Community
Search
Notices
Exceed RC Support - Helicopter Discuss all Helicopter Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

Tail motors & the 4-1

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:12 AM
cflytrap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail motors & the 4-1

Hey all,

I have an Eagle 50 and it flies well. The rudder trim on the tx is currently 3-4 "clicks" over to the right. This is what I need to be trimmed to, to be able to hover with the sticks centered.

My question is, can I adjust the gyro part of the 4-1 to allow me to bring the rudder trim on the tx back to center?

From what I understand, applying right rudder input increases the speed of the tail motor and brings the nose of the heli around to the right (like steering a car). The tail end moves left. Is this correct?

The 4-1 has adjustable pots for delay, and limit. I know that delay=gyro sensitivity or "gain" so you can hold a heading. So does increasing the value of the limit pot increase the speed of the tail motor? Would increasing the limit on the 4-1 allow me to move my rudder trim back to center? If I did increase the limit would the gain need to be adjusted as well?

I just dont wanna mess up my current config. Like I said, it flies well.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 04:40 PM
yadac123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tail motors & the 4-1

Yes the limit actually is a boundry of the limit on the tail motor. If you heli flies fine then I don't see why you have to mess with that setting.

Andy
Old 07-21-2008, 05:43 PM
cflytrap

The only reason I want to mess with it is to get all my trims close to center as possible. Even with 3-4 clicks to the right on rudder trim I still find myself applying more right rudder input than left while hovering around.

Am I making too big of a deal out of this?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:05 PM
yadac123

You can adjust and try just make sure you remember your current position so you can go back anytime.

Andy
Old 07-22-2008, 06:48 PM
cflytrap

@Andy

I need the tail to be spinning a little harder I think. It yaws left a bit when I try to climb out. So increasing the limit increases the maximum performance I can get out of the tail motor, making its boundaries higher?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:09 PM
yadac123

unfortunately this has to do with revo mix and only can be deal with in advance helicopters. When you trottle up fast your motor spin up but only advance gyro can detect the change quick enough to compensate this. This is called revo mix.

Andy
Old 07-22-2008, 10:33 PM
cflytrap

@ Andy

Ok. Well being that it is a 4-1 that doesnt have revo mix capability, would increasing the "limit" cause my tail motor to have higher rpm's along the throttle curve?

thanks for helping me understand this
Old 07-24-2008, 07:19 PM
yadac123

Yes.

Andy
Old 07-29-2008, 01:14 AM
cflytrap

Allrightee thanks Andy that helped out. I got down to messin with the pots on the gyro and I was able to get my Eagle 50's tail to hold nicely. Its alot better. I got a few more good flights out of it last week.

Today I was balancing my main blades on the bench and my tail motor stopped working altogether. I am very fortunate that it didn't happen while I was flying. It was a good motor and has lasted for a fair while I think (3 months). I had a boomstrike earlier on it when I was still learning but the motor took no damage and I have flown quite a few times since then.

I am wondering if the reason I needed to pump up the motor's limit recently was because the motor was actually near the end of its life? I gave no real indication it was going to die. While checking my tracking it just stopped, no sputter, just stopped. I checked for voltage output on the rx603 tail motor output and its all good so I know its the tail motor.

She was a good little motor. Had a decent life I think. I didnt fly it too hard. Glad its $10 parts while on the bench instead of the heli doing the "toilet flush" in midair and crash