RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Everything Diesel (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/)
-   -   Lubrizol (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/11280211-lubrizol.html)

Recycled Flyer 10-29-2012 02:45 PM

Lubrizol

Lubrizol, is it of any purpose in a sport diesel?

qazimoto 10-29-2012 03:42 PM

RE: Lubrizol

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

Lubrizol, is it of any purpose in a sport diesel?

Utterly useless in a sports diesel.

I use it in my R250's, the GTS PAWS don't seem to need it, and if you use Benol enhanced castor it's totally unnecessary.

Lubrizol 52 is a thick treacle like liquid used in full size diesels to mitigate carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. Same use in model diesels at a concentration of about 0.2%.

It's best dissolved in the Kero. To make measurement simpler the appropriate volume of Lubrizol can be dissolved into a four litre container of kero.

I got the tin shown as a free sample in 1998. Fourteen years later, and despite it being used by three different teams, there's still enough for another decade.

Ray

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...40/Hf98652.jpg

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...40/Fa84711.jpg

Recycled Flyer 10-29-2012 04:50 PM

Thanks for the reply Ray, my jar full came from Geoff Potter and he said the same thing about never running out!

Same advice too concerning mixing the treacle with kero before use as it simply won't run out a container with any degree of accuracy.

Cheers.

steve111 10-29-2012 05:42 PM

I use it in my R250's, the GTS PAWS don't seem to need it, and if you use Benol enhanced castor it's totally unnecessary.
Ray, any thoughts on blending Benol with ordinary castor? I've been experimenting with a 15% castor/10% Benol blend, just to see what happens and make things a bit easier to clean up. So far, so good.

qazimoto 10-29-2012 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: steve111

Ray, any thoughts on blending Benol with ordinary castor? I've been experimenting with a 15% castor/10% Benol blend, just to see what happens and make things a bit easier to clean up. So far, so good.
Steve,

yes me too.

I've been blending the Benol with Castrol M at 9% each to get 18% total oil with good results and with the intention of gradually using more of the former.

However my source of Benol has dried up :D

Where do you get yours?

I was using another enhanced Castor brand (I've forgotten the brand name) from a bike shop at Maitland but they seem to have changed it's composition.

The old stuff would run very cool at 15% in a GTS2 PAW, but the second bottle runs much hotter.

Ray

steve111 10-29-2012 07:23 PM

Where do you get yours?
From Hobby Headquarters in Kirrawee. Not cheap though...

Recycled Flyer 10-29-2012 09:05 PM

I was told that Geoff Potter has now gone to 50 castor/50 Cool power without issues.

fiery 10-29-2012 09:53 PM

I can only get BeNol from my Bike shop in 1 US quart containers. It is not a regular stock item and is eye-wateringly expensive.

Is it available in bulk? Even a US gallon, or 4 or 5 litre pack would be better value.

Recycled Flyer 10-29-2012 10:20 PM

Just checked a certain auction site, it is not the sale price that kills, its the shipping cost!

fiery 10-29-2012 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As we are on the subject of lubrication. Let's look at possible BeNol alternatives.

Has anyone tried this?

Advertising copy states:

"MAXIMA CASTOR 927 - (1LTR)

PRO SERIES 2 STROKE

The ultimate racing 2-cycle lubricant.

Biodegradable formula is fortified with clean-burning additives to reduce power valve maintenance, prevents rust & oxidation, eliminates ring sticking and reduces

carbon build-up.

Generate more horsepower with improved ring seal and significantly lower friction.

Premix only.

Available In: 16oz/Liter/64oz"

Diesel Fan 10-30-2012 12:46 AM

For those here in Oz -

<span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 17px; ">Steve Cramer imports are the Australian distributor for Maxima, (03) 9587 1466.

(I have no affilation with this guy whatsoever.)<br type="_moz" /></span><br type="_moz" />

qazimoto 10-30-2012 01:13 AM

The Maxima is certainly reputed to be good stuff. However while local Motor Bike shops claim they can get it, it never seems to turn up.

Ray.

PWF63 10-30-2012 02:22 AM

ORIGINAL: fiery

As we are on the subject of lubrication. Let's look at possible BeNol alternatives.

Has anyone tried this?

Advertising copy states:

"MAXIMA CASTOR 927 - (1LTR)

PRO SERIES 2 STROKE

Biodegradable formula is fortified with clean-burning additives to reduce power valve maintenance, prevents rust &amp; oxidation, eliminates ring sticking and reduces

carbon build-up.

Generate more horsepower with improved ring seal and significantly lower friction.

Premix only.

