RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Everything Diesel (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/)
-   -   Hi (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/everything-diesel-87/9921426-hi.html)

AMB 08-09-2010 01:05 PM

Hi

Hi Dave pretty quiet on th site lately martin

Hobbsy 08-09-2010 01:14 PM

RE: Hi

Yes sir, too quiet, too hot to do much here, even too hot to ride the Harley.

pe reivers 08-09-2010 04:22 PM

You should have been over here last week. All big flywheel farming diesel stuff blocking regular road traffic. ^)
Thump-thump-thump-shuga-thumb-shuga-thumb-thumb

AMB 08-09-2010 04:55 PM

Pe a few years back I did a fast 10Knts max with my Budda in a surplus naval launch and then again in my 23ft North sea skiff with a 2 cyl Bukh diesel ( at least not blocking roads)
and thats sort of what it sounded like martin

I had a few last laughs though when a few folks sort of pointed and made a few jokes as they roared by in their high speed boats and a few miles down the river ran out of gas
and I towed them in chuga chuga bang chuga
Back to biz if the temp drops want to get in a flight on my Nuevo 1300 electric conversion with the TT10 davis conversion this week maiden flight

gkamysz 08-09-2010 05:05 PM

I ran this last week. It was louder than I could handle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x-MYdpmmoo

AMB 08-09-2010 05:19 PM

Nice just needs the ring thing like PAW then will sound like a ***** cat not a screaming tiger martin

Did not think the ***** would be an issue ok purring kitten

Hobbsy 08-09-2010 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Manufacturer: John Deere

Fuel: diesel

Aspiration: natural

Cylinders: 2

Valves: 4

Bore/Stroke: 6.125x8.00 inches [156 x 203 mm]

Displacement: 470.7 ci [7.7 L]

Cooling: liquid

Coolant: 35 qts [33.1 L]

Compression: 16:1

Rated RPMs: 1125

Firing order: 1-2

Starter type: V4 gasoline pony motor

Maybe one of these was in the parade. Francis Person gets credit for this discovery, I thought the JD R had the biggest engine but it is a mere 416 cu in. BTW, that pony engine has more HP than most other tractors.

AMB 08-09-2010 08:43 PM

Dave 235C.I per cylinder thats more than a few 4 cylinder cars martin

DeviousDave 08-09-2010 11:41 PM

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

Sounds great!

fiery 08-10-2010 02:21 AM

ETA 15 Mk III ... mmmmm ;)

Still drooling here downunder Greg. The ringing ears afterwards - worth it.

EDIT:

I think we can take a cue from the gl*w forum.

Why not a "Club PAW"

"Club ETA"

"Club Oliver"

etc?

Or, is there not enough interest / activity on this forum?

It would be good to share experiences with fellow enthusiasts of a marque. Might stimulate some nore posts on this forum as well.

Thoughts?

Motorboy 08-10-2010 12:54 PM

Hi, i has ETA 15 with red anodized prop driver and spinner, the box and all papers included :)

Really nice engine with very good quality of hand work by Ken Bedford.

pe reivers 08-10-2010 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Manufacturer: John Deere

Fuel: diesel

Aspiration: natural

Cylinders: 2

Valves: 4

Bore/Stroke: 6.125x8.00 inches [156 x 203 mm]

Displacement: 470.7 ci [7.7 L]

Cooling: liquid

Coolant: 35 qts [33.1 L]

Compression: 16:1

Rated RPMs: 1125

Firing order: 1-2

Starter type: V4 gasoline pony motor

Maybe one of these was in the parade. Francis Person gets credit for this discovery, I thought the JD R had the biggest engine but it is a mere 416 cu in. BTW, that pony engine has more HP than most other tractors.
To young! lacks vintage. Sorry pal!

pe reivers 08-10-2010 05:04 PM

Greg,
In the end you were too lean, and over compressed if my ears still serve me well. (they did suffer though;) )

gkamysz 08-10-2010 08:37 PM

Pe, Yes watching the video it probably was. It long enough to get hot. It's so loud that I could barely think. I only ran it for 30 seconds prior to making the video so I'm not very familiar with it. I put it back in the box to await a location where my neighbors won't be wondering what it happening so I can run it for a while. My ears must be getting more sensitive, as it was just too loud to bear. I wonder if I can make out the compression settings through ear defenders? A couple years back I ran a TD.049 with a pair on and it was OK.

I've drooled over one of these for years, the Elite really, but I refuse to pay the going rate. This one came along at a reasonable price and I couldn't pass it up. I was elated when it felt perfect after a few drops of fresh fuel. I also got a Taifun Orkan (turned out to be new) and Taifun Zyklon at the same time.

Greg

pe reivers 08-11-2010 06:27 AM

Ear defenders work quite well. They are designed not to alter the sound character too much. I wish we had them when I was young. Now I am turbine deaf (around 6000 Hz)

DeviousDave 08-11-2010 10:46 AM

Pe, Yes watching the video it probably was. It long enough to get hot. It's so loud that I could barely think. I only ran it for 30 seconds prior to making the video so I'm not very familiar with it. I put it back in the box to await a location where my neighbors won't be wondering what it happening so I can run it for a while. My ears must be getting more sensitive, as it was just too loud to bear. I wonder if I can make out the compression settings through ear defenders? A couple years back I ran a TD.049 with a pair on and it was OK.

Greg
Ahh, I see. Like me, the onset of adulthood has killed off the memory of just how loud an open exhaust engine can be.... That, and flying electrics for so long has made me notice things that I didn't used to like greasy hands after a flying session, ringing ears etc. It's all worth it in the end though. I didn't mind a 3 hour freeway motorcycle trip or shooting guns without earpro back then either, now I sometimes wear earplugs on long trips in the car.... Tinnitus ain't no fun.

The lower exhaust note of my new diesels is much easier on my ears than the glow motors I have. With the TD. 010 it's always a hurry to set the needle and commit aviation, the PAW and Schlosser I can run in my hands all day.

AMB 08-11-2010 02:40 PM

Devious Dave one of my quietest one is the Kand B 20 sportster Davis head stock muffler,<that I picked up from Bob
The nice thing about diesel the combustion process is over by the time the piston is at the bottom of the stroke unlike
glow its still burning with glow very visible at night with no muffler, you just do not have that high pitched noise at least
at the RPMs I run 11K or less martin

FrancisPerson 08-12-2010 09:12 PM

I will have to post a video on youtube of this John Deere 820s under load

Thanks
Francis

Mr Cox 08-13-2010 02:38 AM

ORIGINAL: AMB
glow its still burning with glow very visible at night with no muffler
I have heard similar statements before, but part of that light is simply the glowplug glowing, I don't think I have ever seen any exhaust flames or anything coming out a cox engine...

I don't think that pure methanol shows any flame when it burns.

DeviousDave 08-13-2010 11:01 AM

I've seen white flame come from cox engines in the dark.