RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Everything Diesel (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/)
-   -   MP jet 061 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/7164676-mp-jet-061-a.html)

AMB 03-02-2008 08:46 AM

MP jet 061

Just went on the E **** there is a listed as new MPjet 061 I quit at $110 . looks like there will be around again as a run in month or two from the factory will wait and hope it happens-- as "factory fresh" I have a CS 061 from hughes coming for $48 anyhow and not a mystery engine on origin or condition on the MP martin

the MP jet 061 went for S141 on E *** I can wait and do not need it that bad

chevy43 03-02-2008 06:08 PM

RE: MP jet 061

Is it just a rumor or is there an actuall promise from the factory that they are going to make some more BB MP .061 RC diesels?

AMB 03-02-2008 06:25 PM

From what Ed Carlson tells me very likely but "Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush: martin

They did crank out the Lemos have one

RocketRob 03-03-2008 05:40 PM

Martin,
I hope they crank out a few production runs.

The new "classic" .040 were retail $100 - 110?, What do you think the .061 will retail for - adding in for ball races, rc carb and muffler?

SGC 03-03-2008 06:01 PM

RB,
Even with a price hike they will be worth buying, how many 1cc motors are equal to a TD09 or Norvel 074 in power ? all three spin a 7x3 around 17,000 rpm , but the MP Jet 061 is much better quality AND diesel :)
Stewart

misfitsailor 03-03-2008 08:13 PM

Maybe $150 to $170? An MP Jet .061 BB R/C is a bargain at any price! (Don't tell Carlson I said so...)[X(]

lildiesel 03-03-2008 11:34 PM

I'd love to have an MP Jet .061 for control line flying in the next couple of years. I suppose if there is a new production run I'd better get on the phone to Ed Carlson right away even if my miniscule engine budget for the year has already be shot building up three better than decent Cox reedies for my son and acquiring a vintage wee beasty to keep my Piccolos company. More on the latter project shortly -- I need to do a photo shoot make a nice spread for the thread.

paw080 03-04-2008 12:24 AM

Hi Stewart, about the only other 1cc engine that can run with the MP-JET is a CS(Raptorz) 1cc BB Glow, that's the engine with a front intake-rear exhaust config. As a curious aside, I bought and test ran a CS .09BB diesel, front intake-rear exhaust config engine and it's the most powerful 1.49cc engine I've ever run. It barely had ten minutes run time and I tached it at 21,500+ rpm using an APC 7x3.
However it had some typical CS nit pics, I had to replace the needle assy because the needle wouldn't close far enough. I still have the engine, someday I'll find a use for it. .09 racing or .09 combat is about the only application I can think of; but we don't do that
here in the States.

Hi Lildiesel, If you cannot find or afford an MP-JET 1cc diesel, look at the MVVS .09 diesel, it's usually found on Ebay or swap meets at very affordable prices and has very similar power to the MP-JET. Several of us use to goof around flying combat using our MVVS .09 diesels. My model was an English style pod and boom 265 sq" design. I used a Taipan 7X6 cutdown to 6"dia. it tached 13,500 and flew
75-76 mph on 45' lines. It would probably fly just as well and slightly slower with a 7X6.

To other readers, since this thread is about MP-JET 1CC diesels, I bought 2 of them from Ed Carlson, back when they were available. One is still new in the carton and the other is in a Sig Akromaster that I fly on 45'X .008" lines. It flys great at 12.2 ozs.

Tony Gallegos

SGC 03-04-2008 12:30 AM

Edd still has some MP JET,061 glows, I bought 2 today from him, 1 PB R/C and 1 F1J , the latter supposed to do 21,900 on APC 5.7 x 3 on 5% nitro!
Stewart

SGC 03-04-2008 12:33 AM

Tony,
The CS BB 061 is now marketed as a GZ061 in sport(FF) or timed for a pipe, quality is better than the CS version but still hit and miss, ok you you dont mind fiddling.
Stewart

SGC 03-04-2008 12:39 AM

lildiesel,
A good reliable and cheap 09 for C/L or FF is the russian Mk17 it spins the supplied 7x5" at a good 12,000 rpm , there also easy to handle/start. Did I also say cheap ? the bay sees them regularly from US$25 up to 60 tops (too dear) expect 30-45 NIB with prop, mounting screws, fuel line, jet spanner and a second size venturie.
Stewart
I think Carlson still has some for US$40

lildiesel 03-04-2008 12:48 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. I'd never have considered a Russian engine, especially since this would turn out to be my son's first diesel. I'll start paying attention to Mk 17 listings in the future.

gcb 03-04-2008 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few comments...

I bought a MP Jet .061 BB diesel from Carlson a few years ago. I got the one that came with both throttle and venturi. It's a fine running diesel, but I never equated its power to a TD .09, MVVS .09, nor a MK-17 .09. Perhaps on the smaller props. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the close proximity of the needle to the rear of the prop.

The MVVS is also an excellent engine. Mine do not have mufflers, although someone mentioned awhile back that a muffler is available for it...perhaps somewhat scarce now.

