Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > EvoJet Direct Support
Reload this Page >

Evojet 180vx running and starting problem

Notices
EvoJet Direct Support When you have questions and need help from the source, discuss the EvoJet here.

Evojet 180vx running and starting problem

Old 08-17-2013, 12:19 PM
ZivBit

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Evojet 180vx running and starting problem

Greetings,

My name is Ziv from Israel.
I have been running my evojet 180vx on my eurosport. I have flown the plane about 20 flights so far and it ran perfectly, and I was very happy.
Here is a video of the plane:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZafTyUnoBk

Then problems started in my last flying day:
1. the turbine starts, runs on idle, then when i give it full throttle it would not go beyond 60-65% thrust. I shut the engine, tried again few time, and flew one more flight. this happened 3 times.
2. today I started the engine in my backyard - the engine starts, then when it reaches idle there is a strange "hum" sounds like a mechanical noise, and after few more seconds it cuts off automatically. happened 3 times. could not start the engine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ziv
Old 04-23-2019, 04:50 AM
kimhey

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever get the issue solved?

I got mine back from service a year ago, started it yesterday and have the excact same issue...

Kim
Old 04-24-2019, 04:35 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Kim:
His post was more then 6 years ago. He may or may not still be here on the Forums. I have two Evo engines with one of them 10 years old and the other 9 years old both with a couple hundred plus hours on them. Both extremely reliable. The older engine, I did just go and buy a new flight pack, ECU, pump, starter, and valve. Wore the first set out. I would suggest that you check all of your connections. Reset the ECU to factory new in the memory. Relearn RC. And, make sure that you are using oil in the fuel. Otherwise, Claudia and Arno are very helpful and simply return it to them.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:34 PM
kimhey

Thank you for your input, I will try some more troubleshooting. During the start sequence, it just will not stabilize and hand the controls over to me, but stays at some 50’-ish rpm and shuts down itself. “time” displayed, indicating blocked/restricted fuel lines according to the manual. I have tried different tanks and everything swapped out fuel vise, but no change. As I write this, I just recall that there might be a filter under the turbine cover...I will check once I get home..
Old 04-28-2019, 04:53 PM
RCFlyerDan

Mine hung up in the 50’s a couple times too. What finally solved it was a new ecu. But, before you buy one, try some of these things. It might be a signal issue between the ecu and receiver. So, replace the male-male servo lead. Could be a signal issue between the ECU and the engine, so replace Ethernet cable. The plugs get old. Reset the engine back to factory settings. This is found under STATISTICS #27. Set to YES, then cycle the battery power switches. Then do an R/C Thottle reset and relearn throttle parameters. Try a start. If no success, Go to LIMITS #32 and make sure that the voltage is set 9.9 V. Then go to AUTOSTART #43 and set to Max 40 seconds. Try a start. If no, then you may have to start buying components, like an ECU, fuel pump, starter, or valve. Try the other stuff first because it is the free trouble shooting items.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:29 AM
RCFlyerDan

Well Kim!

You jinxed me! LOL>>>.

I tried to fly today, and having the same acceleration issues once started. I reset the ecu, changed the male-male plug, and then the next two starts hung up at 58k. It has to get to 60k to finish the calibration sequence. I’m going to take the ECU out and check it for updates. I will also make my own male-male plug wire. There is a start valve under the engine cover. It’s the only thing that I haven’t changed out. I truly think that it is a signal issue.
Please let me know what you find out, and I will do the same.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:50 PM
RCFlyerDan

Afternoon Kim!

I have worked on my engine running and starting issues. I have switched radios to Jeti, and a new ECU, pump, valve and starter motor. I definitely think it is a signal issue. I noticed here at home setting it up again, that when Resetting engine and relearning the radio that my "ms" number was .83 and the book recommends 1.00 ms. My idle was down at 1.04 ms, and the book recommends 1.25 ms. At full power, the recommended value is 2.00 ms. I had to adjust the number in "Travel Adjustment" or "End Point" to get the engine's ms number to where I want it.
I changed mine and just did two starts with no issues. Both starts would make 100% and acceleration is back the way it should be. I changed my throttle setting to "Hard" and seems to be a faster response. I changed my acceleration time from 4 sec down to 3 sec.
I haven't flown it again, but like I said, I just had two successful starts and acceleration. Not sure it you read that after resetting the engine ecu, the first start needs to run at 100% for 10 seconds minimum.
Will keep you posted! Dan
Old 04-30-2019, 09:03 PM
kimhey

Great to hear that you got two successful starts, after having similar starting issues as me. I am now more motivated so start troubleshooting when I get time, next days are packed with work and preparing my other models for an event in a couple of days. Thanks for keeping me in the loop
Old 05-06-2019, 12:57 PM
RCFlyerDan

Hello Kim!

I was able to get fly three flights today. First start, started, went through calibration at 60k+ rpm, went down to idle limit. Went to full throttle for 10+ seconds for max rpm and it made rpms. Went to idle and started to taxi out. Delayed or sluggish throttle response. It would take 6+ seconds to accelerate to full throttle, making rpm. I did fly it with no issues, but kept throttle response in mind. Before the next flight, I started to search for throttle settings in the radio. I fly Jeti. I found that when I was probably trouble shooting earlier in my engine issues, I had increased my throttle stick movement to 100%. This isn’t travel adjustments or End Points. I set the Throttle Stick movement back down to 50% at both ends. Relearned R/C Engine settings. Perfect start, the engine went through it’s normal calibration. I did another 10+ seconds full throttle calibration. It met rpm numbers. Acceleration was back to a normal running engine. Had a great flight! Fueled up for the next flight. Went to start, and it had a failed start not reaching calibration at about 58k rpm. Let it cool down, next start it went through normal start, normal acceleration and a good flight.

So, the issues are definitely communication. Check all of your transmitter settings that are rarely looked at after set up. Good luck! Dan
Old 08-30-2022, 05:13 AM
Trod1965

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo jet engine

My evo 180 is shutting down no smoke at full power after about 3 to 8 seconds. Anyone ever had this happen and what was the fix.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:18 AM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by Trod1965
My evo 180 is shutting down no smoke at full power after about 3 to 8 seconds. Anyone ever had this happen and what was the fix.
Good morning Trod,

What did the GSU say for the last reason of shutdown. Could be battery? Especially if LiFe. What was last fuel pump voltage? Could be UAT bag or stone needs replaced or cleaned. Could be fuel or vent line kinked, could be the pump has worn out. Arno will help you troubleshoot if you send him a video showing start, run, and flame out. He’ll need to see last run, pump voltage, battery voltage, and other run information.