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:40 PM
gcb

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox
Ooops, sorry about that...

I guess/hope blowtorch would have been a better word to describe it, i.e. a low heat flame like a butane/propane flame set to low heat.
Never tried a propane torch with diesels but back in my much younger days we used to heat glow engines that way. Problem is, you can't see alcohol burn. When we heard that wierd pop, we would look for bubbling paint. Smothered the fires out with a rag.

A bunch of us were winter flying CL one time when it started to snow very hard just after we launched one of the guys. He could not see his plane, only could follow the lines out so far. When the engine quit he made a successful but bouncey landing. We gave up for the rest of the day.

...sigh! Things you do when you are young.

George
Old 01-19-2009, 02:47 PM
tadawson

ORIGINAL: gcb

Then again, some Brits are probably wondering how you can preheat an engine with a flashlight.
Check out some of the very high intensity xenon lights like Surefire's product. They need to use Pyrex lenses they run so hot . . . and you can burn yourself if you put your hand over the lens.

Trust me, it's possible!

- Tim
Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 PM
chevy43

When my dad was flying control line in the late '40s there was one kid who flew well totally blind. He just felt where the plane was with his arm!!!

Treven
Old 01-23-2009, 12:40 PM
ddd

Hi John,

When we developed our diesel conversions they had to start by hand in 32F and did. The problem was setting the needle in the wind chill of the prop wash. Over cooling in the air also had to be solved with a piece of foam around the cylinder.

Bob Davis
Davis Diesel Diesel
Old 01-23-2009, 01:53 PM
John C

Thank you, Bob. That gets me calibrated as to the art of the pratical, which is what I was looking for, not that I'll try at 32F !

Got the Frog 2.5 ready to go now with a needle valve from the UK.

Weather is looking better for next week, and AARP TAx Aide tax school is over, so maybe I'll work on my diesel flip for the PAW 1.5 as well.

John C