Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

g2 head speed

Hey all, I am new to this site, and rc heli all together. i decided that I would jump into it head first and bought a raptor g2. The deal was killer so I couldn't pass it up. been doing good so far about 10 successful hovers 2 feet off the ground. then i got a little exited and well...crashed. nothing to major i thought. one piece of linkage was bent and my pitch was off. I straightened out the linkage, checked my blade tracking, and eyeballed my pitch (waiting on my pitch gauge to arrive). now when I try to take off it seems to vibrate a little more than usual. it gets about 2 feet off the ground then you can hear the head slow down and it settles back to the ground. after that it wont lift off even at full throttle. if i let it wind down to a stop and throttle up again it will lift off and then slow down all over again.
    any ideas?????

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: g2 head speed

Unplug your motor, turn your helo on, and look at the pitch servo and ensure it's going up as you add throttle. If it goes up like it should, ensure the links are snug, but not binding. Recheck your blade pitch also. The vibration is probably due to the blades not tracking properly. If you have a brushed motor, forget about sustained flights. IMO, need to invest in a brushless motor and ESC. Check out my new post with pics of my upgraded G2.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have unpluged the motor and my servo is working properly. and I only eyeballed the pitch since my pitch gauge has not arrived yet. I do have the upgraded version of the g2(cnc head, tail, brushless everything and lipo)
    Just for clarifacation...its the same linkage that adjusts the tracking and pitch??? if not, which link does each function.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, the same linkage adjust blade tracking and pitch. If you're just into hovering and straight flying, I have my blade pitch at -2 no throttle, +3 at midstick, and +10 at full throttle. For 3D, obviously the pitch range must change drastically. One other thing, check to see if your feathering shaft is bent (you have to disassemble the head to get to it). Then, check your ESC if the helo is powering down like you said. You may need to reprogram it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

is there a diagram to get to the feathering shaft??
    I have the standard controler for the raptor g2. How would you reprogram the esc??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't think so - I had to look at a blow-up pic of the CNC G2 at Xheli.com to put my CNC head and tail together [:@]! Your best bet is to try and remember the steps you take in pulling it apart. The head does not sport "thrust" bearings like most helos - just regular bearings. As far as reprogrammng the ESC, it can be complicated. Some cards are only made for a particular ESC, so check before you buy. I don't know what type you have, but you can go to any Hobby store and purchase an ESC programming card (costs around $10.00) or order on the Internet. Where did you get your bird from? Call their customer service and see if they can offer you any help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got my bird from xheli.com. very pleased with it. it came promptly, and flew right out of the box. my only complaint it the lipo battery. its weak. my buddy got a 2100 lipo and there is a huge difference. at least 3 times longer flight time. got a couple on back order at the local hobby shop.
    Is the feathering shaft the one that connects the pitch slider to the servo? also... i just thought of this. after the crash, when i tried to fly it again, the battery got fairly hot and swelled a little. It wasnt to hot to touch, but i thought it was to warm. Do you think this could be my problem? i am not sure if that could cause the battery to not hold a decent charge.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The feathering shaft connects both blades to the rotor head. If it is bent in any way, you will have vibrations and it will be almost impossible to track your blades. Very simple removal/installation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I havent checked the feathering shaft yet, but I did take it in to HobbyTown and they think my esc is bad. unfortunately they said there is no way to check my speed control. Is that true? They want me to buy a new one from eflite. I will check the shaft. any suggestions to make things easier??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is a way to check the speed control - you can unplug your current BL motor, have them hook up another motor and see if it has the same problems. If so, then you need another ESC. I recommend a 35A ESC. BTW, I have an Eflite 35A ESC on my G2.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My ESC was the problem. the one that came with the bird was not programable, so i got a volcano series one from xheli. It works great and she flies again!