Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

g2 se battery problems

I have had my g2 for about 3 months and have flown it about a dozen times until recently the battery seemed to lose power to lift the heli off the ground after a full charge. I fully charge the battery, put it in the heli and within a few minutes of charging take it outside and connect the leads. I could spin up the rotors to close to 50% throttle and then beyond that I have lift off and flight. After some time of newbie flying there comes a point in time where if I am on the ground and attempting to lift off and the heli literally cuts the power off at anything beyond 50% which I might refer to as auto rotation mode. (no power but free turning rotors) At this point, if I continue to "play" with the heli I can bring the throttle all the way back to zero and forward again causing the rotors to spin a bit, but the amount of throttle I can use to spin them before this cut off happens will progressively be less and less as the battery continues to weaken. Also, once this cut off happens can I ever get enough power to lift off. This sounds normal and intentional to me. What is happening now is that after the full charge and connecting up the battery and spinning up the rotors with any amount of throttle over 50% the heli goes right into that auto rotation cut off mode? Main shaft appears to be fine and motor is flush with gears and voltage checks confirmed the battery has the correct voltage after charging. I have since purchased a second battery slightly diff in physical size but same same mAH as the org. The new battery worked fine except after 2 flights it began to exhibit the same behavior as the org battery. I have read on some posts that completely discharging a li-po battery is bad. Is that my problem is it something else?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: g2 se battery problems

have you measure the battery's voltage after fully charged?

Andy
    Andy - Official Exceed RC Support Forum Host

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

after a full charge (according to the green light on the charger) the battey voltage was 10.4
    after running the heli for less than 1 min the voltage reading was down to 8.3 (obviously not enough power to lift off)
    after letting the battery sit for about 15 min the voltage had raised up to 9.28 (don't know if that is normal)

from my previous experience with the orginal battery i am sure you are going to tell me this battery is bad too since its not reading 11.1 but what is killing the batteries? is there anything else I should check?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

a 11.1V battery should be 12.6v after full charge. what's your order number? did any of cells puffed up?

Andy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Order number from the orginal purchase of the heli? (note: second battery was not purchased from exceed) one end battery cell covering is slightly raised and when I push on it it feels like there is slightly raised "air pocket" underneath. the pocket runs the along the entire flat side of the battey cell up to where the wires are connected and wrapped. the other end battery covering is laying completely flat on the cell and has no air pocket at all and the center cell looks fine too. overall all 3 cells do not look overly distored in any other way. just the one cell with the "air pocket." again, if this second battery is bad, what is causing this?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

alot of reason that it puff ups. crashes, running the battery more than the spec.

Andy