The Mk-17 is also an excellent engine...comes with two intakes for whether you need more suction or power. Make sure your mounts have clearance for the lower crankcase screws, they are a little bit wider than the crankcase. You may need to notch your mounts.

Since we are collectively all over the world, for those who have not seen all of these engines, here are some:
First pic: upper right is MP Jet .061 (plus friends)
Second pic: Mk-17 .09 diesel
Third pic: MVVS .09's
Fourth pic: Top row are TD .09's

mylamo 03-04-2008 10:32 PM

gcb, I had a muffler for an MVVS .09 and it was a carved out
muffler for the .2cc Modela. I am about to cut a semi circle
in an OS muffler for another .09 MVVS. They work pretty well
and really silence it. These are my all time favorite engines in
the 1.5cc size. Just be sure to Locktite everything that has
threads[:o]

misfitsailor 03-05-2008 12:22 AM

I also like the .09 (1.5cc) MVVS. Mine is R/C with muffler and runs very well. Thanks for the tip about the locktite! I just hate to have parts fall off. :D

gcb 03-05-2008 10:39 AM

Good idea, to modify an existing muffler.

Second the Loktite also. I had the venturi retainer screw come loose on one. Just tightened it, didn't think to use Blue Loktite.

George

AMB 03-05-2008 08:55 PM

Ditto lost a nut on mine on the U clamp at least lost no parts muffler or clamp it got louder and I landed---- the MVVS 09 martin

fiery 09-11-2011 08:06 PM

Below is a transcript of David Owen's note on running in the MP Jet .061 BB diesel. It is included as a supplement with MP Jet .061 diesel engines he sells:

************************************************** ************************************************** ********

"These engines are initially set up with tight piston/cylinder liner fits. After correct running in procedures are followed some of the tightness will diminish. These characteristics are normal and will ensure peak performance and long life. The following recommendations should be carefully noted and adhered to:

Upon receipt, do not turn the engine over by hand or with a prop until it is properly fueled and ready to start. Make up some of the running in fuel recommended in the Instruction Leaflet, containing 40% castor oil. This high oil content will assist proper break in and may be reduced when the engine is fully run in. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD SYNTHETIC OILS BE USED"

************************************************** ************************************************** *********

steve111 09-12-2011 01:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can attest to that. Dave and I have been messing around with a new 061BB diesel, and the notes are as a result of what we found.

Out of the (beautifully presented) box this engine was the tightest I've ever seen - squeaky tight (hence the warning on turning it over). The instructions specify fuel with 40% castor for break-in. We thought this a bit odd, seeing as we're talking about a modern TBR engine, so started out with some of my 'standard' 25% oil fuel (I know, at least 30% would be better for a new engine, but I didn't have any on hand). The engine didn't like it much and wasn't all that interested in running - too tight. Using 40% oil made a big difference - it started up easily and felt much nicer after a couple of runs. I gave it a fairly extensive break-in on that fuel before flying it. Once run-in, they specify 35% castor; in practice I'm using 1:1:1. I believe that MP Jet specify the same blend for all their engines, whether the old-style ones or the modern BB, and suspect that the 061BB might be quite happy on a more 'normal' blend once run in. 40% is certainly the way to go for running-in though.

Now that it's run in properly, the engine is a cracker. Starting, both hot and cold, is very good, and the performance is excellent. Even on 1:1:1 fuel it spins an APC 7x3 at 17600 rpm, a good 500 rpm better than a converted BigMig 061. I made a profile Ta-152 for it, but at 32" span and 10 oz it's actually a bit small for the engine. When I get around to it I'll bolt the thing into my old Junior Flitestreak, just to see what happens. Anyway, it's a very nice engine and highly recommended.

Steve

DeviousDave 09-13-2011 07:56 AM

I think the reason they specify 40% is that it's got a steel piston and liner and the taper is very tight. It's not an AAC engine that expands quickly and the parts mate 90% completely in the first few minutes running so the extra lube is there to manage heat and prevent the two parts get thru wear in. I remember on my Schlosser in the first few minutes of running having to reduce the compression as the piston and jug got better acquainted. Nowhere near as much pinch at TDC as an MP-Jet.

I know most fliers here like diesels that lug big props and think an .061 needs an 8-4 on it but the MP-Jet isn't really at it's best on a prop that size. It will do the job without complaint but any .061 will do that job as well-you put an MP Jet on a 1/2A sized airplane that you want to haul the mail with a small diameter prop with square pitch. Rocket Rob best demonstrates this with his Caudron, it dopplers over 100mph. Even a 6-4 or 7-3 on a schoolyard box fuselage airplane will get a little 'lead in it's pencil' with an MP Jet on it. They will spin the hell out of a 6-3 for lots of thrust on a 1/2A engine that needs a little nose weight too.

Just a fantastic engine.

Recycled Flyer 09-13-2011 02:48 PM

With a bore of 11mm and stroke of 10.5mm its almost 'square' and looks designed to rev hard so a small 'square' prop should do well on it.