Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagle50

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Eagle50

I have just purchased an eagle50 and i am having problems setting it up. When ithrottle up to check the trim the heli suddenly has a short burst of power and heads skywards. i am a newbie, so if anyone has some advice keep it simple.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Eagle50

So you need to start off slowly since this is a 6ch and you're a newbie you're starting the hard way. Fly tail facing towards you all the time. slowly spin up and fly by doing bunny hops. You can find out what's bunny hop by watching the exceed g2 video.

Andy
    Andy - Official Exceed RC Support Forum Host

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Andy, I have also got a Walkera 4 which Ihave been flying ( allbe it very basic ). My main concern is the motor surge. I have the throttle trim on minimum and all other trims are on about centre. The PLT is at 12 oclock and and the PIT is on 2 o''clock. The limit and delay are also on minumum. Could it be the receiver or the transmitter. The receiver is very hot after these surges. The heli is brand new.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The dip switch on the back #8 must be flipped to "unlock" the knobs on the top for the following adjustments.

Try turning down the knob on the top left (PLT).
    And turn the knob on the top right up a little (PIT).
    This will make the helicopter less likely to jump off the ground and act more like a fixed pitch helicopter which I think also makes it easier to learn. Don''t turn up the pitch (PIT) too much because you do want the blades to spin up at a fast rate... too much pitch and the blades, motor, will bog down.

And also it's a good idea to get some rubber bands and secure the switch top right front in the
    "N" Normal mode so you don't accidentally flip it to the "1" mode which is 3D (aerobatics mode).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the tips. I will try what you said. So do you leave the #8 dip on all the time? If the settings you have explained were not set right, would that cause the motor to suddenly rev up and then slow down as it has every time I have tried to trim up the heli

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I leave the #8 unlocked because I am always fiddling around...

No. the PLT and PIT knobs would not make the heli do as you descibed.

Make sure you turn on the transmitter first........ then plug the battery of the helicopter in. Wait ten seconds before you touch anything else. There have been times when I have replaced the receiver and all of a sudden the helicopter went full throttle.
    I can only guess there was a few milliseconds or so that the receiver and the transmitter were confused.

Make sure your throttle is down all the way... and the tab slider for the throttle is also down all the way.

The settings I mentioned above are for dumbing down the helicopter.... so it is less reactive to
    the CCPM... which means Collective Cyclic Pitch Movement which is controlled by the PLT knob.
    The PLT means Pitch Limit Throttle. As you move the throttle past 50% the pitch, the angle of the blades
    also increase. The PLT knob controls that. If you turn down the PLT knob... the blades will not move as much
    as you increase the throttle.

I would suggest reading all the messages in this forum and the messages for the Walkera 22e
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3722641/tm.htm because your helicopter is the same as the 22E.
    You will learn a lot.

And I doubt or don''t know... but it''s probably not a good idea to run your microwave oven or other heavy
    transmitting devices near your helicopter while you fire it up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for all your information robreach, It certainly has cleared up some of my issues. The problem I am still having with the eagle 50 is the sudden surge of power when the throttle is a bit short of half way. As I have said before, this surge is for a split second, but is enough to get the heli airbourne. When this surge happens I am not in the process of adjusting anything, it just happens without warning. I am at the stage now of just forgetting about the eagle 50. I have spent $330.00AU for the heli and some spare parts and still haven't been able to do much more than let it sit in my office collecting dust. As it is at the moment it is dangerous. The company I bought the eagle 50 from has told me it is the esc and they would send me a new one. I haven't received any correspondence as to what they have done to date. I am beginning to think that this product is a lemon and I have blown my money as no-one has tried to remedy the situation. Is this common practice in the rc helicopter industry?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

From what I know... the "esc" is built into the receiver..... So you would be getting a new receiver.
    I have heard that there is a problem with some receivers.
    You are dealing with inexpensive electronics. So go figure... ie.... snafu's...
    I have two 50's... just so I could beta test them against each other...
    I have gotten motors with the wires switched and they spun backwards... and
    then switched the wires not switching the diode... and burnt up motors and a receiver
    catching fire...
    Everything on the "bird" is controlled from the receiver... so you may have a bum receiver.
    Hopefully it will work out for you. Obviously... if you drop a new receiver in... then it may
    be a loose wire in the transmitter... then it's almost worth buying a second heli that comes
    with the transmitter... and another whole bird of spare parts or beta bird.
    On more expensive heli's the gyro... the esc.. and the receiver are separate.
    Thusly... on the 50's et al... that's a lot of stuff in one tiny little box.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I do really find it hard to comprehend that I should buy a spare eagle 50 for spare parts just in case the original one I have purchased does'nt work. I have never come across that way of thinking before. One would assume that when you buy a new product it would be in working order. I fully understand that there will be a need for spare parts along the way, but I think it would be a fair comment to say that my original purchase (of the eagle 50 ) should have been usable for some period of time before replacing parts. The thing is dangerous. All I can say is that I was lucky I was outside when it first occurred. The information you have given me to date has been very much appreciated, but I do think that the companies that sell these products should maybe look at quality control a little closer. What would my rights be if that out of control heli hit someone or something and did damage or injury?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well flying RC is a choice right? That why there are flying fields and AMA license so that insurance are covered in case of accident. All eagle 50 are test fly at the assembly line. I'm sure a surge is not from the power. Have you check the freq and interference. there is a posibility that someone is running the same freq nearby.

