Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oliver Tiger Major

Has anyone had any experience with these ? I'm wondering if the Mk. 2 Major was an improvement on the Mk. 1, which apparently was a bit of a shaker. Strange that the 3.5 Rivers was almost as smooth as a glow engine, yet the Olly Major is more typical of a large Diesel engine. If anyone knows if Peter Chinn ever mentioned the Mk. 2 Major in his "Latest Engine News" (Aeromodeller) column, I'd love a scan of same, and all comments welcome ! Thanks, BOB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Oliver Tiger Major

Bob,
    Just in case you hadn't seen it these are the pages from Aeromodeller of the (presumably) Mk1 Major.
    http://www.the.elmores.btinternet.co...er_major1.html
    http://www.the.elmores.btinternet.co...er_major2.html
    Or go to the beginning of the listings for all engines including the Rivers 3.5 (but no Taipan marine unfortunately ).
    http://www.the.elmores.btinternet.co...s/_cat001.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

downunder - thanks.
    I understand the new versions on the old tooling will soon be available.
    I received a recent email about availability soon for the RC carb, silencer equipped Major. [8D] RC Major? I imagine the purists cringing.

I've always lusted for an Ollie and thankfully resisted the temptation to a CS imitation[:'(] Now only if the mortgage refinance goes through
    Space Available

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bob
    What was the difference between the Mk I and Mk II. Was it just the modified crankcase with extra meat around the rear bearing and change in venturi? Were there any other differences?
    Cheers John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RocketRob

downunder - thanks.
    I understand the new versions on the old tooling will soon be available.
    I received a recent email about availability soon for the RC carb, silencer equipped Major. [8D] RC Major? I imagine the purists cringing.

I've always lusted for an Ollie and thankfully resisted the temptation to a CS imitation[:'(] Now only if the mortgage refinance goes through
    Welp Bob, I wouldn't be all that thankful if I were you,. Most of the CS Ollie repros were very good; some were bad,
    but most problems are easily fixed. Also, many of the CS Ollies were exceptional; My CS Ollie would out turn my
    almost new"Real" Oliver Tiger MK III by almost 1200 rpm, using the same fuel,same prop and run ten minutes apart.
    Al Heinrich also experienced the very same result as I did when he pitted his original Tiger against his CS repro.
    My CS Oliver Tiger MK III is in a CLC(Veco) Tomahawk, which I fly on 58'X.015" lines. It fliys very well and will
    easily fly the modern stunt pattern. [8D]

Tony G

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: raglafart

Hi Bob
    What was the difference between the Mk I and Mk II. Was it just the modified crankcase with extra meat around the rear bearing and change in venturi? Were there any other differences?
    Cheers John
    John,
    Just in case Phil is watching, let me say from the outset that an Olly Major looks nothing like a Taipan marine engine. Apart from the very un-Olly looking venturi that you mentioned, the only thing I know is that the Mk. 2 is supposed to have a longer piston skirt to eliminate sub-piston induction, as well as better counterbalancing on the crank, which (after reading the Engine Test of the Mk. 1) is probably a good thing. If you want to see the one I bought, its eBay item #270418466827. I wonder if the fact that the Rivers Silver Arrow had roller bearings contributed in any way to its smoothness ? Does the prefix "M" before the Serial # signify that the engine is Factory Modified ? I thought that Ollys had the Serial # on the L.H. lug, and M and HC (chromed bore) stamped on the R.H. lug. BOB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My experiences - "CS engines seem like a box of cracker jacks, you never know exactly what you're getting, just figure on sorting it all out."

I've read about some hot running CS Ollies and some not so hot.

Space Available

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is a box of cracker jack crumbs after passing thru the digestive track of a chicken NEVER AGAIN

They have no rejects no qualilty control if they can cram it in a box out it goes
    they also do not have a clue on metallurgy . If any of their engines use an iron piston its not meehanite a close grained iron it would be one step up from slag martin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AMB

Mine is a box of cracker jack crumbs after passing thru the digestive track of a chicken NEVER AGAIN martin
    I had to work on the needle valve. After that, a bit "wet nosed" but runs well.

George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

George at least you got one that runs the wet nose thing sounds like a sloppy crank to case fit martin

IT may not be a total loss I think I can make an intake tube to hold the carb and use in on my Letmo .06 which is replica#269 by MP in the Czech rep.expensive little carb $50 (thats a joke) right now this is a back burner project since I want to finish my KMP beaver electric to diesel conversion it will get the ST34H or 32os fx both ready to go with Davis heads and Pitts mufflers for side mounting thus exhaust out the bottom martin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AMB

George at least you got one that runs the wet nose thing sounds like a sloppy crank to case fit martin
    Exactly!

George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On CS Olivers. We, Wal and I, have been using a CS Oliver in various racing events at KMFC in Sydney. To say that the CS engine is the equivalent of a genuine is far from true. You only get what you pay for in this life and while you MAY (not at all guaranteed) get a good one, how long it will last is the real question. We have broken shafts and rods and never had quite the horsepower of a really good genuine Oliver and no where near the horsepower of a Steve Rothwell R250 which is another class again.

The CS Olivers can give a taste as to what an Oliver is like, but sadly if it's not a good one it can be a sour taste! The needle valve assemblies on the CS Oliver engines are atrocious, be warned.

Wal owns the engines and Steve did a lot of work on them to give Wal a hand to get going in racing. He's supplied shafts, rods and piston sleeve assemblies and his venturi and needle valve assemblies to the couple of engines that Wal started out with. They are now nice handling powerful engines, but in all honesty use just about only the CS crankcase!!!!!!!!

Both Wal and I have now bought ourselves an R250 each. These are so far removed from the CS olivers in quality of materials, fit's and finish and exceed the original engines standards in all respects. Every engine is hand tested before Steve will send it out and has to meet strict performance standards before it goes to the customer. When it arrives it comes with 6 pages of instructions covering every facet of usage. These instructions go into the fine details of adjusting the ignition improver percentages for changes in atmospheric conditions to give an idea of just how comprehensive they are. This is also a reflection on Steve's approach to sending out a consistent high quality product.

I've got one of the Mk II Oliver Majors on order from the UK, I just have to have one in my lifetime, bugger the cost! I just wanted to make sure that I'd specified the right one and looking at the pics of the one you bought Bob, I have ordered the right one.
    Can I tempt you to a new Genuine Mk 4 Hard Chromed Oliver Tiger ? it's really a collectors engine and the collector in me has been saying " you can't use it, you just cannot use it!!!!!" and I simply couldn't bring myself to use it now I have the R250

Cheers John

Cheers John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is their a web site for ordering an English reproduction Oliver?

I would love to have one, hang the expense

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G'day Have a look at Steve Rothwell's site in Australia. Steve makes the R250 and it is a truly excellent Oliver Tiger reproduction and meant to be used. http://www.smrpl.com.au/
    \"I just had no control. Must be the radio.\" Club Saito #597 Kadet Brotherhood #66

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think someone posted that John Oliver is having new engines produced under his name. I think these would actually be Olivers, not reproductions.

George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scroll 1/2 of the way down the page of the link below for the news on the "new" Ollies:

http://www.modelenginenews.org/ed.2009.02.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

** Bump **

Has anyone taken delivery of a Clint Hill Engineering Oliver Tiger Major Mk II yet?