RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Everything Diesel (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/)
-   -   'New' PAW 149 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/11447584-new-paw-149-a.html)

steve111 03-17-2013 11:13 PM

'New' PAW 149

1 Attachment(s)
I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the old straight-venturi PAWs, and was lucky enough to have this turn up in the mail today. It's an original 149, too old even to be a DS. (According to the paperwork, the other models in the range at the time were the 249 Mk4, 19-D Combat Special Mk 2, and 19-BR). It was in the original box with paperwork, and appeared never to have been run since it was tested at the factory 50+ years ago. I was a bit surprised to find a ring muffler with it (were they even available back then?), but in any case I won't be using it.

It seemed a shame to leave it unrun in the box any longer, so we put it on the bench and fired it up, which it did with minimal fuss. It looks like it's a really nice one, so I'll give it a good break-in and get it flying in something.

DerFly 03-17-2013 11:52 PM

RE: 'New' PAW 149

Too right about the straight Venturi 149. I've had a lingering desire for one ever since photocopying a mini-Goodyear racer from a school library Aeromodeller magazine back in about 1983.

I do have later model 149 rc but really should find myself an earlier one.

DF

greggles47 03-18-2013 12:54 AM

Steve,

That wee beastie is way too shiny. It needs a lot of burnt castor over it to give it that lovely used patina.

A bit of general flying crap, like stray bugs and bits of oils soaked balsa and dirt add to the effect.

:D

G

AMB 03-18-2013 05:03 AM

nice catch I have the "new one" NIB only about 10 years old ?? it is a BR martin

brokenenglish 03-18-2013 07:58 AM

I think Steve's engine is late sixties.
I still have the one I bought new from HJN, when they were first released. Very nice!</p>

fiery 03-18-2013 01:00 PM

Nice find. A vertical intake PAW 149 from the early 70's was the first diesel engine I ever started. I was just a kid. I grinned from ear to ear for hours afterwards.

It had a "squish head". I always wondered what that meant as a kid. No-one at the time could tell me.

It saw service inverted in an AeroFlyte Husky which it pulled with authority (I'd say well overpowered) compared to OS Pets, Fuji 09's and the like.

Recycled Flyer 03-18-2013 01:49 PM

Hi Steve, how do you get stuff 'to turn up in the mail' like that? Come on now, whats your secret? [:eek:]
(The other day I has an old OS 46 VF 'arrive' by mail unannounced that had the wife doing her best 'up periscope' Meerkat impression trying to find out A) What is was, B) How much did THAT cost, C) Haven't you got enough engines already - followed by D) 'I am off to get my nails done so make sure there are no more of those packages are coming ......... OK?

And the 'we' that fired it up, Dave and your good self I assume? Cheers.

steve111 03-18-2013 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

Hi Steve, how do you get stuff 'to turn up in the mail' like that? Come on now, whats your secret? [:eek:]
(The other day I has an old OS 46 VF 'arrive' by mail unannounced that had the wife doing her best 'up periscope' Meerkat impression trying to find out A) What is was, B) How much did THAT cost, C) Haven't you got enough engines already - followed by D) 'I am off to get my nails done so make sure there are no more of those packages are coming ......... OK?

And the 'we' that fired it up, Dave and your good self I assume? Cheers.
Hi Chris, I actually got it from ebay, for a surprisingly reasonable price. Yep, I was over at Dave's, mainly for coffee, but took the 149 along for him to have a look at. In the end we couldn't resist clearing the bench of T2.5s and running the thing.

As regards the wife/meerkat situation, what works for me is to never quibble at anything she wants to buy. Any expenditure, no matter how frivolous, I encourage. Clothes, shoes, beads, trinkets, doesn't matter. If I've got unspent allowances in my wallet after a trip, I just hand 'em over (I can always go to an ATM anyway!). That way, not only can I buy all sorts of gratuitous modelling stuff with impunity, I also get to look gracious and generous. :D The only thing is that you need a reasonably sensible wife to start with, or the system will fall down and you'll end up with more ornaments and shoes than engines.

