RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Everything Diesel (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/)
-   -   flying weather (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/11307620-flying-weather.html)

AMB 11-24-2012 07:17 AM

flying weather

Flying weather in UK and Europe, understand cold rain and wind over there last week or so martin

ffkiwi 11-24-2012 11:20 AM

RE: flying weather

Really nice late spring weather here in NZ.............

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

bogbeagle 11-24-2012 11:53 AM

Today was lovely and calm in East Yorkshire.

Only problem was that the vis was down to about 100 m, where I fly.

It's those cold Easterlies, bringing saturated air from the North Sea. ... often persists for the whole day. It's dark by 4 pm.

We sneaked a fine day, last Saturday, though.

PWF63 11-24-2012 12:04 PM

Here on the Mid North Coast of NSW Aus has been blowing a gale since end of June.<div>Only just starting to settle down now. Might get some late Spring and Summer flying in.</div>

mike109 11-24-2012 06:24 PM

Meanwhile in Dubbo in inland New South Wales, Australia, it is about 35 degrees C (95 F) with a fluky hot wind from the North. When this happens at out field it blows over a row of large trees which run parallel to the strip. The result is "the washing machine effect" which makes landing into an extreme sport. You can be about an inch off the ground about to land and the plane suddenly jumps a metre into the air or worse, the opposite.

Once you get above the trees flying is fine but getting there and getting back is where the fun is.

I flew my Kadet Senior to test the conditions and we survived. I had to do a down wind take off across the strip but the Saito 62 made easy work of it. Take offs towards the pits are not recommended. Or appreciated.

Good weather for story telling.

Mike In Oz

AMB 11-24-2012 06:32 PM

Mike 95F is pretty warm spring weather How does that go?? " flying is the 2nd biggest thrill, landing is the first" martin

mike109 11-24-2012 07:57 PM

G'day

This can be a pretty warm part of the world. (Dubbo, NSW, Australia). In December and January, several days straight over 100F is not unusual and up into the Celsius 40s (104F+) is common too. At least here the hot weather is mostly dry heat. On the coast it gets very muggy with high humidity. I used to live in Sydney and when I moved to the inland I was amazed at the low humidity and how much better it is to the sweltering Sydney summers. When we do get high humidity here, it is really quite unpleasant. But then, that is when we turn on the aircon.

It is also pretty windy here for much of the year. August and September are very windy with winds from the West mainly. That is OK for us as it is straight down the strip. It is the "second hand Queensland air" from the north that can cause problems as it swirls over our trees.

We are about to visit our son, daughter-in-law and grandson in Switzerland over Christmas. I think we will freeze to death.

Cheers

Mike in Oz

fiery 11-24-2012 08:31 PM

First decent week-end (weatherwise) here in sub-tropical Queensland for quite a while.

Flew some this morning, and ran an engine on the field test-bed table.

Temperature today a pleasant 33 Centigrade; humidity however is up there.