Available In: 16oz/Liter/64oz"

Another oil to look out for is Penrite SIN Race Castor made for carts and model engines.
Made up of 85% degummed castor + additives and 15% synthetic esters. I've been using it for a couple of years now. Just as good as Benol.

Cheers

Fredo
<br type="_moz" />

raglafart 10-30-2012 03:53 PM

Has anyone tried this?

Advertising copy states:

''MAXIMA CASTOR 927 - (1LTR)

PRO SERIES 2 STROKE

Biodegradable formula is fortified with clean-burning additives to reduce power valve maintenance, prevents rust & oxidation, eliminates ring sticking and reduces

carbon build-up.

Premix only.

Available In: 16oz/Liter/64oz''

I'm using this in my Diesel speed fuel and now using it in all my fuels. I'm using it 50/50 with Castrol M.
If the Bike shops don't have it try the competition go Kart shops.
I get mine from the Homebush Kart Centre

ffkiwi 10-30-2012 04:14 PM

Could this be a descendant of the A727 oil that Dave Clarkson used to campaign in the 1980s and early 1990s at percentages as low as 7% in TR and Goodyear?

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

qazimoto 10-30-2012 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: ffkiwi

Could this be a descendant of the A727 oil that Dave Clarkson used to campaign in the 1980s and early 1990s at percentages as low as 7% in TR and Goodyear?

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Possibly not, except that both are enhanced castors. The A727 was a Castrol castor (obsolete now?) and the Maxima 927 is a recent 'merkin product.

I've just checked with the local Karting Centre (which is much closer than I'd imagined) and the Maxima is available in two Litre containers for $60.

Almost twice the price of Castrol M. The one litre container is $34 about what I paid for the last bottle of VT Castor.

Ray

Recycled Flyer 10-30-2012 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: qazimoto

I've just checked with the local Karting Centre (which is much closer than I'd imagined) and the Maxima is available in two Litre containers for $60.

Almost twice the price of Castrol M. The one litre container is $34 about what I paid for the last bottle of VT Castor.

Ray
Central Coast Kart centre Ray?

Anyway, interesting thread so far - the last Castrol M I bought was about $80AU for 4 litres.

qazimoto 10-30-2012 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

Central Coast Kart centre Ray?

Anyway, interesting thread so far - the last Castrol M I bought was about $80AU for 4 litres.

No Kartworks Cardiff, Lake Macquarie. The 5 litres of Castrol M I bought in February at Hunter Valley Filters (Gateshead) was $69.

So the Maxima is even costlier by comparison.

Herb Hanna should be able to put you onto a cheaper source ~ $80.

Ray

Recycled Flyer 10-30-2012 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: qazimoto
Herb Hanna should be able to put you onto a cheaper source ~ $80.
Ray
I can say this impunity since Herb don't frequent this site but ........ thats who I purchased it through!

(Do you think that he is taking a middle mans' cut or something? Wait till I talk to him next!)http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/punching.gif

Recycled Flyer 10-30-2012 06:07 PM

In the States you can buy Maxima Castor in up to 5 gallon drums so perhaps clubs can get together and buy it more cheaply?<h1></h1><h1></h1>

AMB 10-30-2012 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In the states Brodak the c/l company has been selling this for decades, have used it in making fuel when I run out of Davis fuel till I get more about $12 a qt martin\

the label is spelled caster on the side it reads Castor oil . maybe his brand name??

Recycled Flyer 10-30-2012 08:13 PM

They seemed to have fixed the spelling on their web site so I will venture that it was not a branding error.

PWF63 10-30-2012 09:01 PM

I can only get BeNol from my Bike shop in 1 US quart containers. It is not a regular stock item and is eye-wateringly expensive.

Is it available in bulk? Even a US gallon, or 4 or 5 litre pack would be better value.
I can get BeNol from my local hobby dealer at $22.00 per Litre bulk or single litre.
That's on par with Klotz syntyhetic for price.
The Perite Sin Cost me $27.00 for a litre bottle ordered through my local mechanic.

Fredo
<br type="_moz" />

DerFly 10-30-2012 11:23 PM

So gents,

BeNol as an "enhanced" castor oil is what exactly? Some proportion of synthetic added?

I've been thinking of using a mixture of Castrol M and Motul Micro for some time now. Perhaps 10% and 5% respectively on well run in TBRs and 15%, 10% in plain bearing engines.

What think ye?

Recycled Flyer 10-30-2012 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: DerFly
BeNol as an "enhanced" castor oil is what exactly?
Oh Ilike this thread!

From what Ican gather 'enhanced' castor is polymerised or heated for several hours at 150&ordm;C so that its organic nature can now be combined readily with mineral fuels.
http://www.go-cl.se/castor.html