Ployd 03-19-2013 08:22 PM

Nice pick up Steve.

Have 2 PAW 149's (both D3 versions, same as your NIB example); one is in a power duration model and the other came in the mail just before Xmas from Queensland and needs more running in ;).

Before I use them I shim the prop driver to reduce the end play to about 10 thou and bullet shape the spray bar so that fuel tubing goes on a little easier (do that with all my PAW's)

While by all means put it "under glass" but I would encourage you to use it.

Ployd in OZ

steve111 03-20-2013 03:14 PM

While by all means put it "under glass" but I would encourage you to use it.
I don't own a glass cabinet. ;). Any engine I have ends up in a model sooner or later - in this case probably sooner, since I've already got a couple of things it'll bolt straight into.

errormuddler 09-26-2013 12:00 AM

There was also a schneurle ported "Contest" version of the upright venturi 149, does anyone have any info on how they went compared with the other ?

steve111 09-26-2013 12:38 AM

I've got the Schnuerle versions of the angle-venturi 09DS and the straight-venturi 249DS. In both cases, they're nice easy-handling engines - and don't seem to have any performance advantage over the originals.

Steve

errormuddler 09-26-2013 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by steve111 (Post 11624694)
I've got the Schnuerle versions of the angle-venturi 09DS and the straight-venturi 249DS. In both cases, they're nice easy-handling engines - and don't seem to have any performance advantage over the originals.

Steve

Thanks Steve

PAW stopped making the " contest: versions , I wonder if it was a case of not putting in the amount of development theres been with the radial ported ones ?

I would have thought there was a potential improvement in the schnuerle porting, recently came across an article by Clarkson ( not jeremy ! ) on his 1/2A combat model Kirin in which he mentioned that the extra cost of the contest was well worth it for the extra power and handling.
Maybe a bit of a sales pitch to help the Eifflanders ?
Or maybe they needed smaller props to realise any possible gain ? Have you tried anything along these lines ?

steve111 09-26-2013 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by alanma (Post 11624702)
Thanks Steve

PAW stopped making the " contest: versions , I wonder if it was a case of not putting in the amount of development theres been with the radial ported ones ?

I would have thought there was a potential improvement in the schnuerle porting, recently came across an article by Clarkson ( not jeremy ! ) on his 1/2A combat model Kirin in which he mentioned that the extra cost of the contest was well worth it for the extra power and handling.
Maybe a bit of a sales pitch to help the Eifflanders ?
Or maybe they needed smaller props to realise any possible gain ? Have you tried anything along these lines ?

Hi Alan

I suspect they jumped on the Schnuerle bandwagon because that was the big thing at the time, and then stopped making them because it didn't really offer anything much over their standard porting.

I've tried the 09 with a 7x4, but it really wasn't any better on that than any of my other 1.5cc PAWs. Much the same story with the 249 on an 8.5x4; perhaps a 7x6 would've made a difference, but I doubt it.

They certainly start and handle really nicely, but then I find the 'ordinary' ones pretty good in that regard anyway.

Cheers
Steve

PS Were you the Alan who was in the stunt event at the GB day a couple of weeks ago?

errormuddler 09-26-2013 04:29 AM

No,, that'd be my friend and clubmate Alan Brown - I didn't get there

Thanks for the info - my PAW 09 TBR (radial ported later model ) likes the soft Taipan 7 x 4
Its a bit tubby though, a good ounce or more heavier than the vertical venturi ones !

errormuddler 09-26-2013 05:12 PM

test new user name

errormuddler 09-26-2013 05:38 PM

try again

gcb 09-27-2013 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my straight venture PAW 2.49:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1925209

BTW how do I disable spell check.. it keeps correcting ventur{I} to venture!! I notice it doesn't affect others.

George

[email protected] 09-27-2013 10:17 AM

My PAW 2.49

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1925233

Dan Vincent 10-02-2013 02:58 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I have two of the early vertical venturi 1.5cc engines. Also a Contest-3, -4 RC with muffler and a Texaco special.

Never did get a -2 which looks like a -3 but has the NVA in the case venturi rather than in the venturi extension tube.