Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: G2 Noob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G2 Noob

Just got my bird today, first time really into the hobby, all other flying was done on pretty simple 4ch models. And I excitedly took the heli to the park today after following the manuals setup (and the CG is lame, I have so much weight in the front and it's still a little tail heavy, going to get some lead or something) but anyway... everything looks good, parts function to radio commands, swashplate looks level, blades track nicely but at full throttle it just barely took its own weight off the ground. What should I look for to remedy this?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: G2 Noob

Well after hours of reading and being up late with class tomorrow lol... I figured out the problem. There is something wrong with the pitch servo. At first I merely unhooked the motor and moved the throttle to watch the pitch mechanism move, it didn't move much but I figured that must be as far as it's supposed to. But still it seemed weird because my pitch at max throttle didn't seem much different than at zero. So I unhooked the linkage to the servo so I could move the mechanism by and and it moved many times further than when the servo was attached. So I hooked the battery back up and did the throttle again just watching the exposed gear and it barely moved.

So with that I e-mailed the site I got it from and we'll see what we can do since it's brand new.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if removeing the servo has more travel then you are binding some where. Remove the servo arm on the pitch servo and reposition it.

ANdy
    Andy - Official Exceed RC Support Forum Host

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

But it's the servo itsself; I can move the rotor assemblies fine by hand when taken off the servo, but even without all that connected to the servo so that it's not bearing any weight when given radio commands the servo barely moves.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok are the other servo behave the same way? I think your servo is defective.

Andy
    ORIGINAL: darkfall13

But it's the servo itsself; I can move the rotor assemblies fine by hand when taken off the servo, but even without all that connected to the servo so that it's not bearing any weight when given radio commands the servo barely moves.
    Andy - Official Exceed RC Support Forum Host

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't get discouraged. I just got into helicopters myself. It is probably one of the most difficult RC platform I have ever tried. They look cool and it looks easy when someone else does it. I bought a G2 just before X-mas and did what is probably the most common and first mistake new heli pilots make and thought I knew how to fly. I crashed pretty hard once and after that the esc went. While I was waiting for parts I picked up a used blade 400 for cheap from a friend. I thought to myself, I am not going to screw this up again. I found RADD's school of rotary flight.
    http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
    Follow this to the T and you will be hovering in ten practice sessions. I learned to hover on the blade, and now the G2 is actually a pleasure to hover. I can hover for a full pack without any problems and no training gear. Print out the instructions and follow them it will save time and money. Getting a better battery will extend flight time, and it will add weight to the nose of the bird. When you practice it needs to be somewhere you can concentrate and no pets it the area. Almost lost my dog the first time I spooled up. You wouldn't walk on to an airfield and hop into a chopper by yourself and expect to live, kind of the same idea. I have learned that patience is cheaper than anxiousness when it comes to helicopters. First upgrade should be the servos, what a difference.
    Wisdom is only as good as the person you give it to.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the link hrdcoreglf, and yadac123, it's the only servo that does that, the others have full range of motion, and xheli said they'd send me a new one. In the mean time its just simulators and nice little upgrades; like lead for my CoM and velcro for the battery

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok this is no fun...

I was reading some articles and before "hopping" which at the moment is beyond my heli, someone suggested driving along the ground as an rc car would. I tried it out the other day and was having a blast, finally getting to see those rotors spin again. But then the heli died after about 3 minutes. And this was a fully charged battery. So I go through this process a few times and each time flights last 3-5 minutes. But it was advertised to do 20 minutes, or with the li-po option even more. And I got the premium model with a li-po battery.

And I still don't have that servo I was promised last week.

I'm not currently in a great mood about my first experience with my first 6ch heli or xheli... maybe I should have done rc truck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I never touched a sim, I just followed Radd's instruction. It is not going to be easy, but you will fly. Sliding around on the floor will help you get used to the controls and you will see how sensative the controls are. What ever you do don't let anyone elae try to fly it. My brother-in-law was over the other day watching me hover my blade 400. He asked if he could try. I figured he would get nervous and hand it back. 10 seconds in he crashed it, $30 later back in the air. Just a simple tip over is like my 1/8 buggy hitting a wall at 45MPH. Thank god parts are cheap.
    Wisdom is only as good as the person you give it to.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andy, what are the best servos that xHeli sells for the G2 to include the digital servo for the tail? I think you mentioned it in one of your other posts but I can't remember which one. The same for the gyro?