The eagle 50 is not a lemon as there are many many happy customers.

Andy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Yadac123, Thanks for the reply. At the moment I am only trying to trim my heli. As you would have read, my heli would not have been able to fly because the grub screw on the axis was loose and the main gear was just spinning. I had to order another axis gear from my supplier. They supplied it at no cost to me, which I appreciated. I live on a farm and as far as I could assume there wasn't anything in the near vicinity that could have caused interference. I was very aware of this after the first time it happened. All I am trying to do is get this problem solved so I can enjoy this hobby. I have a Walkera 4 and have learnt a lot with it and buying the eagle 50 was a step to collective pitch.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have just been in touch with the supplier and they are sending me a new receiver. I will keep you posted as to how it goes. Hopefully it will be problem solved.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andy, If it is a frequency problem is it as simple as changing the crystals in the transmitter and receiver?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Crystal going bad is very rare. Since you are already getting a new receiver then try receiver first.

Andy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andy, My new receiver arrived yesterday. I put it in the heli last night and tried it this morning. I had the same problem. I took it in to my nearest hobby shop to see what they thought might be the problem. It turns out it is the motor. They put another motor in for me and the heli is now performing the way it should. It has cost me a 1 hour trip to town plus the new motor ($25.00) but at least its working. Thanks for your help along the way.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andy and / or Robbeach, Could you advise me as to what motor to use on the Eagle 50. The original motor that came with it died before I had a chance to fly it and now the replacement motor I put in it has died. I have made sure there is a little play on the motor to the main gear and have heat sinks. Am I doing something wrong or is it just these 370 motors. Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Forgot to mention that these motor burn outs are not a result of leaving the throttle on after a crash. The problem with the first motor was as described earlier and the second motor just died when I was about 1 foot off the ground (thankfully). The tail motor was the only one working properly. Checked the main motor after I had taken it off the heli and it did not rotate at all, only a burning smell. Also I had removed the yellow stickers. Would the Esky honeybee king 2 370 brushed motor work on the Eagle 50.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Usually on the sticker or somewhere is the tag 370 D...
    So if you see that it should be ok but I can't promise you.
    The pinion gear might be different.. the Bee says 9 teeth..
    My motor has 10 teeth. You can get a bad lot of motors...
    I usually buy 3 or 5 at a time, and I've some that seemed
    not as good than others... mind you I have bought from many
    different suppliers.

Try to buy from a different supplier and maybe try a Walkera 22e motor hm-22e-z-17
    if you are having bad luck from your guy with those motors.

And just so you know if you haven't read, hovering takes the most energy
    except for coming backwards tail in.
    You need to let your motors cool off between flights... touch the motors
    and you will see if they are hot.

Good luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks RobBeach, The 2 motors I have were RK-370SD. They both have 9 tooth gears. As I said before the 1st motor didn't even get to hover and the second one had about 3flights ( 3 batteries ).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andy, What is exceeds policy on these faulty motors? Do they replace them for the purchaser, or is it up to us to replace them. What are your suggestions on what replacement motors to use?
    Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Exceed's warranty policy is 30 days.

Andy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andy, I received my eagle 50 on the 31st of March 2008. As you can see form the conversations in this thread the problem with the motors happened before the 30 days warranty. Does this mean that they were still in warranty and if so how do I go about claiming them. My order no. is 344330

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alright I'll send you a replacement main motor.

Andy
    ORIGINAL: crambell

Andy, I received my eagle 50 on the 31st of March 2008. As you can see form the conversations in this thread the problem with the motors happened before the 30 days warranty. Does this mean that they were still in warranty and if so how do I go about claiming them. My order no. is 344330

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thankyou Andy, It is great to have a contact system like this. It has been a great help to me with many questions being answered and problems sorted. However, since my last contact the new receiver has died. It is the same channel as the original one (ch. 3 ). I don't know if it is a coincidence or there is something else causing it to happen. I am considering just scrapping the Eagle 50 as I have had it about 1 month and in all about 1 hour flying time. 2 motors, 2 receivers and 1 gear axis have died to date. It has not cost me anything thus far, but I am sure you are sick of reading about my hassles with this heli. Maybe it is time for me to move on. What would you suggest would be a good heli to move on too?
    Regards
    Chris

The main motor on the eagle 50 has a number of xrk-370sh-4928f, while the motor for a elite or honeybee says rk-370sd-4045, i would say the last number is probably rpms , so i would guess there is not enough head speed to create lift. that is the only thing i can figure out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast