Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Exceed RC Support - Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Falcon 40 tail motor failures

Community
Search
Notices
Exceed RC Support - Helicopter Discuss all Helicopter Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

Falcon 40 tail motor failures

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Eldorado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Falcon 40 tail motor failures

Dear Sirs,

I have gone through two tail motors now. The original failed after about two weeks (just as I was getting good control). I purchased a new one and it lasted 5-6 flights with a similar failure in mid flight, becoming very twitchy with the heli requiring alot of tail rotor input for control. I do not want to keep buying new tail motors if this is a defect somewhere else in the electronics. My question is...

Is this a defect (or problem elsewhere) or are the motors substandard?

Thanks,
Eldorado
Old 03-26-2007, 03:39 PM
yadac123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Falcon 40 tail motor failures

Well I don't think the tail motor has any problems but you have to keep this in mind, you have to replace parts from time to time.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Eldorado

Yadac123 replied...
Well I don't think the tail motor has any problems but you have to keep this in mind, you have to replace parts from time to time.
Dear Yadac123,

Thanks for the reply, but I disagree with you. Is 5-6 flights the expected life-span forr the tail motor? Remember the original tail motor lasted only 2 weeks as well. That's why I'm wondering if there is some other problem in the electronics/wiring or a better motor available.

Thanks,
Eldorado
Old 03-27-2007, 03:01 PM
yadac123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did put a heat sink on to it?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Eldorado

did put a heat sink on to it?
Yadac,

Thanks for the help but you are not answering the original question. Why would I want to put a heat sink on the tail motor? The motors do not heat up that much and again I cannot believe that the motor would burn out after 5-6 flights!

Can anyone out there address the original tail motor question? Are there any upgrade motors (tail or main) anyone would recommend?

Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:07 AM
scarpa

I'm brand new to this stuff but from what I've read, tail motors especially are prone to burning out without heatsinks. I'm not going to fly my Eagle 50 until my heatsink set arrives for the main and tail motors.

--
Joe
Old 03-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Eldorado

ORIGINAL: scarpa

I'm brand new to this stuff but from what I've read, tail motors especially are prone to burning out without heatsinks. I'm not going to fly my Eagle 50 until my heatsink set arrives for the main and tail motors.

--
Joe
Thanks Joe.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Bitsowner

Eldorado, I'm a newbie at helo's too, but good with electrics. What I would suggest for you to try is, get a volt metter (cheap one will work) and couple of c or d batterys and put them in a holder. (much like you find in any old style radio) radio shack sells them. Now measure the volts from your batterys, should be about 3 dc volts, then, carefully find one wire from your motor, red or black, and put red lead from volt metter to it, find the same wire at the other end where it contacts its power source (might even be removable from the controller) then touch this with the red lead from your c or d battery supply, now connect the 2 black wires (or last remining) from battery pack and volt metter, you should see 3 volts. Test both wires. What you are testing for is volts not ohms,.. Case in point, if your motor with has lets say 6 to 8 little wires in it, it only takes 1 (one) to fool an ohm metter, where as when you apply a voltage into it, 1 wire will not give you the correct amount of space to allow the volts to go through. Then you will have at least either found the problem, or elimated it as a possible.. Hope this helps. Now if I could just get the nerve to throttle my falcon up higher, I fly'n it on the kitchen floor..Good luck, let me know...........:-)
Old 01-11-2008, 11:08 AM
RobBeach

Also test to see if you tail spindle (the rod that the tail blade is attached) is spinning relatively frictionless.
Grasp the little ball end spin it... should move freely.
Look, or feel the gears... make sure the tail motor gear is not jammed up
against the gear of the tail rotor itself thusly causing undue friction.
You should be able to move the tail blade (rotor) and see a tiny bit of wiggle
between the two gears.... as well a little wiggle of the tail rotor and its gear on
the spindle... ie: nothing jammed up against each other with a little wiggle room
for frictionless play.