Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OS FP.40 with a MECOA K&B RJL Diesel Head

Hi all,

Is an OS FP.40 with a MECOA K&B RJL Diesel Head much use these days?>>

They are both new and are available, and the intended use is for control line stunt.>>

Thanks in advance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: OS FP.40 with a MECOA K&B RJL Diesel Head

ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

*Hi all,

They are both new and are available, and the intended use is for control line stunt.>>

Thanks in advance.

They are good for just as much use as they ever were, I would think.

I have a Magnum .40 GP and the same Diesel conversion head as you mentioned. Unfortunately, both are in the center of a two car garage that is stacked floor to ceiling with no way to get to them at the moment. Sure wish I could get to them to play with. Let us know how you make out if you decide to take the leap.

Ed Cregger
    \"Practice makes prefect\"

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I actually have the same MECOA head on a Tower .40 and it works flawlessly. The Tower .40 is basically a copy of the OS FP and the OS should perform well. Not a powerhouse but as docile as any diesel made. One flip starts and throttles very well! Mine is on a Stick trainer used for my nephews to get started in RC. Reliable as a Deere.

Max

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the same RJL head on an early ROYAL .40. , it's a nice ball raced engine (pretty much a copy of the O.S. .40 FSR, made by Thunder Tiger for ROYAL I believe), nice blue anodised head.

I have not run the ROYAL yet, too busy with work etc [&o]. I will also be putting a 6 mm throat carb on it, for better throttling.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

I have a Magnum .40 GP and the same Diesel conversion head as you mentioned. Unfortunately, both are in the center of a two car garage that is stacked floor to ceiling with no way to get to them at the moment. Sure wish I could get to them to play with. Let us know how you make out if you decide to take the leap.

Ed Cregger
    Hi Ed,
    I know that the head is as good as it ever was but was more wondering if it is the best buy now that there are more choices available.

For example, I could simply go out and buy a Davis Diesel OS Max LA 40 or 46 very easily with far better spares backup, so its more that should I use the older discontinued OS Max FP over a more modern available setup?

What makes me like the older setup is that its a bit unusual and cheaper, and it not that blue colour that some of the LA's are these days.

Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NM2K

*Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Ed Cregger
    Hi Ed,
    I know that the head is as good as it ever was but was more wondering if it is the best buy now that there are more choices available.

For example, I could simply go out and buy a Davis Diesel OS Max LA 40 or 46 very easily with far better spares backup, so its more that should I use the older discontinued OS Max FP over a more modern available setup?

What makes me like the older setup is that its a bit unusual and cheaper, and it not that blue colour that some of the LA's are these days.

Thanks.

Well, this is one decision that I can't help you with, as much as I would like to help. To me, the OS FP series of engines are still "new", even though they have been superceded by the LA series. If I didn't have the conversion head yet, I'd have to look at the Davis head with my scrutiny, versus buying another brand conversion head. Me, I already have the engine and the conversion head, so there is no debate for me.

Ed Cregger
    \"Practice makes prefect\"

Saito Club Member #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Recycled Flyer,

I have a OS FP .40 with a Davis head and it is a beautiful combination. The FP .40 is almost three oz lighter than a LA .40! If you have a chance for a new FP .40 then get it and if the RJL head does not work out then try a Davis head if you need to.

FP .40=Great engine!

Thanks
    Francis

I love Diesel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yv66009.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	1395693  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Francis what is that 4 banger in??? martin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Martin, Francis is the proud owner of a new Kubota 26hp tractor, he may correct me on the hp. In many cases Diesels are odd numbered cylinders because Diesels work better with larger cylinders. In other words 3 or 5 larger,(Audi) is better than 4 or 6 smaller sized ones.
    Farmall 240 the final issue of the Farmall C, Super C, 200, 230 series.
    122 Cu. In. 22 hp. A small tractor that would do big work due to its 10x36 inch rear tires.

As competition improves products, the differences between them get smaller and smaller

Club Saito member #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tx dave did not know it was a tractor,gotum beat though by 3 cylinders my dodge 2500 sports a 5.9 6 cyl Cummins martin

As a footnote as of yesterday 3/10/2010 retired from winn dixie as a full tme Pharmacist will now have time to mess on the bench and fly
    my planes, the latter of course the real fun

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a 3 cylinder K75 BMW motorcycle for years and much to my riding buddies disgust it ran as smooth as silk because both the primary and secondary vibrations were very low and there only remained a rocking couple along the crank shaft that was dealt with by a balance shaft that ran at the same speed as the crank.

The 5 cylinder Audi simply uses the same thinking as the 3 cylinder engine but uses cylinders 1 and 5 as the 'balance shaft.'

Combined with the above posts I think that odd numbers of cylinders in diesels also run better because of the above reasons.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The moral of this story is if you can get your hands on an OS FP .40 DO IT! This is a lightweight smooth and running as glow or as diesel. The LA series are fine sport engines and good diesel conversions but why do they weigh so much more?????????

Francis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Next time someone says the odd cylindered engine should shake, remind them that inside the odd numbered engine no two parts are moving in the same direction at the same time nor by the same amount at the same time.

Hey Francis and Martin, long time no talk

RF, those K75s still bring big bucks if in decent shape. One of the salesmen at Mortons BMW in Fredericksburg has about three of them.
    122 Cu. In. 22 hp. A small tractor that would do big work due to its 10x36 inch rear tires.

As competition improves products, the differences between them get smaller and smaller

Club Saito member #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm puzzled by the comments about a weight difference between LA and FP. I have the FP and it is about 11 1/2 with muffler. I don't have an LA, but both the RC Report review and Tower website give the LA weight at a little over 12 oz. I've never heard of anything close to a 3 oz. weight difference. Power seems to be about the same, meaning not much

I might dieselize my 40 FP. It's an easy starting glow engine but I have smaller engines that are more powerful. It would be more useful swinging a large prop on something big and slow.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any of the FP series are better than the LA's that replaced them. Terrible decision on the part of OS-I won't buy any of the LA's.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why, I have two LA .46s and perfect is about the only way to describe them, one is wearing a Davis head In the picture it is turning a Graupner 12x7 at 9,450. Since that picture I have added a Bissson Pitts muffler, if it follows the Webra .50 conversion it will turn the 12x7 about 400 rpm faster with the Pitts muffler. I'll have to do that.

Name:	Gd93751.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	1402324  

Club Saito member #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Martin Congratulations on the retirement, Enjoy, you made Geri's day when I told her that.

Club Saito member #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

Any of the FP series are better than the LA's that replaced them. Terrible decision on the part of OS-I won't buy any of the LA's.
    Um, better in what way?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My OS FP .40 with RJL Diesel Head and Mac's Muffler. Pictured spinning a Taipan 10x6 prop at 12,000 RPM.

The RJL head is very nicely made and the engine throttles well.

Name:	Sp45336.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	1728871  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have flown a Tower 40 with RJL head on an Old Time Stunt CL airplane, and had good luck with it up to a point. I had two problems. First, I went through four crankshafts. I think because I insisted on running a heavy hub. I converted back to glow and flew many, many flights with no heavy hub problem. The other problem is, perhaps, more relevant. The airplane is flying along, and all of a sudden the engine overcompresses and stops. The shelf under the O-ring on the contrapiston had come off and was stuck to the top of the piston. No damage to the engine. I designed a slightly modified contrapiston, with a thicker shelf, and the late Gene Hempel made it for me. Worked fine.