RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Everything Diesel (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/)
-   -   Tadpoles (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/11325409-tadpoles.html)

toolmaker7341 12-11-2012 08:28 AM

RE: Tadpoles

What is that great looking aircraft? Is it a kit,plans or arf

fiery 12-11-2012 01:06 PM

A lowly VMAR "Arrow Tiger" ARF pattern trainer.

55" span. Symmetrical airfoil.

Shape reminds me of 'half-half' P-51D Mustang and Bf 109-G Messerschmitt.

Still available.

http://www.levelflight.com.au

This business also sells ENYA 2 and 4 stroke diesels. A big plus from me for that.

I have just bought a VMAR Scottish Aviation "Bulldog" for an Easter 2013 Build, to be powered by a diesel 10 cc. Build and wood quality is much improved.

It's no 'World Models' ARF, but excellent value for the price.

Apologies ... I am a long way off Micro-diesels.

AMB 12-11-2012 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fiery have several VMARs the Apache ll and lll among them the apache ll has been around a long time sturdy build had an Irvine 40 diesel then a upgrade to Irvine 53 Davis head
on the 53 it will knife edge also the hot rod high wing the apache lll has a side mounted 52 4strk ASP and cowled in to get a way from the trainer look also a low wing arrow 40 size
think it is a VMAR and an other high wing Hot Rod I have no beefs with VMAR qualitythey had some issues years ago but no more, at least in the last 10 years martin

Post Note I do have an ASP/MAG 4 strk converted to Diesel by Greg Glamryz that I can swap in

ffkiwi 12-11-2012 02:08 PM

But I'm OT!..............10,050rpm on a Cox 5x3 yellow this morning-unfortunately the camera batteries went flat when I tried to get the tacho shot........more to come. The Cox 5x3 still represents a significant load compared to other 5" props such as the Topflite or DC 5-1/4x3-1/2, so the performance continues to impress. Engine sounded very happy running this prop-but definitely harder to start.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

fiery 12-11-2012 02:11 PM

Over 10,000 RPM on a Cox 5 x 3?

Now I really want one! I have a box of those Topflite 5 1/4 x 3 wood props too ...

As you said Chris, lesson learned.

ffkiwi 12-11-2012 02:16 PM

It took a bit of tweaking to get it there, but we made it in the end. Camera batteries currently on charge, so I'll try and get a repeat run later-but its getting warm here today and it may not be so happy-we'll see.
Eventually I will run it on the raft of small props I've carefully balanced and we'll have some reasonable figures for reference. I won't do the APC ones though-as they'll need a bushing machined up, and I'm too busy with my Nats preparations. Perhaps early in the New Year, after I've returned from down south.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

AMB 12-11-2012 02:22 PM

sounds like the tadpole turned into a bulldog martin

ffkiwi 12-11-2012 02:42 PM

Well how much you'll eventually see once I run a series of comparative tests of the same props on the mini ED Baby of the same size..........but I need to make a compression screw lock for that one

CJM

ffkiwi 12-11-2012 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
'ere we are then-10080rpm, proof positive............

CJM

.....a quick check on the calculator suggests that this equates to ~0.013 BHP.......there may be a bit more to be got from the engine yet

fiery 12-11-2012 05:16 PM

Chris

Is it able to drain it's tank yet on a given needle setting? Or leaning out and quitting?

Now the Schlosser .25 cc's are also historical artifacts. it looks like I will have to keep my eyes open to see if one comes up on *bay.

ffkiwi 12-11-2012 05:26 PM

It still gets hot and labours to a stop unless you back off comp and richen the needle after about 1-1/2 minutes running-I've probably managed to run the tank dry twice in about a dozen separate runs. The shaft is a beautifully free fit in the main bearing so I'm assuming its cylinder friction is the issue here. I also noted today that the contra seems to freeze after more than a couple of minutes running [for the run where I took the photo, I topped the tank back up from nearly empty whilst it was still running-so that was a longer run than usual-and found that I couldn't back off the comp once the engine started to labour.
One thing I'll say for the wee beastie-you can tell whens it's happy.........and you can definitely clearly hear when it's unhappy........

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

fiery 12-11-2012 05:46 PM

It has a nice tight P/L fit - check.

It has a contra that 'locks up" when really hot - check.

These are plus points. I dislike engines that are a "loose" piston fit out of the box, and diesels with leaky contras are annoying.

The issues will only improve with running time, which is a bonus with a diesel this small.

fiery 07-12-2014 08:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally landed one of these ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYw3...ature=youtu.be

FSII 07-13-2014 03:04 AM

G'day Derek, Seeing that run today was sensational, well done

Nice nail polish BTW (VVTIC)

Cheers Mate